Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Custom tune or Canned tune?

12K views 101 replies 20 participants last post by  Voltwings 
#1 ·
I was supposed to get a custom tune this week from K C Maxx in Kansas City but they said the were to busy when I got there. I made the appt almost a month in advance and drove over 7 hours to get there. Now I am trying to decide if I should just buy a tuner or find another company. I would appreciate everyone's input. Please tell me what your recommendation is and why. If you recommend a custom tune I would appreciate knowing who you used. I live in southwest Kansas so need to find someone in Wichita Ks, Pueblo Col, Colorado Springs, OR Dallas Texas( my son lives there). Thanks for everyone's input.

#3 ·
Thanks for sharing. At this time I haven't bought a tuner. What I am trying to decide is should I buy a tuner and get an email tune or go to a shop where they can put it on a dyno and tune the car that way. I did purchase a PMAS CAI but have not installed it yet. It is the CAI that needs a tune. Sorry for the confusion on my part. Thanks again for any help you can give

#4 · (Edited)
I'd just get an email tune.

You're going to pay the same amount for an email tune and a dyno tune, but at the end of the day your car will make the same power and you'll actually have a tuner (handheld).

I personally used AED, but i imagine any of the reputable tuners are capable of writing you a tune you'll be happy with.

#5 ·
Lots of good tuners these days can "remote tune" your car. Send them datalogs from your car and they will update with an actual "custom remote" tune for your specific car. As far as "canned" which is what the tunes from Bama and Steeda are (unless you get an actual dyno tune done at AM in PA or the Steeda shop in FL)... I wouldn't.

#10 ·
Anything you can order by phone or e-mail is canned.
A remote tune is a little better, starts with a canned tune, which is adjusted to suit your needs / mods.
A custom tune requires your car to be @ the tuner's shop, & he should tune it on the street, before putting it on a dyno.

#15 ·
You had an appointment, Drove 7 hours to get there, They were too busy to do your tune. DUH !
I would not go near that place again. "EVER" It would be different if you did "NOT" have an appointment but you say you did.
If you got it there and the tune was not right, You would be doomed.
A dyno tune is really the best if you are going racing. A Bama tune is really a good way to go because it does a great job and if you change something, They will redo it at no charge.
Lund tune is also good.
There are a lot of good tuners out there without using a dyno.
Ronnie

Reactions: KsChallenger
#21 ·
he offers a bunch of services , has a Dyno , does Tuning at his shop , has alot of options besides SCT X4 , Quarter Horse for example , he offers Tunes for Life with Data Logging, web site is a little confusing , looks like its geared toward dealers , if you cant find what you need call them

#22 ·
Just an FYI, the "tunes for life" is free tune IF you buy the parts from that tuner/shop. Not a big concern, just don't go buying a bunch of parts from everywhere else and expect the tuner to write you a free tune.

#24 ·
When I bought my old 14 GT TrakPak Mustang it came with an SCT tuner and the tune was a generic tune as the former owner had purchased the SCT tuner and Airaid CAI from Summit Racing as a kit. The tuner came with an 87/91/93 octane tune already in the tuner...I've always called this generic tune a "canned tune".
I ran the 91 tune in the car and had AED start the process to modify the tune for my car...in the process of emailing my data logs back to AED there was slight engine knock...which I could never hear or feel...during WOT. AED diagnosed this as bad gas and when I switched to Costco 92 premium the knock went away.
Data logging is a very effective way of diagnosing what is happening in the car and is the same tool that would be used on the chassis dyno.
Whatever you do make sure the tuner is reputable, I had an email tune from a nationally known tuner on my twin turbo ATS-V...which left a very big puddle of oil on the ground...not to mention a knock down drag out fight with GM...IMHO

#51 ·
Olderodder can I pm you

Got some suspension items I want to run by you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.