Mustang Evolution Forum banner

GT exhaust and intake info

Tags
exhaust
2K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  crjackson 
#1 ·
In my opinion, the best sounding exhaust for my 2013 GT is with the Shelby GT touring axel backs with the resonators removed. Also, I just discovered the the factory air filter on the 13 GT is identical to the filter on a 2013 Ford Fusion.
Makes me think that almost any after market CAI will flow much better.

#4 ·
Um. No. That's awesome.

I think what jkeaton really meant is that aftermarket CAI's look really cool and sort of seem like your car has to be faster or something. (it's true. they are really shiny.)

Another benefit is that the oiled open element filters let in more and larger particulate matter into the engine. This hopefully means that you can justify the aluminator even sooner because of additional accelerated wear on the current motor.

Perhaps the biggest benefit, though, is that while looking amazingly fast, the new CAI won't burden the owner with additional unwanted horsepower and an even greater possibility of getting speeding tickets, photo radar fines and the like.

At least I think that's what he meant. The comment was kinda short and maybe open to misinterpretation. If I'm wrong, sorry.

All the best.

#12 · (Edited)
Ok, I will admit, I am new to cars.
But I came across this article, and it's what I was basing my thought process on. What am I missing?

5.0 Tech Inspection - Airaid 5.0 CAI - 5.0 Mustang Magazine

From the article:
"On the Dyno
In bone-stock trim, Ryan Trapp's '11 Mustang GT laid down 361.49 rwhp and 354.69 lb-ft of torque on the Dynojet chassis dyno at GTR High Performance. Testing was done in Fifth gear, which is the norm for all '11 5.0 'Stangs equipped with six-speed manual transmissions.

While we knew Airaid's induction kit would bring a power gain due to its larger inlet tube and high-flow cone-filter, we were completely floored when the dyno registered 380.74 peak horses and 365.86 lb-ft during the post-installation runs. Twenty additional horsepower and an equal amount (in lb-ft) of torque are fairly sizeable gains for a bolt-on CAI. However, the thing that makes this Airaid deal more impressive is the fact that there was no computer tuning done to achieve the impressive performance. On the downside, however, air/fuel stats are a tad leaner than we prefer."

What am I missing here?

#13 ·
What am I missing here?
Quite a lot actually. There are a multitude of things to consider, but plenty of very knowledgeable people here will probably explain if you really want. I'm not one of them.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you just didn't know better and got post happy.

Here's my advice to you... Don't believe all the pie-in-the-sky articles you read on the internet, and don't give direct advice about things you have no actual first hand experience with.

Sit back & read A LOT. Ask a lot of questions from the guys that DO know.

#17 ·
I believe Psychoacoustics Plays a role in the equation too, which lead to us having sound tubes in our cars.

#19 ·
You have just explained something that happened to me just last night. Now it makes sense. Thanks, cr.

As luck would have it, the installation of intake parts on my car necessitated the removal of the sound tube. I believe now that this, in combination with the other guy's psychoacoustics, got the better of me in last night's encounter.

To explain, I happened to be entering a freeway that has a 110 km/hr speed limit. By chance, another 2014 was entering at the same time. We drove side by side at slow to moderate speed observing the other's vehicle.

Mine is very plain, of course, and not flashy or impressive.

His, on the other hand, was adorned with Roush decals and emblems, Roushcharged all over the hood and really nice wide wheels and tires. All capped off with the Roush exhaust system with which I believe he psychoacousticed the crap out of me.

We both simultaneously displayed the joy of mustang acceleration up to but not over the highway limit. I believe no laws were broken nor were any small children or animals hurt in any way. (This for those who might mistake this for a description of a street race, which in no way could the encounter accurately be portrayed.)

In any case, by complete chance our acceleration rates were identical. It was amazing.

And yet, due to the volume of his Roush exhaust which drowned out my own GT500's quite easily, I couldn't help but be left with the feeling that he and his vehicle were somehow better than me and my vehicle. I don't think it is fair that I feel this way, but there it is.

I believe I was yet another sorry victim of psychoacoustics.

I plan to seek the advice and/or services of a professional hypnotist to address my feelings and combat the effects of the psycoacoustic beating. I do not plan to apply any Roush products as that would be the easy way out and we all know it is wrong to give in to injustice and bullies.

Thanks, cr. I suspected it was all just in my mind but your comment brought it home for me. Have a great day and,

All the best. :thumb:

#21 ·
:lol::lol::lol::lol::)

Great story :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.