Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Very loud road noise

17K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  Dan W. 
#1 ·
Had my car for about 2 years now with no problems and all of the sudden, out of nowhere my car just started producing the extremely loud road noise. Sounds like it is coming from the rear. I've never heard it this loud before and I have no idea what the problem is. Has anyone experienced this or might possibly know what it could be?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#5 · (Edited)
I will do my best today to take a look at everything, but tires are not flat, and the only thing I've done to the car is lower it on sport lines and an UCA

If you've ever heard a truck with off road tires down a highway, that's almost the exact sound the car starting making.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#9 ·
If you've ever heard a truck with of road tires down a highway, that's almost the exact sound the car starting making.
Not sure what you mean by road tires, but I surmise you mean loud truck-tractor tires going whaaa-whaaa-whaaa in a rhythmic pattern.

If this is the case, you probably have a bad tire, or axle bearing, or carrier bearing, or pinion bearing...

Basically, if it's that loud, you should be able to chase it down with relative ease.

Get it in the air and start checking...

#13 ·
More then likely it is tire noise you are hearing.
Pirelli tires start making noise at about 20,000 miles and get louder and louder.
I'm at 29,000 on mine and getting them replaced real soon.
I just turn up my tunes to over ride the tire noise.
Ronnie

#15 · (Edited)
Trust me when I say these things are noisy.
The only reason they lasted so long and still have miles left on them is because :
**********I NEVER EVER LIKED THEM*******************************
I just didn't have $977.00 to throw away replacing them.
They are filled with nitrogen since new and never had a flat yet.
They always hydroplaned and got worse with age.
They do stick really good on a dry road though.
I'm about to replace them with Michelin's
I'm waiting until I hit 30,000 miles on them.
Ronnie

PS: Maybe I should get them re-caped and get another 30,000 miles on them. Ha! Ha! Ha!

#21 ·
Very cool you are getting it repaired.
Ronnie

#22 ·
Welcome to my world. The tire noise, road noise, or whatever you want to call it is so loud that I hate driving this car. My tires are feathered even though I've had the front end aligned and wheels balanced. They tell me they don't know what is causing my tire wear. All front end components are tight and car only has 24,500 miles on it.

I'm not about to spend $1,000 on new tires until I can get this figured out. I'm actually at the point that I'm thinking of getting rid of this car. I've been fighting this crap since the car had 5,000 miles on it and the dealers were no help. Even the independent shop couldn't figure it out. Their suggestion was to trade it in.

Wayne

#25 ·
I have another set of rims and like new Pirelli tires that I can put on to see if indeed the tires are causing the noise but they are stored at another location. I don't think it's going to solve why the tires are becoming feathered though. Everyone has said it's not the alignment causing the problem and the car has never been wrecked to my knowledge and drives straight down the road. I bought it new with 23 miles on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.