Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Custom tune or Canned tune?

12K views 101 replies 20 participants last post by  Voltwings 
#1 ·
I was supposed to get a custom tune this week from K C Maxx in Kansas City but they said the were to busy when I got there. I made the appt almost a month in advance and drove over 7 hours to get there. Now I am trying to decide if I should just buy a tuner or find another company. I would appreciate everyone's input. Please tell me what your recommendation is and why. If you recommend a custom tune I would appreciate knowing who you used. I live in southwest Kansas so need to find someone in Wichita Ks, Pueblo Col, Colorado Springs, OR Dallas Texas( my son lives there). Thanks for everyone's input.

#39 ·
Not sure if op can decipher all the definitions of what is or isn't a canned tune lol but I sent VMP (Justin) my mod list, he sent me a tune, I loaded it, car drove fine but I data logged anyway. That's plugging the device into the OBD Port and letting the device record the information as I drove (data logging) and I sent that back via email. Got a revised tune within a few days (2 maybe?) and been happy since. Just added the high flow Elbow, so VMP sent an updated tune. Loaded that, no issues. Getting the TB this week with an updated tune. Will data log again just to be sure.

#43 ·
Not sure if op can decipher all the definitions of what is or isn't a canned tune lol but I sent VMP (Justin) my mod list, he sent me a tune, I loaded it, car drove fine but I data logged anyway. That's plugging the device into the OBD Port and letting the device record the information as I drove (data logging) and I sent that back via email. Got a revised tune within a few days (2 maybe?) and been happy since. Just added the high flow Elbow, so VMP sent an updated tune. Loaded that, no issues. Getting the TB this week with an updated tune. Will data log again just to be sure.
Some food for thought,
.........and not to pick on VMP, who has a great reputation, but:
Who wrote the tune they sent you ? ( there is more than ( 1 ) tune writer. )
Lund Racing had at one time, 3 calibrators.
I see all the time in sigs, " tuned by Jon Lund ",.....but how do you know who wrote that tune ??

#40 ·
VMP just moved to about 10 miles from my front door.
Ronnie

#45 ·
Lol there are still PLENTY of ppl running around in cars that didn't come with widebands with a canned tune who have no idea what their A/F is...

#48 ·
I got an SCT SX4 from BAMA. People hate on BAMA but I love the way my car performs with the email tunes I got. Plus, you can always datalog and have them fine tune the tune file. I chose BAMA because a dyno tune will only work for the current mods installed on your car. You will have run it on the dyno every time you decide to add another mod. It can get expensive quick.

With BAMA, all I do is send a request with my current mods and 2 days later I get my tune...load it and I'm done.

I would recommend a dyno tune if you've bought all the mods you plan on installing or if you got money to spend.

Mods are addictive. Once you acclimate to your current power you're gonna wanna add some more. Save money and get a handheld.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#49 ·
There are some people that only seem to like what they have bought.
Bama has been doing tunes for a very long time and have sold many-many of them over the years.
I once had what some people laugh at on my 98 Corvette, A Hypertech. It actually cut 1 full second off my quarter mile time,
It also cut time off of my laps at Daytona on the road course.
It was way better then the stock GM tune on that car at that time.
I say that any tune that works well for your car is a good one. If any difference at all is probably in your imagination.
The best is still a dyno done by someone that knows what they are doing.
**************************************BUT*********************************************
After you drive away with your 100% perfect dyno tune, the next day the weather changes, You buy different gas, GUESS WHAT???? Your Dyno tune also changes a little.
Probably not enough to really notice but it will change. The car may run better or maybe worse due to the weather change.
My advise is to get what you can afford and be happy because any tune is better for performance then the stock factory tune on any car.
If you can't afford the tune you really want, Save $$$ until you have enough. You will only be satisfied and happy with the one you really want.
Then you can truthfully say you bought the best tune in the world.
Ronnie

Reactions: KsChallenger
#53 ·
On the topic of tunes, I had a question perhaps someone could answer. I'm building my first Mustang in about a dozen years. My sixth in total but my first to be tuned. I have a Grabber blue '13 GT with Recaros, manual trans ans 3.55 gears. I have added the Cobra Jet intake kit and an off road x pipe. I've recently ordered a tune through Lund Racing which I'm yet to receive. When filling out the tune list, it asked me if I wanted an "extra" cammed idle tune for free. I clicked yes so I can have a novelty tune for kicks. After I placed my order, I started questioning whether I was just getting the one cammed idle tune, or was it going to be an extra tune along with my "custom" tune I ordered? Is the cammed tune the same tune I ordered to support my mods plus the lopped idle? I do not want to run the overlapped idle for day to day use.

#55 ·
Sounds like it will come along with your custom tune since extra means more. Idk though since I've not used Lund. Might have to pose that question to VMP to see if I can get an extra tune for free lol.

#57 ·
The novelty of the cammed tune wore off REAL quick for me. It sounded cool but was honestly annoying to drive with. I actually stalled the car a handful of times; if you try coming off the clutch at the wrong time the car just doesnt want to go and you stall. It got old quick.

#58 ·
I've heard plenty of tuning issues/drive ability issues with the ghost cam tune regardless of intake.

#59 ·
My BAMA ghost cam tune works just fine. I have used it weeks at a time and my car has never stalled or given any issues. I do use the "cat safe" version though. I'm not sure if the catless version is more aggressive of a setting.

#61 ·
to be fair, i think a lot of people start off with BAMA tunes just because they offer the free revisions. Once they're done modding they switch over to a different tuner... at least i did. I think the only people "happy" with BAMA tunes are the people who have only had BAMA tunes, but that's a topic for another thread.

#63 ·
You're probably right. But I honestly think that unless you are the type who connects to your OBD II and actually understands all that PID data, you probably won't even notice a difference between tunes from either brand. Unless of course one particular brand's tune causes noticeable performance issues.

#62 ·
I really have no problem with the stock FORD tune my car came with.
Of course I don't race anymore but the one time I did run it at Orlando Speed World I did a 13.3
That was back in 2013 by pumping up the front tires, letting air out of the back tires
My automatic transmission still shifts quick at reline when I floor it.
I f I had the mush box my Corvette had, I would defiantly get a Bama tune done.
If I was going to be racing, I would more then likely get a performance dyno-tune from Brothers speed shop or VMP ( Both are very close to where I live)
I still have to say that any tune is going to perform better then the Ford tune at racing.
How much better- I can't tell ya.
Ronnie

#64 ·
Isn't Data-logging important.. so you can adjust your perimeters for actually day to day driving...(street tuning)...?

I think you can do it several different ways, with different brands.. I know Bama lets you data log, then you send the data to them, they then adj, and send you a new (free) download...right..?

and I have read about other ways to do this, by getting more involved with the data-logging technology and adj it your self, with other brands...

not sure, but I guess the options are unlimited.. and I'm not sure how involved the average guy wants to get. (?)

#65 ·
Isn't Data-logging important.. so you can adjust your perimeters for actually day to day driving...(street tuning)...?

I think you can do it several different ways, with different brands.. I know Bama lets you data log, then you send the data to them, they then adj, and send you a new (free) download...right..?

and I have read about other ways to do this, by getting more involved with the data-logging technology and adj it your self, with other brands...

not sure, but I guess the options are unlimited.. and I'm not sure how involved the average guy wants to get. (?)

I've datalogged my BAMA tunes. I simply call them and tell them that I wanna submit a datalog so that they can fine tune the tune. They generate a datalog request which is like a help desk ticket and then you reply to the request by uploading the datalogs. They reply 2 days later with newly adjusted tunes.

#67 ·
Most of the time the tuner is going to just adjust WOT parameters. They'll probably adjust the feel of the throttle, but as far as actually "fine tuning" the daily driving habits of the car, that is incredibly difficult to log accurately and even harder to tune - let alone remotely.

#70 ·
At least with BAMA tunes they request a datalog at idle, a datalog at a constant cruise speed, a step datalog which is holding the RPMs for 10+ seconds at every 500 RPMs, and of course a WOT datalog on a pull from 3rd or 4th gear.

I think they get enough data to assess more driving conditions than just WOT.

With that data, they should be able to make adjustments that would help driveability and performance in all driving conditions.

#68 ·
Unless you are racing the car & trying to get every last bit of horse power out of it , close is good enough , if its running fine & your happy with the way it performs then your done , ,,Also who tunes the car is like ice cream , most flavors are good but every body thinks their flavor is better . To each his own

#73 ·
Back when I used Brenspeed (tuned my Roush SC with their 626 kit) they looked at my data log and adjusted it for more mid range performance b/c they knew it was a DD and I don't race. Certainly improved the feel!

#76 ·
Lmao! Love he's wearing a VMP shirt! 'Merica!!!

#79 ·
I hate being ignorant about things, but who was he referring to when he made a Jab about "That dude in blue"?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.