Disappointed with BAMA Tunes - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-01-2018, 07:30 PM   #36
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coosawjack View Post
My BAMA tunes are a couple years old and are stronger than stock (SOP DYNO) and I have no complaints......idles well......great throttle response.....shifts and runs great to 7K RPM's!!

Maybe they have slacked off lately??
What is your AFR from 1500 to 7K at WOT?
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2018, 04:25 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
What is your AFR from 1500 to 7K at WOT?
Don't know but pulls like crazy and never any detonation so I guess it's OK after 2 years??

Canned tunes don't really do much N/A and a dyno tune would be required for forced induction........I think some of you are really over thinking these email tunes!!

BAMA has done OK as far as I'm concerned scotty!!
Coosawjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:18 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
My Bama tunes on my 5.0 had a fair bit of knock. There's enough bad data on BAMA that i cant believe some people are so stubborn about it... and yes, stubborn is the right word. There's enough other good tuners with good, proven, results that running BAMA shouldn't even be a discussion.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2018, 09:22 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Disappointed with BAMA Tunes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
My Bama tunes on my 5.0 had a fair bit of knock. There's enough bad data on BAMA that i cant believe some people are so stubborn about it... and yes, stubborn is the right word. There's enough other good tuners with good, proven, results that running BAMA shouldn't even be a discussion.
Voltwing -
How can you tell it had knock? I am NOT questioning you - I’m just a car newb, so any info you can give is greatly appreciated.

I honestly regret going with them.
So far it’s the start of business day 5, and haven’t heard a peep.

Grabber Blue ‘14 V6: Premium package, MBRP Pro Catbacks, Air Raid CAI, BAMA tune. (Wife-mobile).
KonaGT12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:06 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaGT12 View Post
I honestly regret going with them.
So far it’s the start of business day 5, and haven’t heard a peep.
Is there any chance they are counting all the cash that flowed in from over Christmas sales and are servicing the new money to lock it in? They already have yours in the bank.
Roush splitter, GT500 quad exhaust and cosmetic crap.
Positive attitude and sunny disposition.
UUUd444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:39 PM   #41
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Don't know but pulls like crazy and never any detonation so I guess it's OK after 2 years??

Canned tunes don't really do much N/A and a dyno tune would be required for forced induction........I think some of you are really over thinking these email tunes!!

BAMA has done OK as far as I'm concerned scotty!!
Ok so you aren't qualified to discuss how good they are either because you also don't even know what your AFR is.

Quote:
You tell ppl to get another tune and its like you insulted their mom. I don't understand it either.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:34 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Hey guys, my Bama tuner will be in the classifieds tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:33 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I purchased a Bama X4/SF4 Power Flash Tuner with tunes for life from American Muscle and have not been impressed with their tunes as well. So here is probably a stupid question (not my first LOL) - With this tuner am I stuck with using BAMA tunes or can such device be used to load tunes from other recommended companies?
rgwest61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:36 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

I've said this 100X (not a personal stab at you) but hopefully it catches on at some point lol.

Think of your handheld tuner as a DVD player you bought from Best buy, and think of tunes as DVDs. Even though you bought the DVD player from Best Buy, will it only play DVDs from Best Buy, or will it play DVDs from anywhere. That's the best way i can think to explain it.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:14 PM   #45
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
I've said this 100X (not a personal stab at you) but hopefully it catches on at some point lol.

Think of your handheld tuner as a DVD player you bought from Best buy, and think of tunes as DVDs. Even though you bought the DVD player from Best Buy, will it only play DVDs from Best Buy, or will it play DVDs from anywhere. That's the best way i can think to explain it.
That's actually a good analogy lol.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:10 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Honestly, I did no research other than read some reviews. Did email some questions I had to AM and they never really answered my question of "will this show improvement on a manual transmission car?" My previous experience was based solely on a superchips tuner I had for my 05 Dakota 4,7L. That tuner literally made a night and day "seat of the pants" difference in the way that truck drove. It was an automatic, so it was the changes to the shift points made the differences quite noticeable. As in it held gears longer and the shifts were snappier, which, in turn, made it much more fun to drive. I guess I was hoping this would be another "best bang for the buck" mod I could do like it did for the Dak. Seems like I was expecting too much. I can't tell a damn thing between any of the three tunes except the race tune causes my engine to ping under load. Lesson learned.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:20 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Voltwings thanks for the reply. No offense taken. Being fairly new to this site and not looking at all forum traffic, I had not seen any traffic in the past related to BAMA tuners able to use tunes from other companies. I totally understood the provided analogy.
rgwest61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:18 PM   #48
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:

What are these... "Deee Veee Deees" you speak of???

Old 01-04-2018, 07:05 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Ok so you aren't qualified to discuss how good they are either because you also don't even know what your AFR is.
You "Jersey Boys" sure are SNOTTY scotty!!

Email tunes are mostly between your ears....very little power gain and mostly better throttle response!! 25K miles on my BAMA tune and it's still running GREAT despite the fact I don't have AFR's!!

BTW.....I emailed BAMA Tuesday with a question and got a response Tuesday evening.....once again NO COMPLAINTS here!!
Old 01-04-2018, 07:35 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Can you post a log for us? If it's all good then we'll all eat crow, and if it's not good then at least you'll know and can address the health and safety of your vehicle.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:53 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

I could put it on the dyno if I suspected there was a problem and will to satisfy you IF YOU PAY FOR IT!!

It's just not that important to me Bub!!
Old 01-04-2018, 07:55 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Trust me, the health of your vehicle is even less important to me than it is to you but Datalogs are free, and something you already should have done for Bama during the tuning process. You have nothing to lose here, either you're right or you find a potential issue. You do you though.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:22 AM   #53

I hear ya. I'm running a BOSS 302 intake, GMS coils, BBK 85mm throttle body and a JLT CAI, long tube headers, xpipe and roush exhuast. I should see 500-520 at the crank, which means anywhere from 442-468 at the rear wheel. The BAMA tune on all of it on 93 gas showed a dyno of 380. Basically what a stock GT can do on a dyno. Very disappointed.
PerkinBaLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:25 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerkinBaLL View Post
I hear ya. I'm running a BOSS 302 intake, GMS coils, BBK 85mm throttle body and a JLT CAI, long tube headers, xpipe and roush exhuast. I should see 500-520 at the crank, which means anywhere from 442-468 at the rear wheel. The BAMA tune on all of it on 93 gas showed a dyno of 380. Basically what a stock GT can do on a dyno. Very disappointed.
To be fair, and unbiased, do you have a stock baseline? If i'm (we're) going to bash Bama, we at least need to have good backup to support it.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:27 AM   #55
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Trust me, the health of your vehicle is even less important to me than it is to you but Datalogs are free, and something you already should have done for Bama during the tuning process. You have nothing to lose here, either you're right or you find a potential issue. You do you though.
In my case, the tuner and BAMA tunes were a gift so I humbly accepted. Since I bought a house, I just haven't had the funds to really buy stuff for the GT. Trust me, it wouldn't have been my first choice as I was actually eyeballing the Lund tunes prior to the home purchase. I waited until this Christmas just to get the Ford Racing shocks to compliment my lowering springs and Tail Light covers.

I can probably find the last datalog from my GT to BAMA if you would like to at least give it a look. We went through multiple datalogging sessions and revisions. Let me know and I'll dig it up!

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:54 AM   #56

Quote:
To be fair, and unbiased, do you have a stock baseline? If i'm (we're) going to bash Bama, we at least need to have good backup to support it.
Yea the baseline would be at stock GT is 358-367 rwhp. In which several dynos have shown from reputable car magazines
PerkinBaLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:59 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
In my case, the tuner and BAMA tunes were a gift so I humbly accepted. Since I bought a house, I just haven't had the funds to really buy stuff for the GT. Trust me, it wouldn't have been my first choice as I was actually eyeballing the Lund tunes prior to the home purchase. I waited until this Christmas just to get the Ford Racing shocks to compliment my lowering springs and Tail Light covers.

I can probably find the last datalog from my GT to BAMA if you would like to at least give it a look. We went through multiple datalogging sessions and revisions. Let me know and I'll dig it up!
Sure man, post it up, all data is good data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerkinBaLL View Post
Yea the baseline would be at stock GT is 358-367 rwhp. In which several dynos have shown from reputable car magazines
Sorry, i meant from your car on that dyno. Every dyno will read differently, so if you baselined at like 320 whp and then ended up at 380 you still gained 60 whp you know regardless of the fact that the number seems too low.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:23 AM   #58
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

[QUOTE=Voltwings;4261667329]Sure man, post it up, all data is good data.

It site is not letting me post any of them. On their own, the files are over 20 MB each. If I put them in a zipped folder, they are significantly smaller but the site doesn't support ZIP folders. Says "Invalid File". I am not sure how to get them on here.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:33 AM   #59
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
You "Jersey Boys" sure are SNOTTY scotty!!

Email tunes are mostly between your ears....very little power gain and mostly better throttle response!! 25K miles on my BAMA tune and it's still running GREAT despite the fact I don't have AFR's!!

BTW.....I emailed BAMA Tuesday with a question and got a response Tuesday evening.....once again NO COMPLAINTS here!!
Nah, I just call BS when I see it. If you trust that the $12/hr CSR you are working with with no actual tuning experience will meet your needs then... yeah you do you as Volt said.

Still recommend you get a wideband regardless. If you can afford to do other mods but won't pay $130 for a decent wideband and $20 for a bung to be welded onto your pipe then I dunno.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:10 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=ZombieSlayer;4261667337]
Quote:
Sure man, post it up, all data is good data.

It site is not letting me post any of them. On their own, the files are over 20 MB each. If I put them in a zipped folder, they are significantly smaller but the site doesn't support ZIP folders. Says "Invalid File". I am not sure how to get them on here.
The SCT does have a ridiculous data capture rate. What you could try to do is trim the file to only the WOT section and see how much it reduces the file size.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:35 AM   #61
Staff
Regular
Staff

My biggest file is a coldstart file that is like 8 minutes long and 6MB. You don't need to capture super long logs. My WOT pulls I just start it at a light, do the pull and then hit stop when its done.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:11 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Every tune I do. I take a iddle log, at least 10 min of normal driving and then WOT runs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:06 PM   #63
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

[QUOTE=Voltwings;4261667385]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post

The SCT does have a ridiculous data capture rate. What you could try to do is trim the file to only the WOT section and see how much it reduces the file size.
I only grabbed what they told me to. Nothing extra if I could help it. Maybe I could email it to you if you wanna message me an address to send it to.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:51 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Disappointed with BAMA Tunes

Well, results are in...disappointing.

Same results as the first time, with a rewritten V2 race tune. Literally no change from before.
+23 HP and 20 TQ up to 5500 RPM, then lost 8 HP and 16 TQ over 5500 RPMs.

I am bummed. I would think they’d be able to tune it to keep power throughout the entire power band.

Grabber Blue ‘14 V6: Premium package, MBRP Pro Catbacks, Air Raid CAI, BAMA tune. (Wife-mobile).
Old 01-05-2018, 03:42 PM   #65
Staff
Regular
Staff

This is the Bama tune? If so its likely because you aren't dealing with an actual tuner but a CSR paid $12/hr and trained to just give you whatever tune the computer says is the best fit for you.

Why I paid $100 for a good used X3 and then went out and got a legit tuner lol.

Old 01-05-2018, 03:43 PM   #66
Staff
Regular
Staff

This is the Bama tune? If so its likely because you aren't dealing with an actual tuner but a CSR paid $12/hr and trained to just give you whatever tune the computer says is the best fit for you.

Why I paid $100 for a good used X3 and then went out and got a legit tuner lol.

edit: It could also be simply because the stock PI cams run out of air around that point. Throw a set of MHS Stage 2 NA cams in with the stock valvesprings and you can rev and make power to 6500. Or get a 4V and rev safely to 7500 lol. Not sure I'll be doing that often...

Old 01-05-2018, 05:36 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

So Zombie was kind enough to send some Files and provide a good data point for the community. If i understood him correctly, he sent me two files that i looked at: 1 WOT log from the first revision, and 1 WOT log from i believe his Final revision.

Revision 1:

Knock from 2500 - 4000: 0*
Knock from 4200 - 4300: 1*
Knock from 4300 - 4800: 1.75*
knock from 4900 - 5300: 1.5*
Knock from 5300 - 6100: 2.4*
Knock from 6100 - 6800: 2.2*
Knock from 6800 - 6900: 1.9*
End of pull. AFR Averaged .83 - .86 depending on the severity of the knock, Intake temps averaged 32* entire pull.

Final Revision:

0 knock through entire pull, and small sections where the computer was actually adding 1* or less of timing below 5100 rpm.

Now, the timing curve was actually reduced from revision 1 as you'll see in the graph I attached, and the AFR was also richened up from ~.83-.86 to more like .82 - .83. Now, those numbers are just from eyeballing it, the actual excel averages are:

Revision 1:

Bank 1: .844
Bank 2: .840

Revision 3:
Bank 1: .83
Bank 2: .83

So without getting TOO much into it, there you have it. I'm trying my best to keep my opinions out of this and just state it how it is. All files have been attached and are unmolested except for me trimming the WOT section.

Now, for full disclosure we have to take into account the quality, and consistency, of the gas with which he filled up to obtain this data. This is not a 100% representation of Bama tunes, but rather an interpretation of what we see here. This is why we are encouraging everyone to datalog and understand your vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zombieslayer timing.PNG
Views:	24
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	249865  
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Revision 1.xlsx (275.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: xlsx Final.xlsx (269.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 01-05-2018, 08:15 PM   #68
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Thanks Volt! The gas in my area is probably slightly below average. Even if I go to San Antonio to fill up (I live outside of the city). So they did pull some timing to accommodate for worst case scenario. I guess all in all, I may be making more power then not having the tune?

Old 01-05-2018, 10:52 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

One would hope haha.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:35 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Well, if anyone can open it, I have a .CSV datalog file.
Posted here, if anyone can review, help me decipher why it lost power over 5700 RPM.
BAMA has not yet responded to the datalog below.

filehosting.org | Download | Walters_12GT_Dyno_Datalog_RaceR1.1.csv

Also, here's the graph showing power loss compared to Performance Tune <5700, and loss compared to stock over 5700 (Dyno Run 2.0 is the Race V2 Tune, revised from data logs sent to BAMA).

As you can see, both did pretty well up to 5700, with decent HP gains, and great TQ gains.

Things that I can see, that I don't understand:

1 - The knock goes up to about 2.5-3 degrees up above 5700. I was using Shell V Power 91 octane, with Lucas Fuel System Treatment. So good quality fuel with a quality additive. Is the air-fuel ratio curve set too lean or rich?
2 - The lambda changes from .85 to .84 right about that time --- maybe my car likes running a little leaner at .85? Would a drop of .01 account for lost power?

Lots of other data points there that I can't interpret.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT