Mustang Evolution Forum banner

SYNC Doesn't Hear Me

8K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  WJBertrand 
#1 ·
Hello All,

If was already posted somewhere, please accept my apologies.
Last week I had a great drive from NY to Key West in my '14 GT Convertible. I have the basic SYNC no Ford Touch or anything like that. :cool:

For the trip down I used Android Auto and Bluetooth. The integration between Android Auto and Sync worked flawlessly for almost the entire trip. When we were just about home Sync piped up and said "Bluetooth Disconnected". Usually no big deal. Except when I reset everything my phone connected back to Sync but I could not issue any voice commands. Figuring I might have messed something up I manually used my phone, Sync picked up the phone, but the mic was not picking me up or was there any audio coming from Sync itself. :(

So far I performed the Master Reset twice with the same result.

Has anyone else run in to this problem, or have a suggestion on how to fix it?

Many Thanks for reading.

#2 ·
Sync is buggy for sure. What version do you have? The latest basic Sync version is v4.6 among other bug fixes, it includes a "reboot" option. This seems to clear most of my problems and then Sync works fine again for a few months until have to do it again. When Sync completely locked up on my I ended up disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to clear it. There's supposedly a fuse behind the passenger kick panel but I've never been able to find it on my 2013 GT premium.

#3 ·
I have the same issue. I bought my 2012 GT used and Sync not hearing me was the only issue the car had when I bought it. Bluetooth works fine but she just can't hear me.

I've tried everything! Master resets, sync reboots, pulling fuse, disconnecting battery, all to no avail.

I've googled like crazy I can't seem to find any solution. Some say it's most likely the microphone that is either mounted in the mirror or the map light assembly. But the mic is soldered onto a board and not replaceable. I can't even find where to get a replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#7 ·
It sucks not having Sync hear me. I don't care about voice commands but I want the hands free calling ability.

There are aftermarket solutions but the ones I've tried don't work. I even bought a Motorola Roadster Pro which supposedly is the best Bluetooth Hands Free device. But the rumble of my exhaust affects noise cancellation and makes my voice sound garbled.

I once rented a 2015 Ford Fusion Ecoboost and calls made through Sync sounded awesome even when the windows were down and the gas pedal floored.

#8 ·
Sync can hear me in my 2012 GT, but SYNC does not understand me well with voice commands. People that I talk to feel the need to shout, too : they barely hear me.

That issue was there when I got the car and is still the same now.

It seems like the mike is not good, nor replaceable...

#12 ·
Hello All,

For those of you sitting on the edge of your seats, cloth or leather, wanting to know what happened when I brought my Mustang to Ford to look at the Sync problem.

The diagnosis from Ford Service - The unit was dead, fried, kaput! :( Why it died is still a mystery since, according to Ford, these units don't die so easily. :rolleyes:
Ford is replacing the unit, I am so glad I still have a month left on the warrantee. :D
I was hoping for something a bit better on the diagnosis than hearing a line from Star Trek "Jim, the Sync, it's dead".:facepalm:
If I hear anything else, I will post it here. I am thinking it might be time to replace the head unit with something else, maybe a bit more high tech than basic Sync.

#14 ·
Were all the other functions working besides Sync? Mine works fine except for Sync not being able to hear me.

If being able to use Sync is going to costs $1,000 I'd rather just leave her deaf and by a Bluetooth to Aux Adapter.

#15 ·
The radio worked fine but that's about it. I'm figuring if this new module goes bad I'd make the decision then whether to just replace the Sync module or just scrap the whole thing and install a new head unit.

The thing now is to try to find out from Ford exactly what the :censored: it means that the unit was "fried".

#17 ·
The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

First, I want to thank you all for the suggestions and the sync pains you all shared with me. It was enlightening for sure.:thumb:

So I got her back from Ford Saturday, from they were going to replace the module to, hey guess what? We got it to reset and pair. Ok, I am in technology so I can deal with these kinds of answers though we all know something cause the problem. So I take the car and the first thing I do is try to pair the phone, not working people. But there is something different, Sync is giving me a pin, something it didn't do before. :eek: So now it's troubleshooting time. If Sync is providing the pin and the phone is showing me a MAC address instead of Sync something's up with the phone. :confused: Now I added a vent clip to my smart phone one of those that has the big magnet on the vent and a piece of metal that sticks on the phone case. I took the case off my phone and tried paring again. Low and behold Sync appeared and paired just like old times.:facepalm:

I am not sure if any of you out there are having problems with Sync and are using a magnetic phone clip in your car, but if you are you might want to try it without that kind of holder.

I will keep an eye on this and report back if there are any other problems.

I am not sure if this helps anyone out there, but I do appreciate all of the replies on this. You're all a great group, thank you again!

#18 · (Edited)
The PIN number is how it should work, at least that's been the case with mine from the beginning. You're phone should present you a field to type it in when you attempt to pair with Sync by selecting it. The system should show up as "Sync" in your bluetooth settings. Enter the number and hit the pair button on your phone.

I am using one of those magnetic clips, but I didn't attempt to pair the phone when it was being held by the magnet. I doubt the metal plate on the back of the phone would do much, at least it was find with my iPhone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.