Mustang Evolution Forum banner

My retrofit.

1K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  Grimkreg 
#1 · (Edited)
So whats up guys so I'm going to be retrofitting my "2011 Stock HID" headlights. I want to upgrade the projector itself since I am not very satisfied with the output and no one anywhere has done this to excising hid headlights. I've been looking around and trying to see who has done what but it seems I'm the first to tackle this( please correct me if I'm wrong). This will take most likely weeks since I am going to need to order the stuff and install them.

First things first is I got a headlight that I can open up and take everything out of to do some measurements and what not. This isn't one that is on my car since I don't want to learn on something I absolutely need so I bought one ✌??
I have turned the oven on and am impatiently waiting. I will be updating this a lot today and answer any questions.

UPDATE 1:

I will be changing the stock system which uses D3S to D4S. I will be adding;
1. 5500k D4S CBIs for bulbs
2. buying d1 > d2 bulb igniters
3. Mini D2S 4.0
4. D3 > D1 cable

All this is about $400 worth of tears ?

Transparent material
Automotive lighting Headlamp Light Automotive fog light Auto part

Oven is ready, and dinner will be served soon!

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
I took the projector apart to see the size of the lens but it seems it's attached to what holds it.
Auto part Personal protective equipment Helmet Headlamp Fashion accessory

Here's the foggy lens that I would like to switch for clear lens.

Automotive lighting Auto part

So it seems that the lens and its holder are pretty solid, I could remove the lens so I'm not going to keep trying and am throwing the idea of "clear lens" out the window. If anyone thinks they can find a way or want to try. I am willing so send you the part after all this is done since I'll have 3.

#11 ·
About to update but I'm using d4s cbi.

Btw d2 won't fit in our vehicle because we have d3s. D1/d2 are somewhat interchangeable with mod. D3/d4 are mercury free and these are somewhat interchangeable as well but need mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#13 ·
Story time! So bear with me I'll try to keep it simple, let me know if I don't clarify enough.

So with bulbs d1/d3 can be installed in the same housing, however you need it's respected ballast for it to be ignited. So d1 ballast needs d1 bulb, d3 ballast needs d3 bulbs. Bulbs are the same build, dimensions, same everything except d3 is mercury free.

D2/D4 same applies as above d2 bulb needs d2 ballast, d4 bulb needs d4 ballast. Bulbs are same same except GUESS WHAT!? Mercury free lol.

Now that being said a d1 ballast can ignite a d2 bulb with modification, d3 can ignite d4 with mod. But d1 cannot ignite d4 , d3 cannot ignite d2. Want to guess why? Ding ding ding MERCURY BRO! Freaking mercury!

D1/d2= mercury
D3/d4= no mercury

D1/d3 Same bulb but needs same style ballast.

D2/d4 same bulbs, needs same style ballast.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#16 ·
I love my retro fit of HID into my halogen housing. But it becomes a pain when the halos go out and you have to tear them apart again. The halos are suppose to be good ones from theretrofitsource but had 2 with problems in under 2 years with the car not even in commission for winter. I also had a uncommon problem of when my driver side got warm my highbeam wouldnt work. Solved all my issues, for ever hopefully. Hope yours goes good and stays good
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#18 ·
Rtv. I put it in the grooves then push them together and clamp the pieces together. Then i go over again to fill the gaps. Ive taken them apart few times and its starting to not look pretty but its all hidden so all good lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.