Mustang Evolution Forum banner

New owner of 2014 Gt

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  crjackson 
#1 ·
I'm 24 and i just became the 2nd owner of a 14 Gt premium that had 19, 300 on the dash. I have 19, 900 on it as of right now. I'll prob hit 20k next week. It's an auto. Mannnn, this is a hell of a car & I ****ing love it. I'd buy another one and leave it as is if I could.

I actually made this post & account because i was looking for some input & advice on my mods that I want done in the near future. Specifically LTH, best catback, best CAI, and best tune for nowwww.

#2 · (Edited)
Congrats! Love my 14 as well. Fantastic model, one of the best looking in my option. I have the Roush Catbacks. Nice and loud, but not too loud unless you are pushing it a bit. Great rumble and crackle and pop. But have been told they are not a good one to have if you start making other exhaust changes like your LTH. Unless you want the sound and looks of a CAI you are much better off sticking with the stock box. I have added a K&N to the stock box even though most are saying high quality paper are actually higher flow.

Course I have a Roush so Suspension and appearance mods are high on the list.

Look into a good tune. Not an authority on this one but I do love my Ford Performance Trackey tune. Not a monster gain in HP, but does wake-up the car. Also gives you a ghost cam, love that lopey idle.

But if you are going to supercharge you will want to look else where. I have not done that yet, but may some day down the road. I am having great fun with my N/A car right now.

My favorite other mods are the Boss Quad exhaust, but that one is tough to find. Kooks makes a great looking rival to this. I also have added the QTP electronic cutouts so I can adjust the side pipe levels. Also expect that to help with the mandatory emission testing that I will have to start doing next year.

Make sure if you mod the exhaust and tune that it will still pass your states EPA/Safety testing. Some have see problems in this area.

Add a catch can to help keep that fuel octane level up. I have the Moroso large can. Catches about 2 oz. in a 1000 miles.

Checkout the rear brake upgrade. I have gone with adding the OEM GT500 rotors and the cost is minimal. Changes the look of the rear, especially with large diameter wheels. Helps with rear brake fade if you track the car. Cost is somewhere around $500/$600. Well worth it.

A cosmetic change I love is the Diode Dynamics taillight sequencer. Much tends to be a more reliable change than the one from AM.

Good luck! :thumb:

You should have fun with this. Make sure you learn the car before you go too crazy on the throttle. Hate to see another one bite the dust.

#3 ·
The 13+ stock tune isn't the crap the 11-12 cars had, first off. The auto benefits from really smart tuning like VMP provides. I would not advise Track Key or Procal on the 14, as it doesn't directly monkey with the auto trans shifting. I had it on my stick car and it was awesome there, for me.

My 2014 car hasn't sucked a drop of oil in its life. My old 12 would fill a catch can regularly. Both made very good power. The 12 may have been just a tetch stronger but, it was a stick car on 3.73s so, it's hard to directly compare, other than, I could get the stick car into the high 11s on a tune and tire and the 14, hamstrung by its tight torque converter, couldn't do better than low 12s in the same trim.

So, best mods for a 14 auto? Staying NA, a torque converter is a really good bet. The factory unit is very high quality multi-disc setup so, you'll need to spend some money here. Circle D has the best rep.

CAI is best left stock. I'm low 11s through stock paper, exhaust, etc. using 100 of spray.

Long tubes are a pain to install but full exhaust does a good bit for these cars, if you can stand the racket it produces.

#4 ·
LTH are definitely a must, torque Converter and no CAI like 5LHO advised.

I run LTH, off road X pipe and no mufflers. Straight cutouts after the X. definitely loud and fun.

As far as a reputable Tuner, do some more research. Advising you which one may be best for you could open up a lot of unwanted comments and disputes in this thread. There are many people with good and bad comments about the Tuning companies. A Tune is definitely on top of the list for mods, I believe it should be the first mod to purchase as far as performance.

#5 ·
Ideas for Mod's are kind of like belly buttons, everyone has one.
LTH's...Kooks and ARH's are two of the best in my book for fit and quality along with performance. These are not cheapest. When you pick your header also remember that bigger is not always better and pick ones that will work with you motor now, not two years down the road when you go with something more exotic like a blower or turbo.
There are a few people on this forum that have left the CAI stock, put LTH's, a good converter in their automatic car along with a good tune and gone low 11's N/A with slicks.
Not sure what if any mods have been done to the car before you got it although I'd just plan the mods depending on what you want the car to do and don't just throw money at this project, be methodical and do one thing at a time...IMHO

#6 ·
"Best" CAI is the JLT or Steeda, increase HP by ~50 --- they require a tune though.
For no-tune type, I really like Air-raid MXP, and you can always tune later.

Catbacks, most aftermarket models will improve performance. Personally I have the American Thunder and I think it sounds awesome...but that's all personal preference.

#7 ·
"Best" CAI is the JLT or Steeda, increase HP by ~50 --- they require a tune though.

For no-tune type, I really like Air-raid MXP, and you can always tune later.

Catbacks, most aftermarket models will improve performance. Personally I have the American Thunder and I think it sounds awesome...but that's all personal preference.

Someone has been watching way to many American muscle install videos. 50hp from a cai ????

P.S. Any power you gain is from the tune not the CAI

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.