Mustang Evolution Forum banner

2018 Performance Pkg; yes or no

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  olerodder 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm going to buy a 2018 GT Fastback but am on the fence about spending $4K on the performance package. Getting an automatic but would add the 4:55 rear end, which is a $500 option; also want the Ebony Black Wheels which I would have to get aftermarket, estimate about $1K all in on those. If I subtract what I would spend to add what I want to the non-performance package car, I would be spending about $2,500 for all the additional stuff listed below. Is it worth it or do I piecemeal the stuff I want?

The GT Performance Package includes:
• 19" X 9" (F) 19" X 9.5" (R) Ebony Black-painted Aluminum
• 255/40R19 (F) 275/40R19 (R) Summer Only Tires
• Brembo ™ Six-Piston Front Brake Calipers with Larger Rotors
• "Engine Spun" Aluminum Instrument Panel
• Gauge Pack (Oil Pressure and Vacuum)
• Heavy-duty Front Springs
• K-Brace
• Larger Radiator
• Performance Rear Wing (Fastback Only)
• Silver Painted Strut-Tower Brace
• Spoiler Delete (Convertible Only)
• TORSEN® Differential with 3.73 Axle Ratio (Manual)
• TORSEN® Differential with 3.55 Axle Ratio (Automatic)
• Unique Chassis Tuning
• Unique EPAS, ABS and Stability Control Tuning
• Upsized Rear Sway Bar

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a non-PP 2015 GT convertible with the 3.55 gears, and love the way it rides and corners.
The PP is going to have noticeably less “give” in the tire sidewall for potholes and other bumps in the road. It is also going to lean much less when driven hard.
If you are going to drive your car very aggressively (or track/autocross it), AND your roads are smooth, I’d say you will enjoy having the PP. If you are just going to cruise, and your roads are like ours here (pretty bad), I’d say you will enjoy saving the money and get the regular suspension.

#3 ·
By the Time you piecemeal the parts it will end up costing more. Also even though I have a 13 V6 Performance package the suspension tuning and electronics tuning from Ford makes it a different car.

Reactions: RBK
#8 ·
Wow not even true. Got to have that Magnaride suspension. Can't really go after market for that.

#6 ·
On the 2018's the performance package also includes the magnetic struts and shocks. I don't see how anyone would pass that up. The level 2 has more tweaks to the performance pack including additional tweaks to the Magnaride suspension. I don't see how you can pass up a suspension you can just adjust from the console. Looks like the level 2 gives you huge Sport Cup 2 Tires as well. Level 2 is the GT 350 with the Coyote motor. EXCEPT the active exhaust. I would go for the level 1 myself. You can get that with the 10 speed auto still.

Reactions: RBK
#9 ·
Left off the Magnaride shocks and struts.

#11 ·
This will be my daily driver and I do not plan on modding it. I think the Performance Package will provide everything I need in the way of handling and the new horsepower and torque ratings are all I will ever need. My initial concern was that if I spend $500 to add 3:55 gears to a non-performance package car, and an additional $1,000 for wheels like those that come on the performance package, am I just better off throwing another $2,500 into it and just getting the performance package, which costs $4K, that comes standard with the 3.55 gears and the wheels I want. For the additional $2,500 I pick up all the other goodies in the PP and I now believe they are worth it. PS. From what I can see on the Ford pricing page the PP does not come with Magnaride, that is an additional $1,600+ on top of the performance package, which you must get before you can even order the Magnaride.

#15 ·
I can't really say anything about the MRC on the Mustangs, although the price is pretty hefty. I can say that having the ATSV for over a year now has made me a convert. With three modes to choose from, Touring, Sport, and Track...the track mode at PIR mixing it up with some of the BMW M3's...lets just say the M3's saw a lot of the ATSV's tail lights...of course it could have the driver and not the car;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.