Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Rev x tuner

29K views 56 replies 18 participants last post by  5LHO 
#1 ·
Hello all. I did a short search and didn't really find what I was looking for. Has anyone had any experience with the new rev x tuner available at am? Just curious how it is. It looks interesting. I'm looking to get a turner here in a little bit and I'm open to any suggestions. I have a mostly stock 2014 GT and I always burn 93 in it so I figured I may as well get a 93 tune on it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply. They seem to be the same price so that's a non issue. Are steeda tunes much better than bama? I'd rather buy the right tuner and lifetime tunes the first time. Steeda has a bully dog that looks just like the rev x which is interesting... but I've always heard great things about sct. Have you used both? Thanks again for the reply!

#6 ·
The Rev X is an SCT tuner that is made for AM. It seems to have the same features as the X4.

I gave up on Steeda in 15 for tunes when I couldn't get them to respond to emails, phone calls or give me feedback on datalogs. They may have gotten that straightened out but I would recommend getting some feedback from someone who has had recent dealings with them on tunes.

#8 ·
I've never heard of Steeda having bad customer service before, but I am sure it happens.

I have Bama tunes now, and wish I had Steeda. I've always had great results when calling, and when helping others with Steeda products.

#18 ·
There is nothing wrong with an emailed tune. At the end of the day it is still a data file that controls the parameters of your car. However, not all tunes and tuners are equal.

Some people have had great success with BAMA, and others have experienced problems. The same can be said for Steeda or anyone else that is writing a tune.

The benefit to a dyno tune is in the thought that every last ounce of power can be found and applied. I will agree that you will get a very accurate tune specific to your needs while using a dyno, but even a dyno is not perfect.

When you put your car in front of a fan, and set its wheels on the rollers, your first pull is a data log that applies to the environment the dyno is in. Your tech / tuner is tuning for the optimum results at that point in time. Your car will have the hood up, so you will be getting better air flow than normal. You will also have less overall heat due to the open hood. Ambient air temp, barometric pressure, humidity, altitude, etc is all a part of the dyno's environment, and plays a part in the final result.

So how do the emailed tunes get the job done? Normally the people writing the tunes have a conservative set of parameters to follow that were applied to various other cars like yours, with the same modifications. The data is collected through dyno run sheets, and real time data logs.

If you have a tunes for life program, you should be able to run a real time, street data log, and have the tuner adjust the parameters as accurate, if not more accurate than on a dyno. The truth is that a "canned" tune is basically an educated guess.

While I was racing drag bikes, I never put my bike on a dyno. I would run a test pass, get the data log, and then adjust the timing, air/fuel ratio, etc given my location and conditions. There is not a need to be this accurate with a daily driven street vehicle. If you are pushing for every ounce of power possible, I can promise you that something will break while you push the limits.

Long answer short; an email tune is fine more times than not.

#19 ·
Thank you for that great explanation revvv! That's more of how I was originally thinking it would be done. Get a tuner with a close tune, datalog, send off the results, and get it tweaked. Now to find a good company to go with. I'm leaning more towards steeda only because I've heard more good than bad about them vs bama. I'm surprised no one else has chimed in on any other companies that provide the same type of services. Thanks again for your reply man, greatly appreciated!

#24 · (Edited)
I’ve tried several email tunes (including all the ones listed here except VMP). All were an improvement (seat of the pants feel) over stock. I find MPT to be my favorite. More low end torque and better throttle response on my steed.

That said, asking who’s best, is like asking what flavor water enhancer is best. Everyone’s taste is different once you get past the basics (safety & drivability).

Everyone has their own favorite flavor.

#25 ·
I'm more interested in reliability of the company as I've heard bad things about some. Yes I want a great tune as well, but customer service plays a role too. Most tunes I've heard are pretty good, but a lot of people talk bad about customer service...

#31 ·
You can get tunes for life with steeda as well. So for a beginner to tuning, I'm on the fence about which to get. Or just go with MPT and not have tunes for life. I'm thinking of getting the tuner with tunes for life to start out with, then trying MPT in the future. I'm just still not sure who to go with yet lol. It's a harder decision than I thought it would be lol...

#38 ·
If this what directed towards me, I received my X4, downloaded my stock tune from SCT, loaded it to the car and had no issues. I then loaded my Bama 91Race tune, and also had no issues. I have loaded multiple times l tunes since... All with no issues. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#40 ·
Neither Steeda or Bama tunes are good tunes. Steeda are a little better but still canned. If you have a Coyote and didn't go with AED, VMP or Lund (or a confirmed good local dyno) you did it wrong.

Steeda LOCAL tunes that you'd get taking the car into the Steeda shop in Florida are very good tho but that's not what you got if you got the one from the website.

#42 ·
I'd get in touch with James Gordon. WELCOME TO TUNING BY JAMES He's one of the lead tuners for Steeda and has a crapton of experience. Tuned my car remotely, lot of other ppl use him. If you can get him to do a tune for you locally the car should be super fine tuned.

#44 ·
Tunes by James

I contacted him and in the end he talked me out of it.
Asked me what I was looking for and if I was trying to correct any issues etc.
I told him my situation and in the end he didn't feel he could do much better than what I was running.
I appreciate guys who are experience, and ask these type of questions. It may be self preservation, somebody not bad rapping him because his tune didn't do much over what they were running, but nonetheless he appears to know what he is doing and is really looking out for his customers.
In that case, i don't think you'll do wrong by choosing him.

#46 ·
Yeah and that bama tune is borderline dangerous. Ask any legit tuner about what bama tune logs look like.

Sent from my Z978 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#51 ·
Unfortunately I bought my rev x tuner used from somebody on eBay and I can't return it as if it was a retailer and some costing me as much as buying it new because I have to pay for the tunes for life and the unlock maybe you're right I should have bought an X4 tuner if that's really better than rev-x I'll take your word for it but I would like more details as if why it's really better than the rev x on an 04 mustang GT 4.6 specifically

The RevX has a troubled history. MANY people have reported problems that ultimately persuaded them to get and X4. If your RevX can be returned or exchanged, I'd go that route.
Unfortunately I bought this used I think it was somebody on eBay and I can't get a refund like it was a retailer maybe I should take your word and get the Rev x but my money is already spent now and have to do pay for unlock and tunes for life but if I had to do it all over I'd buy a brand new one it would cost the same money plus I get a guarantee if I could get more details how and or why the X4 is better I'd love to hear about it especially for the 04 mustang GT 4.6 engine 5 speed

#52 ·
I could get more details how and or why the X4 is better I'd love to hear about it especially for the 04 mustang GT 4.6 engine 5 speed
Because it works well. It's not specific to the 04 GT, it just tends to be reliable more than troublesome. The RevX can't say the same.

#54 ·
I'm kicking myself that I sold the X4 tuner to somebod
Yeah, I bet.

I bet you also very few issues (probably none) when using your X4 device.

#55 ·
It's true but I never tried getting custom tuned with the X4 would you have to pay for so I chose to pay to get the custom tunes for life with the Rev x because I had the cloud tunes but even the cloud tunes failed getting error code when I find out by the weekend what's going on with the tuner that I sent over to SCT with whatever is going on with it maybe I'll have to spend the money to buy a brand new tune ouch 400 something dollars now maybe but a dino tone the shop wants to charge $1,300 that's crazy 🤑

I see America muscle and Brenspeed both have the X4 tuner but American muscle is much cheaper are they any different I wonder if anybody knows the facts on that like if the more expensive one is better and what way

#56 ·
The Brenspeed sold x4 is the same device. No better no worse. The tunes from Brenspeed are generally better. The Dyno-Tune is usually head-shoulders above any canned tune. You can’t really compare a Dyno tune to a canned tune..

#57 ·
All you need is the device but I bought my NA tunes from VMP, with the X4 device. They were great tunes. Now I'm boosted, Brenspeed emailed the tune for my X4 and it also works very well.

Reactions: crjackson
This post has been deleted