2018 Performance Pkg; yes or no - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-22-2017, 08:45 AM   #1
RBK
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
2018 Performance Pkg; yes or no

I'm going to buy a 2018 GT Fastback but am on the fence about spending $4K on the performance package. Getting an automatic but would add the 4:55 rear end, which is a $500 option; also want the Ebony Black Wheels which I would have to get aftermarket, estimate about $1K all in on those. If I subtract what I would spend to add what I want to the non-performance package car, I would be spending about $2,500 for all the additional stuff listed below. Is it worth it or do I piecemeal the stuff I want?

The GT Performance Package includes:
• 19" X 9" (F) 19" X 9.5" (R) Ebony Black-painted Aluminum
• 255/40R19 (F) 275/40R19 (R) Summer Only Tires
• Brembo ™ Six-Piston Front Brake Calipers with Larger Rotors
• "Engine Spun" Aluminum Instrument Panel
• Gauge Pack (Oil Pressure and Vacuum)
• Heavy-duty Front Springs
• K-Brace
• Larger Radiator
• Performance Rear Wing (Fastback Only)
• Silver Painted Strut-Tower Brace
• Spoiler Delete (Convertible Only)
• TORSEN® Differential with 3.73 Axle Ratio (Manual)
• TORSEN® Differential with 3.55 Axle Ratio (Automatic)
• Unique Chassis Tuning
• Unique EPAS, ABS and Stability Control Tuning
• Upsized Rear Sway Bar
RBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2017, 02:37 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I have a non-PP 2015 GT convertible with the 3.55 gears, and love the way it rides and corners.
The PP is going to have noticeably less “give” in the tire sidewall for potholes and other bumps in the road. It is also going to lean much less when driven hard.
If you are going to drive your car very aggressively (or track/autocross it), AND your roads are smooth, I’d say you will enjoy having the PP. If you are just going to cruise, and your roads are like ours here (pretty bad), I’d say you will enjoy saving the money and get the regular suspension.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
By the Time you piecemeal the parts it will end up costing more. Also even though I have a 13 V6 Performance package the suspension tuning and electronics tuning from Ford makes it a different car.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2017, 10:35 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Looks like your have more choices to make:

Performance Pack Level 2 coming for 2018..
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:54 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If you want to leave it stock, it's great stuff to have. If you have plans of modding, the Brembos and Torsen are really the only things worth having so its kinda "ehh" at that point.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

On the 2018's the performance package also includes the magnetic struts and shocks. I don't see how anyone would pass that up. The level 2 has more tweaks to the performance pack including additional tweaks to the Magnaride suspension. I don't see how you can pass up a suspension you can just adjust from the console. Looks like the level 2 gives you huge Sport Cup 2 Tires as well. Level 2 is the GT 350 with the Coyote motor. EXCEPT the active exhaust. I would go for the level 1 myself. You can get that with the 10 speed auto still.
Had 5 Mustangs. the last two were a Black 2012 GT/CS lowered, custom wheels, Airaid CAI, Flowmaster Outlaws, BAMA tune, MMD hood struts, Raxiom Black Halo headlights, 13-14 tail lights, & Raxiom Taillight adapters. Removed the 2012 GT/CS stripe (black on black sucks) Replaced with 13-14 Silver GT/CS stripes. I now have a 2015 Magnetic Gray Premium GT with Performance Pack, Borla's, Velgen 20" wheels with Nitto Invos with 275's up front,and 295's in the rear. Airaid CAI, JLT oil separator.
C013RA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Don't get 3.55's with the auto. First gear in the new 10 speed is stupid low, even more than the 6R80.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:55 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Wow not even true. Got to have that Magnaride suspension. Can't really go after market for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
If you want to leave it stock, it's great stuff to have. If you have plans of modding, the Brembos and Torsen are really the only things worth having so its kinda "ehh" at that point.
Had 5 Mustangs. the last two were a Black 2012 GT/CS lowered, custom wheels, Airaid CAI, Flowmaster Outlaws, BAMA tune, MMD hood struts, Raxiom Black Halo headlights, 13-14 tail lights, & Raxiom Taillight adapters. Removed the 2012 GT/CS stripe (black on black sucks) Replaced with 13-14 Silver GT/CS stripes. I now have a 2015 Magnetic Gray Premium GT with Performance Pack, Borla's, Velgen 20" wheels with Nitto Invos with 275's up front,and 295's in the rear. Airaid CAI, JLT oil separator.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Left off the Magnaride shocks and struts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBK View Post
I'm going to buy a 2018 GT Fastback but am on the fence about spending $4K on the performance package. Getting an automatic but would add the 4:55 rear end, which is a $500 option; also want the Ebony Black Wheels which I would have to get aftermarket, estimate about $1K all in on those. If I subtract what I would spend to add what I want to the non-performance package car, I would be spending about $2,500 for all the additional stuff listed below. Is it worth it or do I piecemeal the stuff I want?

The GT Performance Package includes:
• 19" X 9" (F) 19" X 9.5" (R) Ebony Black-painted Aluminum
• 255/40R19 (F) 275/40R19 (R) Summer Only Tires
• Brembo ™ Six-Piston Front Brake Calipers with Larger Rotors
• "Engine Spun" Aluminum Instrument Panel
• Gauge Pack (Oil Pressure and Vacuum)
• Heavy-duty Front Springs
• K-Brace
• Larger Radiator
• Performance Rear Wing (Fastback Only)
• Silver Painted Strut-Tower Brace
• Spoiler Delete (Convertible Only)
• TORSEN® Differential with 3.73 Axle Ratio (Manual)
• TORSEN® Differential with 3.55 Axle Ratio (Automatic)
• Unique Chassis Tuning
• Unique EPAS, ABS and Stability Control Tuning
• Upsized Rear Sway Bar
Old 10-23-2017, 04:19 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by C013RA View Post
Wow not even true. Got to have that Magnaride suspension. Can't really go after market for that.
No, but you can get stuff better for half the cost.

Now, i am using "better" as outright cornering performance. If you want a DD and occasional corner carver, yes it's a wonderful option, which i feel i pointed out.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:35 PM   #11
RBK
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
This will be my daily driver and I do not plan on modding it. I think the Performance Package will provide everything I need in the way of handling and the new horsepower and torque ratings are all I will ever need. My initial concern was that if I spend $500 to add 3:55 gears to a non-performance package car, and an additional $1,000 for wheels like those that come on the performance package, am I just better off throwing another $2,500 into it and just getting the performance package, which costs $4K, that comes standard with the 3.55 gears and the wheels I want. For the additional $2,500 I pick up all the other goodies in the PP and I now believe they are worth it. PS. From what I can see on the Ford pricing page the PP does not come with Magnaride, that is an additional $1,600+ on top of the performance package, which you must get before you can even order the Magnaride.
RBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:16 PM   #12

Region: Ohio
If it were me, I?d buy the stock PP.
chippy123579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:22 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

You might be able to get it to corner better, but it won't be the shocks and struts doing it. Koni's sure as hell won't. Sure you can replace other parts, and get improvements, but you can't really beat a computer controlled magnetic suspension that's monitored and controlled a thousand times a second. Cars that are using this kind of suspension are setting records all over the world. Struts using the older fluids can't compete. Now if someone came out with aftermarket magnetic shocks and struts that replace the stock one, THEN I could believe that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
No, but you can get stuff better for half the cost.

Now, i am using "better" as outright cornering performance. If you want a DD and occasional corner carver, yes it's a wonderful option, which i feel i pointed out.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:09 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by C013RA View Post
You might be able to get it to corner better, but it won't be the shocks and struts doing it. Koni's sure as hell won't. Sure you can replace other parts, and get improvements, but you can't really beat a computer controlled magnetic suspension that's monitored and controlled a thousand times a second. Cars that are using this kind of suspension are setting records all over the world. Struts using the older fluids can't compete. Now if someone came out with aftermarket magnetic shocks and struts that replace the stock one, THEN I could believe that.
Well you're right about one thing, konis sure as hell wont... Yes, a computer that is designed with factory spring rates and tires in mind. When you mod outside of that, you mod outside of the programmed parameters, and the system is now holding you back. I'm not talking out of my *** here, this is no secret. Lots of people remove the maganride suspension for a dedicated coilover setup. However, there are a small handful of companies who are creating modules to tune magnaride suspension, but quite frankly that sounds like more trouble than it is worth ... imagine having to "datalog" your suspension and have adjustments made. I'd rather do it myself.

Again, for a person at stock to moderate levels of modding they are a wonderful option, i've not talked down on them once. A track pack only makes sense for someone who has no intention of actually tracking, or only doing it every once in a while, which is totally fine. A person who is serious about this as a hobby will replace literally every suspension component (sway bars, shocks, struts, etc) anyways, so they're better off buying a base model and saving the money.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:41 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I can't really say anything about the MRC on the Mustangs, although the price is pretty hefty. I can say that having the ATSV for over a year now has made me a convert. With three modes to choose from, Touring, Sport, and Track...the track mode at PIR mixing it up with some of the BMW M3's...lets just say the M3's saw a lot of the ATSV's tail lights...of course it could have the driver and not the car
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT