Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Battery care

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Conspiracy 
#1 ·
What do you do to help with battery and cable care for your Mustang?

I have noticed that the positive clamp is starting to show signs of erosion, and I am starting to worry when I will have to replace it and what is available to replace it with (OEM or aftermarket). I was Jonnhy-Come-Lately when I had a Civic, but that was saved with a cable saver instead of the whole damn harness (the corrosion seeped into the cable itself).

I do clean my terminals every few months, and then use CRC Battery Terminal Protector. However, I may need to start using that every month even.

#3 ·
if it just the clamp swap it out, if the cable has damage I would add in a splice and clamp. I am old school and put di-electrical grease on mine.
I found a video on YouTube that shows how to replace the part I am talking about. The video is for a Ford Explorer 2015, but it is the same part for the Mustang.

Motorcraft part number: 14526A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v6VFpv0x3w

#6 ·
This is true, but I think there is a part that you can buy if the bracket.

I found a YouTube video where someone is replacing this piece on their 2015 Ford Explorer and it is called a "circuit breaker."

Ford Motorcraft part 14526. I think it is actually several pieces in one, but this does cross-reference to the Mustang 5.0. I will have to go to a local dealer and see.

A full harness cannot be the only option. I'll find out.

#7 ·
So after digging around for a while, I believe I found a solution.

On the 5.0, the positive battery cable has a couple of connections to the 'circuit breaker', with a final connection to the battery terminal with the clamp.

My clamp is starting to corrode to the point that there will be structural issues and break in the future. For the 5.0 and apparently the F150, the only plug n play OEM solution is to purchase the Positive Battery Cable from Ford; for the 5.0 it is $300.

However, there is a battery terminal clamp that is offered for the Ford Edge (BT4Z-14450-AA) which is same clamp you'll find used for in positive battery cable for the F150 and Mustang. Ford simply doesn't offer this clamp separately for the Mustang or F150.

You can purchase the BT4Z-14450-AA, cut off the old clamp with a Dremel, and them crimp the new clamp on. The caveat here, is a proper crimp tool (Open Barrel B-Type crimper) for 2 AWG size wire is ~$145. Others have used vice grips with a screw to brute force a crimp.

I finally found this wisdom on Amazon Reviews for the BT4Z-14450-AA:

https://www.amazon.com/Ford-BT4Z-14450-AA-Battery-Clamp-Bolt/dp/B008Y80GZE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.