Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Odd scrappimg/grinding noise in rear

8K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Fintile 
#1 ·
So about 2 weeks ago I came back from a 10 vacation and started noticing a scraping or grinding sound in the rear. It's only while in motion and seems to smooth out when on highway. Almost sounds like really rusty rotors but I've check and cleaned them and it's still going. Any thoughts or ideas? My guess is wheel bearing or diff is low on fluid?

#4 ·
So, it turns out my rear diff bearings are shot. They opened it up and found metal fragments all over it. Might be a while without it.

#6 ·
Not sure, they are filing a claim with my Service plan to have them send an inspector. I'm sure I'll be able to see it though. That could explain why it felt so sluggish. Just a buch of metal getting in the way creating a ton of friction

#8 ·
Pretty typical for an 8.8 rear end. Or any rear end equipped with a clutch-type limited slip differential, really.
As the clutches wear out, the friction material has nowhere to go except into the gear oil, and is then circulated throughout all of the moving parts.

#9 ·
Thats what I've heard. Should have put a 9" back there. Oh well I'll upgrade it in another 50k miles when this one burns out from my grandma driving lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.