Mustang Evolution Forum banner

I need some Mustang advice

3K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Beviking 
#1 ·
I don't think I have ever posted on here before. I have always been a Chevy guy:hide: (currently own a C5 Corvette, built and raced a 67 Camaro). I'm not even going to pretend to know about Fords or Mustangs because I don't, thats why I am looking for advice from those who do.

I have always liked the retro style Mustang body style and the Coyote is a true modern engine with variable timing overhead cams and four valves. I am looking for a 2011-14 GT with a manual 6 speed. Recently I have been seeing 2007-08 Shelby GT500's for not much more $ than the 11-14 GT's. I am wondering if I would be farther ahead buying an 11-14 Coyote and adding a Paxton ect or buying the GT500? I go back and forth daily between upgrading to a Mustang or a C6 Corvette with an LS3. Recently I am leaning towards the Mustang, the Corvette is just not a good platform for drag racing. I also do my own wrenching and that torque tube rear mounted transmission looks like a bigger pain in the *** than its worth.

My goals are a 10 second street car. Its not going to be daily driven ( drive my company car daily) but will need to be able to make a 2-3 hour highway trip once in a while. My budget is going to be about $30k.

#12 ·
#3 ·
The coyote engine is far and away better than the GT500 engine, and pound for pound of boost you will make more power. The pre '11 GT500 also had an Iron block, so add another 100 lbs to the nose of the car.

The only advantage of the GT500 is you start supercharged. For #30k however, you can buy a decent used 5.0, boost it, suspension, tires, the works and run 10s like clockwork.

#4 ·
Coyote seems to be a better built motor than the 5.4, I'd definitely go for a 13/14 GT and get boosted. Go for the automatic, much easier to hit consistent times than the MT-82. That's possibly my only complaint, but I do love driving a manual over a auto.

#5 ·
Good advice so far. I'd also opt for the 13-14 b/c internals are beefier than the 11-12 motor. Get a solid car for around 20k and have fun modding it. The 6spd MT82 trans isn't known for being great and the shifters/mounting brackets are a sore spot. Boosting a bit might put you in line for beefier axles too, certainly a better driveshaft than stock! Good luck!

#6 ·
My understanding is that the automatic is better for drag racing. I have heard of people getting in the 9s with a mostly stock transmission. The MT82 manual is not known for its durability. Not to mention the autos are faster from what I have read.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#7 ·
#8 ·
So, its been a few months and this is what I ended up with. 2012 Roush with an MT-82. I just finished swapping the 3.73 gears for some 3.31 and I added all new bearing while I was in there. It was a bigger job than I anticipated on jackstands working solo. I ended up having to pull the rear end out of the car to do the gears and bearings.

I also added a 79mm pulley, JLT cold air intake, VMP 67mm throttle body, 56 pound injectors, colder plugs a boost a pump, cat deletes, RTR mufflers and when I finished installing all that had it dyno tuned at VMP. Its rolling on a Race Star drag pack now with MT 28x11.5" bias plys for the track. Pretty happy with it so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbeRrI4EVwc

#10 ·
Sounds awesome! Why 3.31?s? I only ask because I have 3.73?s and have contemplated going to 3.55?s to get better use of 1st Gear and I do a bit of highway driving. I don?t plan on going to Drag Wheels, I like the tall 315/35/20?s so I don?t think 3.31?s would suite me but there?s a lot I don?t know.

#11 ·
On a normally aspirated Mustang the 3.73 gears would probably be better. On a supercharged car you blast through the gears so fast you end up having to shift into 5th gear before the end of the 1/4 mile. Also with the 3.73 I had to yank it into 2nd immediately. With the 3.31 gears I should be going through the traps at 130-35mph at around 7000 RPMs.

#19 ·
thanks, I have 3.73?s and get the reasoning but was questioning why 3.31 vs 3.55. Is OP only concerned about 1/4 mile or is he saving gas? I have tall tires and am able to at least use 1st gear a little. Would hate to lose all my off the line grunt by going to 3.31?s. Fwiw, my GT is similarly modded to OP?s except I?m still on 47lb injectors and 3.73?s.

#16 ·
Well, I don't know the guy personally but he makes his living tuning cars at VMP which is one of the better Mustang tuning/ performance companies around. I would think he must know something. Like him or hate him though, I am pretty happy with the advice he gave me in reference to my car. It put me right at the HP numbers I wanted, also very happy with the VMP dyno/ tune work they did on my car.

#18 ·
I use VMP and Justin use to be THE tuner but I believe there are others now that the company has grown. I?m not 100% but last time I had a tune written, emails came from someone else. Use to be Justin was directly emailing but not anymore. It?s tough being famous I guess lol.

#20 ·
Even if he is a tuner... he can know tuning and still not be the most knowledgeable when it comes to these cars. I dunno. I've seen enough of his videos and he just gets too many things wrong. Simple **** too.

#21 ·
Even if he is a tuner... he can know tuning and still not be the most knowledgeable when it comes to these cars. I dunno. I've seen enough of his videos and he just gets too many things wrong. Simple **** too.
I believe he is one of (?) VMP's calibrators. He has a lot of videos on YouTube.

One video was about boost-a-pumps and he basically said that they are not an issue and all the worries for them burning out the fuel pump is nonsense.

I am not sure about that as I do not know the voltage/current ratings of the stock fuel pump; although, it wouldn't surprise me if using a BAP would stress the pump and lifetime reliability is affected to some degree.

#23 ·
Yeah, anything electrical I?ve ever ?overdriven? (aka used more electricity than what was intended) shortened the life of the light, fan, pump etc. I just hope he?s right lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.