Rev x tuner - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-16-2017, 10:41 AM   #1

Region: Florida
Rev x tuner

Hello all. I did a short search and didn't really find what I was looking for. Has anyone had any experience with the new rev x tuner available at am? Just curious how it is. It looks interesting. I'm looking to get a turner here in a little bit and I'm open to any suggestions. I have a mostly stock 2014 GT and I always burn 93 in it so I figured I may as well get a 93 tune on it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
ByBlaZeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2017, 02:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Avoid AM and BAMA. Go to Steeda and purchase an SCT X4 and their tunes for life. You will be much happier.

This is my opinion.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Steeda tunes are ho hum at best. Avoid them and Bama. Never hard of Rev X Tuner.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2017, 04:20 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply. They seem to be the same price so that's a non issue. Are steeda tunes much better than bama? I'd rather buy the right tuner and lifetime tunes the first time. Steeda has a bully dog that looks just like the rev x which is interesting... but I've always heard great things about sct. Have you used both? Thanks again for the reply!
Old 10-16-2017, 04:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Steeda tunes are ho hum at best. Avoid them and Bama. Never hard of Rev X Tuner.
What would you recommend? The rev x is what the list as the "new" tuner on am...
Old 10-16-2017, 05:31 PM   #6

Region: Massachusetts
The Rev X is an SCT tuner that is made for AM. It seems to have the same features as the X4.

I gave up on Steeda in 15 for tunes when I couldn't get them to respond to emails, phone calls or give me feedback on datalogs. They may have gotten that straightened out but I would recommend getting some feedback from someone who has had recent dealings with them on tunes.
dgc333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc333 View Post
The Rev X is an SCT tuner that is made for AM. It seems to have the same features as the X4.

I gave up on Steeda in 15 for tunes when I couldn't get them to respond to emails, phone calls or give me feedback on datalogs. They may have gotten that straightened out but I would recommend getting some feedback from someone who has had recent dealings with them on tunes.
Thanks for that. Can anybody chime in on this? I'd like a nice tuner with reliable good quality lifetime tunes. It's seeming like that might not exsist...
Old 10-16-2017, 09:29 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I've never heard of Steeda having bad customer service before, but I am sure it happens.

I have Bama tunes now, and wish I had Steeda. I've always had great results when calling, and when helping others with Steeda products.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:59 PM   #9

Best bang for your buck is to have a dyno tune done.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
5.0workhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:14 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0workhorse View Post

Street tune.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0workhorse View Post

I can see that if I had heavy modifications. But having a car that's stock minus some axle backs I would think one of the lifetime tuner programs would be more bang for my buck... I could be wrong but if I want to add mods in the future I think the lifetime tuner with data loging would be more beneficial, no? That's why I'm asking I want as much feedback as I can get on a tuner. Not trying to be insulting in any way, just trying to better understand these things. Thanks for everyone's input so far!
Old 10-18-2017, 12:18 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByBlaZeD View Post
I can see that if I had heavy modifications. But having a car that's stock minus some axle backs I would think one of the lifetime tuner programs would be more bang for my buck... I could be wrong but if I want to add mods in the future I think the lifetime tuner with data loging would be more beneficial, no? That's why I'm asking I want as much feedback as I can get on a tuner. Not trying to be insulting in any way, just trying to better understand these things. Thanks for everyone's input so far!
This is my thought.

...and you can have a dyno tune written. And loaded onto a SCT.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:06 AM   #13

Region: Canada
i just received my rev x.
now waiting for the 2 free custom tunes that are included.
do i have to use bama for the free 2 tunes?
donho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:07 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by donho View Post
What? Why not use REV X for your free tunes?
Old 10-18-2017, 08:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Yes I believe that's the package. Sct rev x tuner with bama tunes for life. That's what I saw on am anyway. It's crazy that the rev x looks identical to the bully dog steeda offers but the bully dog obviously doesn't state it's made by sct like the rev x.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:10 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No, you can purchase tunes from anyone you would like. A tune is nothing more than a data file.

If you purchased the tuner from AM, you likely have their tunes for life.

You can likely also use the handheld device to manually adjust for the parts you have installed. That is how most of the handheld devices work.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
This is my thought.

...and you can have a dyno tune written. And loaded onto a SCT.
Yes I know I can do that. But dynos aren't cheap... Are the custom tunes that aren't dyno tunes really that bad? It just seemed like with a mostly stock car it'd be the cheaper route... but if it's not safe for the car then screw it lol. I just figured since I burn 93 all the time I'd benefit from a 93 tune.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:36 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

There is nothing wrong with an emailed tune. At the end of the day it is still a data file that controls the parameters of your car. However, not all tunes and tuners are equal.

Some people have had great success with BAMA, and others have experienced problems. The same can be said for Steeda or anyone else that is writing a tune.

The benefit to a dyno tune is in the thought that every last ounce of power can be found and applied. I will agree that you will get a very accurate tune specific to your needs while using a dyno, but even a dyno is not perfect.

When you put your car in front of a fan, and set its wheels on the rollers, your first pull is a data log that applies to the environment the dyno is in. Your tech / tuner is tuning for the optimum results at that point in time. Your car will have the hood up, so you will be getting better air flow than normal. You will also have less overall heat due to the open hood. Ambient air temp, barometric pressure, humidity, altitude, etc is all a part of the dyno's environment, and plays a part in the final result.

So how do the emailed tunes get the job done? Normally the people writing the tunes have a conservative set of parameters to follow that were applied to various other cars like yours, with the same modifications. The data is collected through dyno run sheets, and real time data logs.

If you have a tunes for life program, you should be able to run a real time, street data log, and have the tuner adjust the parameters as accurate, if not more accurate than on a dyno. The truth is that a "canned" tune is basically an educated guess.

While I was racing drag bikes, I never put my bike on a dyno. I would run a test pass, get the data log, and then adjust the timing, air/fuel ratio, etc given my location and conditions. There is not a need to be this accurate with a daily driven street vehicle. If you are pushing for every ounce of power possible, I can promise you that something will break while you push the limits.

Long answer short; an email tune is fine more times than not.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:21 AM   #19

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with an emailed tune. At the end of the day it is still a data file that controls the parameters of your car. However, not all tunes and tuners are equal.

Some people have had great success with BAMA, and others have experienced problems. The same can be said for Steeda or anyone else that is writing a tune.

The benefit to a dyno tune is in the thought that every last ounce of power can be found and applied. I will agree that you will get a very accurate tune specific to your needs while using a dyno, but even a dyno is not perfect.

When you put your car in front of a fan, and set its wheels on the rollers, your first pull is a data log that applies to the environment the dyno is in. Your tech / tuner is tuning for the optimum results at that point in time. Your car will have the hood up, so you will be getting better air flow than normal. You will also have less overall heat due to the open hood. Ambient air temp, barometric pressure, humidity, altitude, etc is all a part of the dyno's environment, and plays a part in the final result.

So how do the emailed tunes get the job done? Normally the people writing the tunes have a conservative set of parameters to follow that were applied to various other cars like yours, with the same modifications. The data is collected through dyno run sheets, and real time data logs.

If you have a tunes for life program, you should be able to run a real time, street data log, and have the tuner adjust the parameters as accurate, if not more accurate than on a dyno. The truth is that a "canned" tune is basically an educated guess.

While I was racing drag bikes, I never put my bike on a dyno. I would run a test pass, get the data log, and then adjust the timing, air/fuel ratio, etc given my location and conditions. There is not a need to be this accurate with a daily driven street vehicle. If you are pushing for every ounce of power possible, I can promise you that something will break while you push the limits.

Long answer short; an email tune is fine more times than not.
Thank you for that great explanation revvv! That's more of how I was originally thinking it would be done. Get a tuner with a close tune, datalog, send off the results, and get it tweaked. Now to find a good company to go with. I'm leaning more towards steeda only because I've heard more good than bad about them vs bama. I'm surprised no one else has chimed in on any other companies that provide the same type of services. Thanks again for your reply man, greatly appreciated!
Old 10-18-2017, 09:48 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

If you ask for opinions you will hear about VMP and a lot of other tuning programmers writing tunes.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:53 AM   #21

Yes any opinions and recent dealing experiences with different companies would be helpful as well. Thank you to all of you that have chimed in so far!
Old 10-18-2017, 02:27 PM   #22

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Yes I believe that's the package. Sct rev x tuner with bama tunes for life. That's what I saw on am anyway. It's crazy that the rev x looks identical to the bully dog steeda offers but the bully dog obviously doesn't state it's made by sct like the rev x.
Bully Dog was purchased by SCT so it's not surprising that they are selling the same product under both names.
dgc333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:21 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc333 View Post
Bully Dog was purchased by SCT so it's not surprising that they are selling the same product under both names.
AM repackages SCT's equipment. The SCT X4 I have says BAMA instead of SCT.

So yes, it is the same product under a different name.

If you bought the BAMA tunes for life, give them a shot. You have already paid for the service. If they don't work out, simply purchase the Steeda tune package and load it onto the device.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:10 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I’ve tried several email tunes (including all the ones listed here except VMP). All were an improvement (seat of the pants feel) over stock. I find MPT to be my favorite. More low end torque and better throttle response on my steed.

That said, asking who’s best, is like asking what flavor water enhancer is best. Everyone’s taste is different once you get past the basics (safety & drivability).

Everyone has their own favorite flavor.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:06 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
I’ve tried several email tunes (including all the ones listed here except VMP). All were an improvement (seat of the pants feel) over stock. I find MPT to be my favorite. More low end torque and better throttle response on my steed.

That said, asking who’s best, is like asking what flavor water enhancer is best. Everyone’s taste is different once you get past the basics (safety & drivability).

Everyone has their own favorite flavor.
I'm more interested in reliability of the company as I've heard bad things about some. Yes I want a great tune as well, but customer service plays a role too. Most tunes I've heard are pretty good, but a lot of people talk bad about customer service...
Old 10-19-2017, 02:39 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Steeda!
Old 10-19-2017, 02:58 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm more interested in reliability of the company as I've heard bad things about some. Yes I want a great tune as well, but customer service plays a role too. Most tunes I've heard are pretty good, but a lot of people talk bad about customer service...
I’ve had great customer service with MPT, and terrible with one of the others. I don’t mention the name because it’s anecdotal and easy to find 100 positives to my negative experience. I wouldn’t call any of the tunes mentioned here unsafe, nor would I call their vendors unreliable.

You just have to find the best fitting shoe for YOUR foot. One size fits all doesn’t work here, everyone has different preferences and expectations. I went through many tunes before I landed on my current favorite. If I wanted to spend more money on this endeavor, I’m sure I could find one that I like even better.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:15 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
I’ve had great customer service with MPT, and terrible with one of the others. I don’t mention the name because it’s anecdotal and easy to find 100 positives to my negative experience. I wouldn’t call any of the tunes mentioned here unsafe, nor would I call their vendors unreliable.

You just have to find the best fitting shoe for YOUR foot. One size fits all doesn’t work here, everyone has different preferences and expectations. I went through many tunes before I landed on my current favorite. If I wanted to spend more money on this endeavor, I’m sure I could find one that I like even better.
Yea I've been hearing nothing but good things about MPT. I think I'm leaning towards them at this point... plus I'm only about an hour away from their shop. So if I can't get a hold of them I'll drive over there and beat on the door lol. The only thing that sucks is they don't have a tunes for life program. But I guess it's quality over quantity at this point. I just liked the idea of having tunes for life for when I start modding more to get it updated with out more cost. But you do get what you pay for. Thanks for the reply! Any other opinions or suggestions are still more than welcome! Thanks everyone!
Old 10-19-2017, 07:18 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

You have tunes for life with BAMA. If you want an MPT tune it will just be another tune to add to the wheelhouse. It will load on the device right along with the BAMA tunes.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:26 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea I've been hearing nothing but good things about MPT. I think I'm leaning towards them at this point... plus I'm only about an hour away from their shop. So if I can't get a hold of them I'll drive over there and beat on the door lol. The only thing that sucks is they don't have a tunes for life program. But I guess it's quality over quantity at this point. I just liked the idea of having tunes for life for when I start modding more to get it updated with out more cost. But you do get what you pay for. Thanks for the reply! Any other opinions or suggestions are still more than welcome! Thanks everyone!
They won’t charge for updates until after a certain amount of time. I think it’s either 90 days or 6 months. Data logging and adjustments cost nothing.

After that, retunes are $20.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:46 PM   #31

Quote:
You have tunes for life with BAMA. If you want an MPT tune it will just be another tune to add to the wheelhouse. It will load on the device right along with the BAMA tunes.
You can get tunes for life with steeda as well. So for a beginner to tuning, I'm on the fence about which to get. Or just go with MPT and not have tunes for life. I'm thinking of getting the tuner with tunes for life to start out with, then trying MPT in the future. I'm just still not sure who to go with yet lol. It's a harder decision than I thought it would be lol...
Old 10-20-2017, 04:58 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Don't get sucked in on the marketing gimmick of "tunes for life". That's not something you should be purchasing a tune based on. The best tuners right now are AED, VMP, and Lund. Period.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:04 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You can get tunes for life with steeda as well. So for a beginner to tuning, I'm on the fence about which to get. Or just go with MPT and not have tunes for life. I'm thinking of getting the tuner with tunes for life to start out with, then trying MPT in the future. I'm just still not sure who to go with yet lol. It's a harder decision than I thought it would be lol...
Happy to help with your Steeda tune - since you are in Melbourne, you could consider coming by for a dyno tuner which will perform the best.

You can email me at tim@steeda.com if I can help assist.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:27 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Street tune.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Jeez Rap... Stop giving away all of the secrets!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:07 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
Happy to help with your Steeda tune - since you are in Melbourne, you could consider coming by for a dyno tuner which will perform the best.

You can email me at tim@steeda.com if I can help assist.

Best Regards,

TJ
Is that included with a tuner purchase? Lol if it is I'm down I actually grew up in the Pompano/Deerfield area (off sample rd) and still visit friends down there. If not included what does a dyno tune cost from you guys? My car is stock other than roush axle backs, but I'm sure you guys could get me more power! Thanks for the reply!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT