Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Bias ply or drag radial

7K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  REG 
#1 ·
So I?m getting some 15x10s and I do mostly street racing and It?s a stick car I hear bias ply is the way to go so you don?t break axles and stuff but then I hear drag radials are good for street for a stick car but not the track.
Need some help figuring this out I hear mix match reviews about this thanks in advance

#4 ·
You will likely cut a slick at some point if you run it on the road, plus it'll handle and brake sketchy. Radial for road but, you will be giving up alot at the strip unless you have a slick, particularly on stick cars.

#5 ·
Drag radials

I'm running mickey Thompson et street SS 305/40-18 drag radials on my roush charged 2014 GT with 6 speed manual. 550hp and 500ft lbs of tq at the wheels. Ran a bunch of 11.4s @ 127-129mph in the last couple weeks. Both Keystone raceway park and quaker city over the past 2 summers. Prob total of 60-70 runs, nothing broken. Knock on wood. I also drive to and from the tracks with them on about an hour each way. I did pull over the one time it rained hard. they are a bit scary.

#6 ·
slick for stick radial for auto. radials are much harder and will destroy your rear end over time on a manual + launching hard. I found initially a tire like et street gave me great grip ( i was pulling the wheels on a 3.7 clean off the ground) but only lasted for about 10 passes then they went to ****. Had radials on my 5.0 with a tune and midpipe and dead hooked every pass (auto) lasted untill you could almost see the radials coming through. As i've always been taught, slick for stick, radial for auto.

#7 ·
Hi jacking thread

3sevenstangvids, what size DR you running?
I have a 245/18/40 MT DR and it ain't hooking up.
Prior to EFORCE, 12.4 was best time with pro cal, one piece shaft.
With Eforce, 11.5 and I know its breaking loose going into second.
Thought about 275's, they'll fit on the rims I got (18X9) but anything bigger obviously need bigger rims.
Anybody else. Pinion angles at -2, lowered an inch in the rear. BMR LCA's
Stange engineering adjustables up front, set lowest level.

#8 ·
3sevenstangvids, what size DR you running?
I have a 245/18/40 MT DR and it ain't hooking up.
Prior to EFORCE, 12.4 was best time with pro cal, one piece shaft.
With Eforce, 11.5 and I know its breaking loose going into second.
Thought about 275's, they'll fit on the rims I got (18X9) but anything bigger obviously need bigger rims.
Anybody else. Pinion angles at -2, lowered an inch in the rear. BMR LCA's
Stange engineering adjustables up front, set lowest level.
You need more sidewall on those tires. You can go width all day if you're still on a 40 sidewall its not going to help. I had 275/60/15's on both stangs the 3.7 being manual and the 5.0 auto. Had the et street SS on the last few passes with the 5.0 and dead hooked no problems. Going with a similar size on this project 3.7 im doing but its going to be a bias ply for sure. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUjeA0GAssY

#9 ·
15"

You say you ran it on the 2014 5.0 what 15 " rim, 15X9 or 15X10 and who made it and how much offset and did you need to relocate the sway bar brackets?
I think a 275 would be great size but I've seen mixed bags on 15" rims fitting.
If it worked on your 14 it'll work on my 13.
Thanks!

#12 ·
Wheels

Found something similar on LMR site, they say relocations are required as well.
Thanks for getting back to me Bodon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.