Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Mt-82 transmission

7K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Boss302PR 
#1 · (Edited)
Consider a purchase of a 2012 GT Mt with 55k miles. I know many of the cars from this era had issues with the transmission. Is it so much so that I should stay away from this model, or is it likely that any problems would be sorted out by now? Also what model year was the problem corrected?Furthermore, what kind of clutch life do these vehicles typically get. If a purchase is it likely I will be facing a clutch replacement in the near future? Thanks in advance for your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#4 ·
The MT82 isn't as bad as everyone cracks it up to be.
The stock clutch isn't very good, and can cause gradual issues especially if you don't push it to the floor every time. They typically don't handle high rpms well so if you want a boss or cj manifold you should replace it with a better one BEFORE it kills your synchros.
The stock shifter sucks, easily remedied and well worth getting the MGW race spec shifter.
The shift forks are soft, so if you're an angry gorilla shifter it will break. That being said, angry gorilla shifting doesn't really make you faster soo....

#5 ·
If you want a dead nuts bulletproof and really really really good transmission get the automatic and then get a good aftermarket stall converter put in with a tune to match. Autos of these generations in a straight line were (are) faster than the sticks.

#8 ·
the MT-82 ain't that bad. Plenty of high HP cars rocking it and running strong. The problem is the semi-remote shifter design. You will get 3rd gear lockout at high RPM. This design was to minimize NVH so that Ford could cater to a new generation of Mustang owners; who would probably whine about shifter vibrations. I fixed it by installing a Blowfish Racing Street Shifter Bracket. This supports the shifter assembly directly onto the tranny and not the body. The shifter will vibrate in certain areas of the RPM range but any pre-S197 driver can easily get used to it. I also had problems raking 1st and 2nd gear when the car was cold. I changed the tranny oil to Royal Purple Synchronax. Problem resolved. Also consider changing the stock clutch line to a braided stainless steel one by McLeod. I don't think the MT-82 issues are clutch related in any way.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.