Mustang Evolution Forum banner

To go catless or not, another exhaust thread

Tags
exhaust
5K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  FirstGeneration 
#1 ·
Live in WI and we have mandatory emissions testing every two years. Just did mine and don't need to do it again until September of 18. Thinking about adding an OR mid to open up the sound a bit. Current setup is Lethal Performance overaxle and GT500 AB. Had Flowmasters on and liked the sound but the low RPM drone was awful. Ears would literally ring after driving for too long.
Want the tone of the GT500's but louder. Wonding if an OR X or H will give me what I'm looking for or will it be drone all over again?

Downsides to going catless besides needing to switch them out every two years to pass emissions?

How bad is the exhaust smell? IT's my daily driver and I often have a pair of shorties in the back being dropped off at school.

Thanks all,
Paul

#4 ·
I like the smell of fuel but that is me and I also drive a v6 so I'm sure the GT's dump a little more fuel so the smell could be stronger.

It is definitely noticeable when idle at a light but when in motion I do not notice it at all.

My wife hates it when I have the Ghost Cam tune on because of the extra amount of fuel that is dumped but she loves the shake and sound. So she just asks for the windows to be up and the A/C cranked.

#12 ·
All good feedback everyone. Thank you. That pretty much answers my question. Sounds like the smell would drive me crazy after awhile. May check into Jack's high flow cats and see what those do to the sound. Also might check out the Borla Stingers with resonators deleted. I hear those are a bit louder than the GT500 AB sans any drone. Haven't been able to find any good sound clips that showcase the stingers without resonators though.

#13 ·
It smells but if ur the driver you get used to it lol every time I pull up everyone smells it and says it's really strong but it doesn't smell to me at all anymore. I'm in California and I'm sure our emission laws might be enforced stricter and I haven't had any trouble at all. I've been pulled over but never had them check the cats. You can't even see them from under the car or through the hood, no way a cop would put in the time and effort to check for cats. I was in the same boat as you and it's been 2 years and glad I did it!

#14 ·
Oh also about ur concern over drone, my friend has a borla stinger catback with off-road x pipe and it drones. I had gt500s with off-road h pipe and no drone. I now have corsa sports with off-road x pipe and tried h pipe and it drones. So don't be surprised if u get the Borland and end up with drone! I was!

#16 ·
I literally only smell it if I'm outside the car. Do you guys have an exhaust leak that you smell it in the car?

Catless will result in slightly more ponies, couldn't comment on sound since I did all my exhaust at once. People have mentioned it makes the car louder. Plus it gets rid of those annoying meows. Go catless!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#17 ·
I literally only smell it if I'm outside the car. Do you guys have an exhaust leak that you smell it in the car?

Catless will result in slightly more ponies, couldn't comment on sound since I did all my exhaust at once. People have mentioned it makes the car louder. Plus it gets rid of those annoying meows. Go catless!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
I'm referring to outside the car obviously. I have a basement garage, and my first mustang had no cats. I could not park it in the garage because it would stink the whole house up when I started it.

#18 ·
I don't have any issues with smell at all, unless I'm behind the car of course. But even then it's not bad at all. I could tell a little difference with my butt dyno and it definitely made it a little louder. I always hollow my cats on my vehicles and put them back on. Can always tell a difference.

#19 ·
I have Kooks off road headers and x-pipe. It stinks when you are just sitting in traffic with the windows down and/or the vent sucking in outside air.

It doesn't bother me though.

In regards to emissions, there are legal ways to register your vehicle with no catalytic converters. You need to have collector's insurance, but you will need to have an extra vehicle at the registered address and you will be limited to the miles driven per year. Some plans may have unlimited miles, but I think the cost may be too high.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.