Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Advice On Supercharger For '10 Stang

3K views 45 replies 14 participants last post by  sonicpony03 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I wanted to get some opinions on boosting a stock engine. I have a meticulously maintained mustang with almost 40K miles on it. No mechanical problems as of yet. CARB in California sucks and really limits choices for aftermarket parts especially for my year.

I feel like investing in a CARB legal supercharger will give me the extra power that I want and not have to worry about swapping my stock parts in for smog every other year. I found a supercharger complete kit for my year that runs 5 PSI on a 91 octane tune. I did the math and investing money in a new year S550 doesn't seem like the best option.

I am not very eager to spend additional money on dropping the engine and getting forged internals since the SC is going to cost a pretty penny. So the question is, is running lower boost on a stock engine relatively safe? I hear that running 450RWHP is usually the limit for S197 mustangs and any over is gonna be a bad day. So far, everyone I have asked said this kit will be fine. If so, I figure that getting a better clutch and flywheel would be ideal. Probably rear lower control arms as well to help fight wheel hop.

Here is the link to the kit:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/edelbrock-sc-2010gt.html

(Can someone clarify if the HP/Torque is BHP or WHP?)

I really appreciate any advice; especially if you are running boost on your stock engine.

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Torch Red 2010 GT Premium, Manual
BAMA 91 Performance Tune

See less See more
#32 ·
#33 ·
:thumb:

Too funny... All that was missing was the sticker.

#35 ·
Lmao at that thing.

Only good Focii are the SVT and that one off RWD Terminator conversion build that got done in like 2005.

#37 ·
Supercharger whine

I was really thinking about GT500 mufflers, but after that video, I'm really upset that you didn't post a link for those. I'd buy four and get double the woo woo!
Forget resonator deletes, gotta have the woo woo!

#38 ·
Cleaned thread up.

If you didn't understand that that video posted was a joke then I'm sorry.. throw your joke/sarcasm detector in the trash and Amazon Prime a new one.

Back on track...

Reactions: 51008
#40 ·
The 2010 was a unicorn year, had a lot of "one off" things to it. The 11/12 has enough "goodies" to make it worth the extra $5-$7k over the 2010 IMO. If not, then just get an 07-09, those are going for peanuts compared to what they were worth once nowadays. But besides the aluminum block on the 11/12 the driveline for ALL 07-12s are very similar and has the same top end limits to what it will make power wise.

Still the best value is going to be an 11-14 GT automatic. At least IMO. Or for a daily you can get an 11/12 V6 Cyclone low miles for like $11k...

#42 · (Edited)
Biggest advantage to me with an 11/12 over a 10 are the factory widebands and knock sensors. Make tuning them much easier imo. Obviously you can run a wideband and analog it in on the pre 11's. Also the 3.31's are a bit long winded in the 07-09 cars until you're making big boy power. 3.55's or 3.73's are perfect.

11-12 also got a 1.9L blower, previous had a 1.7.
07-12 all had the same 1.992L basically 2L Eaton. 11-12's were silver instead of black. Went trinity 2.3 TVS in 13.

#43 ·
Yeah the Trinity cars had the transmissions with the crazy long first gear tho. And some ppl say that Ford tuned the 5.8 on the ragged egde and they are better with a slight de-tune? I dunno, internets hearsay.

Rear gears=no biggie as does the 1.7 vs 1.9L at least IMO. You get any 07-12 it should get the appropriate gear ratio, wideband if it doesn't have it (**** I'm putting one in my 00 lol) and then a 2.3 TVS or a Whipple or something. Those Eatons are heat soak machines.

I just kinda like the way the 07-09 looks, like it looks more "muscley"... I guess... at least to me. Also the 07-09 does have the smiley face grille I'm not fond of but the 10-14 grilles take it to a whole new level. Every time I see the front grille of a 10-14 I see a hamburger. 2 openings are the bun, the bumper in the middle is the meat. The 13/14 GT does it too but not as bad. Why I like the 10-12 fronts so much, those things look sinister when done right.

#45 ·
Yeah the Trinity cars had the transmissions with the crazy long first gear tho. And some ppl say that Ford tuned the 5.8 on the ragged egde and they are better with a slight de-tune? I dunno, internets hearsay.
Yeah that first gear is great for marketing, "0-60 in 1st gear!" "202 mph" etc but not so much on the track imo. From what I've seen the most catastrophic failures on those cars is due to inadequate fuel. Guys drop a pulley/intake/tune on them run pump gas, fine. Then they start adding lowers, throttle bodies, remove cats and start running out of fuel. Once you get past 700whp with them you need E85 or non pump gas. With the increased compression ratio they are more sensitive but ultimately suffer from the same problems the others do. The critical internals weren't upgraded from the 07-12 5.4's. Same crap rods, mediocre pistons followed up with powdered metal oil pump gears and timing sprockets.

Rear gears=no biggie as does the 1.7 vs 1.9L at least IMO. You get any 07-12 it should get the appropriate gear ratio, wideband if it doesn't have it (**** I'm putting one in my 00 lol) and then a 2.3 TVS or a Whipple or something. Those Eatons are heat soak machines.
Agreed. There are guys out there who want to crack 600whp with the stock eaton and run 10's..it can be done but why. $1500 for a TVS and you're there lol. That's what I did and actually paid less.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.