BBK 1-3/4 in. Ceramic Tuned Length Shorty Headers on a boss 302 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-20-2017, 09:12 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
BBK 1-3/4 in. Ceramic Tuned Length Shorty Headers on a boss 302

Hey everyone

I have 13 Boss 302, with an 85mm BBK TB. I'm toying with the idea of getting the BBK 1-3/4 in. Ceramic Tuned Length Shorty Headers Item 56107 from AM. Is anyone running these on their Boss or know anyone who is. It is not tuned nor will it be. The baffles are out of the side exhaust. I have been told they will increase performance (HP) slightly and improve exhaust tone but will not increase it and help keep temps a bit lower.

Does anyone have experience with these?

Cheers

Evan
Vicham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2017, 09:18 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If you're going to get shorties, get shorties worth getting like Kooks. BBK is bargain basement crap.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:19 AM   #3
REG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
BBK Short Tubes

Many on the forum will tell you don't bother. I have the Chrome ones on my 13 GT.
Not sure they do more than about 10 hp, people have commented on the sound being a little more throaty. They are considerable work. Wasn't found of long tubes and green cats, especially since many long tubes require extenders for rear O2 sensors. Turning them (rear O2) wasn't an option because I have to meet emissions inspection and I'm sure you would too.
Considerable work for minimal return. But If you are looking for a project, go for it.
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2017, 09:35 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

My local shop charges $65/h labour and after the parts cost and labour id still be under the exhausts was thinking. The BBK AM suggested are the best bang for my buck. Other brands may cost more but wouldn't garner much gains. I figure (correct me if im mistaken) bbk or anything is better than stock.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:02 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicham View Post
I figure (correct me if im mistaken) bbk or anything is better than stock.
Don't be so sure.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:16 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Grabber Blue

Would they be a waste of time and money then?
Old 10-20-2017, 11:50 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Grabber Blue

You're going to spend $470 to just be "better than stock," as you said. Why not spend a little more to actually get a decent header? All headers are not created equal, it isn't as simple as just slapping some pipes on a collector and calling it a day. You honestly could not give me BBK headers (or BBK anything for that matter) for free for my car, if i'm going to spend my own money, i'm just going to bite the bullet and get good stuff the first time.

Rule number 1 of car mods: The cheap man pays twice.

/rant over.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:57 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

So better to spend the extra couple hundred for the kooks.

Is there that much of a heat shedding difference between ceramic and stainless And between 1 3/4 vs 1 7/8ths? Larger diameter obviously allows for more flow...
Old 10-20-2017, 12:06 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

You have a 13 boss with the hood vents, neither header will impact you enough that you will have an appreciable difference. I personally ran the kooks headers because with the advances in vvt technology you can have low end torque AND high end hp. Best of both worlds, so why not.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:38 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Grabber Blue

Yes and in my opinion any shorty header would be.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:45 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
I personally ran the kooks headers because with the advances in vvt technology you can have low end torque AND high end hp. Best of both worlds, so why not.
If you get long tubes but with smaller primaries, say 1-5/8" or 1-3/4", does that mitigate the losses on the low end (assuming same primary length)? I remember reading that it does, I just didn't know if it was enough to actually offset the losses on our cars. I guess a specific RPM would hone my question further, but mainly I'm wondering about the whole low end range. Currently debating long vs. shorty on my car, so if I could gain top end and not lose bottom end that would be ideal.

Sorry if this is a thread hijack.
CodyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:52 PM   #12

Kooks long tube with the catted X pipe. Good gains and sweet sounding!
SNKBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:55 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNKBIT View Post
Kooks long tube with the catted X pipe. Good gains and sweet sounding!
Kooks doesn't have a longtube header. Just shorties and mid lengths.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyC View Post
If you get long tubes but with smaller primaries, say 1-5/8" or 1-3/4", does that mitigate the losses on the low end (assuming same primary length)? I remember reading that it does, I just didn't know if it was enough to actually offset the losses on our cars. I guess a specific RPM would hone my question further, but mainly I'm wondering about the whole low end range. Currently debating long vs. shorty on my car, so if I could gain top end and not lose bottom end that would be ideal.

Sorry if this is a thread hijack.
Obviously it will come down to each specific header design, but more or less the answer to your question is yes.

Runner primary diameter is important for exhaust gas velocity, a smaller runner having higher velocity in the low and mid range = more low and mid range torque, but velocity slows at the upper rpms as it becomes a restriction.
Larger primaries promote lazy exhaust flow at low to mid range, but flow freely up top = high rpm gains.

Something like a 1-5/8" with a proper collector design (because ideally we would be capitalizing on exhaust gas scavenging) and a good tune should realistically produce gains across the board.

My kooks 1-7/8" shorties actually made torque over stock, but i had gone to a CJ and lost torque over the stock manifold, so that's kind of a mind Fk anyways lol...
Old 10-20-2017, 04:11 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Obviously it will come down to each specific header design, but more or less the answer to your question is yes.

Runner primary diameter is important for exhaust gas velocity, a smaller runner having higher velocity in the low and mid range = more low and mid range torque, but velocity slows at the upper rpms as it becomes a restriction.
Larger primaries promote lazy exhaust flow at low to mid range, but flow freely up top = high rpm gains.

Something like a 1-5/8" with a proper collector design (because ideally we would be capitalizing on exhaust gas scavenging) and a good tune should realistically produce gains across the board.

My kooks 1-7/8" shorties actually made torque over stock, but i had gone to a CJ and lost torque over the stock manifold, so that's kind of a mind Fk anyways lol...
I'm looking at the American Racing Headers 1-3/4" (no 1-5/8" option from them) with catted H pipe. I know ARH uses scavenger spikes on their collectors. So hopefully I won't be giving up much, if anything, if I do go the long tube route.
CodyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:37 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I just did the 1 7/8 Kooks LT headers with the Boss 302 mid pipe......also did the high flow cats......Awesome set up IMO
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT