Mustang Evolution Forum banner

BBK 1-3/4 in. Ceramic Tuned Length Shorty Headers on a boss 302

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  BigD 
#1 ·
Hey everyone

I have 13 Boss 302, with an 85mm BBK TB. I'm toying with the idea of getting the BBK 1-3/4 in. Ceramic Tuned Length Shorty Headers Item 56107 from AM. Is anyone running these on their Boss or know anyone who is. It is not tuned nor will it be. The baffles are out of the side exhaust. I have been told they will increase performance (HP) slightly and improve exhaust tone but will not increase it and help keep temps a bit lower.

Does anyone have experience with these?

Cheers

Evan

#3 ·
BBK Short Tubes

Many on the forum will tell you don't bother. I have the Chrome ones on my 13 GT.
Not sure they do more than about 10 hp, people have commented on the sound being a little more throaty. They are considerable work. Wasn't found of long tubes and green cats, especially since many long tubes require extenders for rear O2 sensors. Turning them (rear O2) wasn't an option because I have to meet emissions inspection and I'm sure you would too.
Considerable work for minimal return. But If you are looking for a project, go for it.

#4 ·
My local shop charges $65/h labour and after the parts cost and labour id still be under the exhausts was thinking. The BBK AM suggested are the best bang for my buck. Other brands may cost more but wouldn't garner much gains. I figure (correct me if im mistaken) bbk or anything is better than stock.

#7 ·
You're going to spend $470 to just be "better than stock," as you said. Why not spend a little more to actually get a decent header? All headers are not created equal, it isn't as simple as just slapping some pipes on a collector and calling it a day. You honestly could not give me BBK headers (or BBK anything for that matter) for free for my car, if i'm going to spend my own money, i'm just going to bite the bullet and get good stuff the first time.

Rule number 1 of car mods: The cheap man pays twice.

/rant over.

#9 ·
You have a 13 boss with the hood vents, neither header will impact you enough that you will have an appreciable difference. I personally ran the kooks headers because with the advances in vvt technology you can have low end torque AND high end hp. Best of both worlds, so why not.

#11 ·
I personally ran the kooks headers because with the advances in vvt technology you can have low end torque AND high end hp. Best of both worlds, so why not.
If you get long tubes but with smaller primaries, say 1-5/8" or 1-3/4", does that mitigate the losses on the low end (assuming same primary length)? I remember reading that it does, I just didn't know if it was enough to actually offset the losses on our cars. I guess a specific RPM would hone my question further, but mainly I'm wondering about the whole low end range. Currently debating long vs. shorty on my car, so if I could gain top end and not lose bottom end that would be ideal.

Sorry if this is a thread hijack.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.