Excessive rear outer wear - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-04-2017, 12:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Excessive rear outer wear

Had new micheline pilot super sport 5k miles ago, did a visual check on the tires today getting ready to rotate them. I noticed both rear tires outer edge is almost down to the wear bar. The center has about twice less wear and the inside showing normal wear about twice less wear than the middle.

Doesnt seem like toe issue since rear is not adjustable and my last alignment didnt show anything abnormal.
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2017, 02:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
what size tires and rims
blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 02:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
That is an indication that the tire pressure was set too low.
How many psi were the rear tires inflated to?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2017, 06:43 AM   #4
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
that is what I was thinking, but it will tend to wear on both outer edges...1st step with tire wear is always check psi
Old 11-05-2017, 09:02 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

tire pressure is fine, under or over inflation will cause both shoulders to wear or center only.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:07 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
wow...really strange.

Most roads are built with a slight crown or flat but sloped to one side for drainage. I think all the roads in each lane in your area must be reverse cambered in a V contoured shape to wear the tires like that.

And, before everyone says why aren't his fronts the same, I will assume that lowering the car without camber plates or camber bolts yielded big front tire camber which just happens to fit the weird road cross sectional shape for a nice, even wear pattern.

So there.

Obviously I am an idiot and raving. I really hope to hear the actual answer to this as it's a puzzle.

Wait...how about a special reverse cambered rear axle assembly meant for drifting that accidentally found its way into Ford's assembly line when they ran out of the flat ones....

Looking forward to the answer.

All the best.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:39 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkawak View Post
tire pressure is fine, under or over inflation will cause both shoulders to wear or center only.
I must have misunderstood your first post.
If that is the case, then it sounds like your rear end must be bent. That is the only logical explanation.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Bent? So the diff housing must?ve taken a helluva wack? Any marks on the axle tubes or diff housing? I?ve heard of cars being strapped down to transport vehicles too tight and axle tubes being bent (only read it, never confirmed it so take that for what it?s worth) but that would lend itself to inner shoulder wear, not putter...unless your roads are shaped funny lol.
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:59 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

yea its very weird tell me about it, my last alignment in march showed rear all in spec
LR camber -.01 and RR is 0
LR toe- .01 and RR toe .02
specs normal, no accidents, noise or vibration to indicate axles are bent.

With that kind of wear that would mean i have positive camber in the back lol and the axle tube or housing bending upward to get that. Eariler i crawled under the back of the car and used a text book under the axle tube checking for bent but seems straight.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:09 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I suppose the tires could be defective but I doubt it.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:47 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

right click view image for larger size
Old 11-06-2017, 05:00 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkawak View Post
yea its very weird tell me about it, my last alignment in march showed rear all in spec
LR camber -.01 and RR is 0
LR toe- .01 and RR toe .02
specs normal, no accidents, noise or vibration to indicate axles are bent.

With that kind of wear that would mean i have positive camber in the back lol and the axle tube or housing bending upward to get that. Eariler i crawled under the back of the car and used a text book under the axle tube checking for bent but seems straight.
Yes. That would seem to defy all laws of physics, wouldn't It?

So the question begs to be asked... Does the car get driven hard on a regular basis?
Any road race or autocross events on the weekends? Or things of that nature?
Old 11-06-2017, 07:17 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I'm guessing hard turns and off ramps.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:10 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Yes. That would seem to defy all laws of physics, wouldn't It?

So the question begs to be asked... Does the car get driven hard on a regular basis?
Any road race or autocross events on the weekends? Or things of that nature?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
I'm guessing hard turns and off ramps.
its a daily driver, no autocross or drag strip
these tires are amazing compare to stock pirellis, so i do drive it faster and more aggressive throttle with turns but nothing crazy. I thought of that too but woulndt i get that problem with front tires too?
Old 11-06-2017, 09:10 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Depends on pressure, camber and caster, weight distribution under acceleration and braking in the turns etc.
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Michelin Pilot SS have a UTQG treadwear of 300. That's more towards the soft side, so they don't have a reputation for long life.
I wore out a set of 300 tires in one season of autocross. That works out to be about 30 miles of racing. And the car is not my daily driver!
The next set of tires were 200 treadwear Dunlops. After about 3 races, i had those tires dismounted and turned around on the rims so that I could run them on the opposite side of the car, utilizing the fresh shoulder on the outside of the wheel.

You have several options here.
1. You can slow down.
2. You can drive much more aggressively. Put some power down in a straight line. That should keep the rear tires wearing evenly!
3. Rotate your tires more frequently.
4. Do nothing and just keep enjoying the sticky tires. After all, it's why you bought the car in the first place!

And it's possible that the fronts are wearing evenly due to the front end steering geometry being more suited to keeping the tires planted flat on the road surface during cornering, compared to a straight axle rear.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:59 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Michelin Pilot SS have a UTQG treadwear of 300. That's more towards the soft side, so they don't have a reputation for long life.
I wore out a set of 300 tires in one season of autocross. That works out to be about 30 miles of racing. And the car is not my daily driver!
The next set of tires were 200 treadwear Dunlops. After about 3 races, i had those tires dismounted and turned around on the rims so that I could run them on the opposite side of the car, utilizing the fresh shoulder on the outside of the wheel.

1. You can slow down.
2. You can drive much more aggressively. Put some power down in a straight line. That should keep the rear tires wearing evenly!
4. Do nothing and just keep enjoying the sticky tires. After all, it's why you bought the car in the first place!

And it's possible that the fronts are wearing evenly due to the front end steering geometry being more suited to keeping the tires planted flat on the road surface during cornering, compared to a straight axle rear.
Thanks, i just rotated them today and i have my fingers crossed its the tire and not something wrong in the rear lol
Old 11-07-2017, 10:16 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:

1. You can slow down.
2. You can drive much more aggressively. Put some power down in a straight line. That should keep the rear tires wearing evenly! [IMG class=inlineimg]http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/images/smilies/new/thumb.gif[/IMG]

#2-#4, emphasis on #2
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:01 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I've had tire wear problems on my 14 GT since new but it seems mine start with the front tires and I rotate every 5,000 miles. I've had my alignment checked three times in 27,000 miles and it's only been out a small amount but not enough to cause the chopped wear my tires experience.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:28 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
I've had tire wear problems on my 14 GT since new but it seems mine start with the front tires and I rotate every 5,000 miles. I've had my alignment checked three times in 27,000 miles and it's only been out a small amount but not enough to cause the chopped wear my tires experience.
The trouble with getting alignments is that there is a certain range where the vehicle will still be within specifications, although that particular setting may not be ideal regarding tire wear, road tracking, etc. The problem is that the person doing the alignment sees that the alignment specs are within the factory range and doesn't know, or really care, how the settings can affect the way that the vehicle responds to steering inputs, and will effect the way that the tires will wear.
You really need to become more knowledgeable about the alignment specs on your particular vehicle than the person doing the alignment. The alignment tech becomes just a tool, and you give direction as to what the alignment specs are set to.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:10 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I've had mine done twice at Ford dealerships and checked once at an independent tire shop. Unfortunately I don't know much about alignments or the specs. All the specs I can find about this car are of coarse all the same. What you mentioned in the first two lines of your response above is pretty much what I've been told at all of these places.

With that being said, my fiancee owns an 07 GT with only 20,000 miles on it and until recently, still had the original Pirelli tires on it. She never rotated the tires on this car and her car has never worn tires like mine does and I have mine rotated on a regular schedule. I'm also running factory Pirelli tires on my car though I've run three different sets between the original ones that came on the car and the almost new tires on the two other take off sets of tires and wheels that I've run on this car.

One dealer told me some of my problems are because the factory tires are not that great but then how do you explain my fiancee's tires on her car?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT