Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Air Conditioning Compressor 1650.00!

3K views 60 replies 11 participants last post by  scott9050 
#1 ·
An independent repair shop, Christian Brothers Automotive quoted me 1669.00 plus tax for New Compressor, aluminum filter drier with pad mount, expansion valve, compressor oil and recharging the system. Any thoughts on this? Seems high.

#4 ·
with those parts, plus the labour and the discharge/recharge, I wouldn't expect much less.

#10 ·
It's not a rip off. You get what you pay for. Cheap compressors and driers ect. Get what you pay for promise you that. If your doing the work yourself, make sure you buy a vacuum pump.

More goes into a proper a/c job then swapping out parts

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#15 ·
You do understand a shop does have bills employees to pay ect correct? A lot of people seem to forget that. You go to them. They don't come to you so.............

For instance I have to pull a dash out that's a automatic 400-500 depending on vehicle regardless. Or hey you can do it yourself.

#19 ·
You do understand a shop does have bills employees to pay ect correct?

Yeah, heard this excuse too. When a shop is charging more than double of retail for a part, that's an issue. They are buying the part at a discount as well. My opinion is a part should be no more than +50 percent of what the customer can buy it retail.

#28 ·
I'm probably going to hear about this post but I'm with Rapinator and Recon.
I've been helping a friend who manages one of the nations largest chain of auto parts stores and I can tell you that all of the parts on that list are not USA made. The compressor has a "Limited" warranty and is reman and all of the parts that say "OEM" quality...sorry, it ain't true. I'm not sure what or where the shop you got you quote from buys its parts but if it's not OE or one of the companies that manufactures the parts like BWD and supply them to the OEM...I'm pretty sure you'll be replacing them again. The store my friend manages sells almost $350k per month and a good %10 of the parts come back for warranty replacement like alternators, batteries, starters, AC compressors...etc.
If I were a real employee my cost on the list you posted would be $398.87 which is below jobber net...pencil that out and the shops labor at $298 must be around $50/60 per hour...I wouldn't walk, I'd run from a shop charging $50/60 per hour.
One other thing, try and get a warranty return on parts you put on by yourself...unless you are ASE certified.

#29 · (Edited)
Im going to give a simple example of absoulte price gauging on parts from either you local dealer or local shop. This part right here is the hose with the check valve that helps prevent your water pump from disaster. Went to my local Ford dealer to order the part, $165 ****ING DOLLARS! I don't care if this part was made on the ****ing moon, it a hose!!!
Bought the hose from a member on this site for $10, but when I installed it I re used the same pinch clips that held the Oem hose on. After a 20 minute drive I smelt antifreeze and pulled over, being at night I thought the pump was leaking but later realized it was just the clamp, but I called another Ford dealer just in case to see what the damage would be for a new water pump installed, $437 tax in,$185 for the pump the rest was labour ect.
$185 for the whole pump vs $165 for a rubber hose!!!!
Just food for thought.
Its critical to shop around!
LG G4

Attachments

#30 ·
^^^prices of things can be real whacked and change for no apparent reason.

two recent examples I've seen: bathroom vent fan the cheap ones used in factory bathrooms. I needed a new fan motor and found it at Lowes for $17...I thought that was a good price till I looked and the entire unit (box/grill/fan/blade) was only $15.

Toilet paper at Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040ZFAQ0/ref=twister_dp_update?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

case of 80 for $45 and 160 rolls for $225 = 2x the rolls for 5x the $.

bonus fun fact: I've seen them offer it under different buying choices as being available used!!!!! I was scared to click on it but when I did (and there was very little $ difference) it ended up being damaged boxes.

#42 ·
I found a local reputable shop that I've used before who is going to install and evacuate/refill the AC for 534.00. That's a little under 1100.00 with parts/labor which is what this job should have cost to being with. I've search on here and found other people who paid 1200.00

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.