Mustang Evolution Forum banner

13 GT w/FRRP 624 SC issues

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  UUUd444 
#1 ·
Let me start off by saying this is my first expierence with forced induction. i recently installed the SC and had it dyno tuned. It ran ok coming home but developed a slight surge after a few miles and the wrench light came on. I talked to the tuner and he sent me an email tune. That tune made the light go off, but the surge got worse. I took it back to him and left for week, he called said I was all good. I drove it home(about 70 miles) and it was great. I driven it about 10 miles since I brought home and the surge is back maybe even worse than it was before. The only thing mechanical I could physically see was my purge valve hose not pushed on all the way. After seating it the surge seems to worsen even more.
Has anyone else had an issue like this? The tuner is telling me that it was fine and there's not much he can do. Is there something else mechanical that I should be looking at?
thanks

#2 ·
I wish I could offer some help, but please keep us posted.

#3 ·
Any chance you can put back on the FRPP tune that usually comes when you buy the kit or do you have other mods that make that a no go?

I have the same kit in a '14 with the Ford tune that is, if anything, better than stock at low rpm or idle. Worth a try if you can just to test the dyno tune.

#4 ·
I don't have the whipple, but I have an E-Force and I can tell you it does not like traction control. It will surge and buck under hard acceleration when traction control is on.
Any chance its happening while you haven't disabled traction control?
What did you gap the plugs at?

#5 ·
I do still have the pro cal tune and tuner. The only bad thing with it is I have long tubes and O/R x pipe. Ford will not tune to anything other than the SC, so it never really ran right when I had the pro cal in either.

As far as the plugs, I believe the instructions said to re-gap them at 32 or 35(I can't recall which) I did. I saw another post where folks were having similar issues with the stick plugs, so I may try that also. You do have me intrigued with the traction control theory. I don't believe I've driven it yet with it off. I will try it tonight.

Thanks

#7 ·
I haven't yet, I just re-gapped the stock plugs. I did try driving it wit out traction control. Didn't make a difference. I will pick up a set of colder plugs this weekend and see it helps. It just seems more like a throttle issue, but again I'll try anything at this point.

#8 ·
I spoke quite extensively to Ford Racing when I was installing my kit. Really wanted to put in one range colder plugs because that's what so many posts and articles said.... Ford Racing was quite adamant that the original heat range plugs were best for the 9 psi kit and that they would only recommend colder range if you went past 10 psi with a smaller pulley. Your setup, with headers, will yield less than the nine psi because of less restriction on the exhaust side and should need the colder range plugs even less. A misfire should feel different from a surge. So, not plug or plug gap? Maybe fuel delivery related? (sounds like a tune issue.) I'm still running the original re-gapped plugs with absolutely no surge issues.

Hope you get it sorted. All the best.

#10 ·
Talked to Ford Performance today. The guy I talked to said my original plugs should be ok re-gapped. The only real help he offered up was maybe a vacuum leak somewhere, or my tuner isn't much of a tuner.
My boost gauge is holding steady at 19.5(idle) and just over 20(at 2500). I suppose my conclusion is tuner is lacking. I'm not sure how to prove that without taking it somewhere else, but I'm not real sure I want this guy to keep poking around on it anyway.
I guess we'll chalk this up as a 400.00 lesson learned! Next time wait for the reputable tuner and pay the extra 50 bucks.

#12 ·
I got this off of Summit Racing. Check out the the second sentence under "additional features included". It's the exact same as the one I bought, but mine didn't say anything like that.
What's really weird is on Ford Performance's web site you can't find this one for the 13/14 gt anymore. AM doesn't sell it anymore either. Was there something wrong with it?

Attachments

#14 ·
Well I feel kind of dumb. I've been having the surging issue as stated above, so I started going back thru all the steps of install just in case I missed or screwed something up. There's a plenum bolt directly under the the bypass. I couldn't get to it when I installed the kit, so I removed the bypass and tightened it. I didn't preload the bypass when I was done. Last night I reset the bypass and lo and behold it runs great. I still have tweaking to do to get it right, but I think I'm on the right track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.