Disappointed with BAMA Tunes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-29-2017, 05:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Disappointed with BAMA Tunes

Bought the Race and Performance v2 tunes.

Both LOST power above 5500 RPMS compared to stock. Yes, lost power and tq. Max power stock was 363 rwhp, after installing performance v2 was 356, and with race v2, was 361. MPG also went down about 2 MPG.

I was asked to Datalog on Tuesday, sent it in, they reviewed and asked for a second datalog. Sent it late Tuesday. As of now, there’s still no response from BAMA, over 48 hrs later. Not even an email update to say “Hey we’re working on it, we’ll keep you updated. You should have your tune by next Tuesday.” Or something along those lines. It’s just plain bad service to leave your customers hanging, their questions unanswered.

So, to recap: SLOW customer service, decreased MPG, and tunes that LOST power. What’s the point of spending your hard earned dough with a company like that. No thanks! I’m done with them.

Ugh.

Grabber Blue ‘14 V6: Premium package, MBRP Pro Catbacks, Air Raid CAI, BAMA tune. (Wife-mobile). FOR SALE, PM ME
KonaGT12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2017, 05:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I’m in the same boat. Going to unload mine on some unsuspecting noob on Facebook.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:04 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
This is the tuner I am using. Dude has my 4V swap running GREAT from half a country away.

WELCOME TO TUNING BY JAMES

I'm using a $100 X3 I got used on ebay, the free SCT Livelink software and the price agreed upon with my tuner (its very reasonable) and I'm on I think my 8th tune revision right now because he is a perfectionist. Obviously also a wideband.

I've had 3 different revisions today for WOT pulls and the guy has my AFR at WOT almost perfect now. Car starts and idles like stock, drivability is great, I'm probably 2 or 3 more datalogs away from perfect.

Cannot recommend this guy enough. He's got about 20 years of experience, came up with SVT during the Terminator project and still has a near 300k mile original Mach1 that was a SVT testbed back in the day still going strong.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2017, 09:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
There is also Steeda, VMP, and several others that get great results.

(Revvv-AKA The 2V King per Recon)
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
was the stock vs tuned done on the same dyno on the same day?
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:13 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
was the stock vs tuned done on the same dyno on the same day?
No, two days apart; however, the temp on the stock run was 51F, 25% humidity, and for the others, was 52F, 21% humidity. They were run on the same dyno.

Grabber Blue ‘14 V6: Premium package, MBRP Pro Catbacks, Air Raid CAI, BAMA tune. (Wife-mobile). FOR SALE, PM ME
Old 12-30-2017, 06:45 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
LOL people are still using Bama tunes? Simply amazing.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:23 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post

??

Old 12-30-2017, 09:32 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
American Muscle is good at marketing. New Mustang owners see their ads before they see Steeda, LMR, Mustangs Unlimited, CJ Pony Parts, Lethal, etc.

American Muscle is also a bit cheaper than most of the other distributors.

So yes, people are still running BAMA tunes.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:54 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Even more amazing is the ppl who act like you insulted their mom when you call them out for running their fisher price... I mean bama tune without a wideband.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:56 AM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaGT12 View Post
??
Bama is bottom of the barrel as far as tunes go. They literally have a database and a $12/hr customer service rep sends you the "closest" tune their system tells them based on the stuff you fill out.

An REAL tune will go off multiple datalogs you send them both running a 1000-4000rpm STEP test while parked and then 1200-redline WOT pulls in 3rd or 4th gear. And adjust accordingly.

You could not PAY me to risk my car to Bama.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:46 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Lund Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
There is also Steeda, VMP, and several others that get great results.

Had 6 Mustangs. I now have a 2016 GT350. I don't see myself getting anything else now. Only mods are a resonator delete, and a GT350R wing. I love the power, and the handling. Prior to that I had a 2015 Performance Pack GT with the MT82 and a lot of mods, a 2012 GT/CS with the 6R80. To me that was a mistake. Only Mustang I ever had with an auto. Before that a 2001 Premuim GT with lots of mods. Before that a 2000 V6 My 1st Mustang mistake. Should have stuck with V8's. Before that a 1965 convertible also with a lot of mods.
C013RA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:03 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Even more amazing is the ppl who act like you insulted their mom when you call them out for running their fisher price... I mean bama tune without a wideband.
Fischer Price. Now that is something that will stick with me.

Old 12-30-2017, 12:04 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by C013RA View Post
Lund Racing
Lund is one that is always mentioned. Steeda... they are canned tunes too unless you actually get one of their tuners on the side (James is one) or take it to their shop in Florida.

Any tune where they just have you fill something out and then send you a tune and are like "ok g2g" you should not give your money.

Old 12-30-2017, 12:12 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
No they have licensed dealers all over the country you can take it too and have tuned. there is a Lund dealer in my area. Dyno and all. Brad's custom auto in the Seattle area. When you get on their site, they have a list of dealerships all over the U.S.

Quote:
Lund is one that is always mentioned. Steeda... they are canned tunes too unless you actually get one of their tuners on the side (James is one) or take it to their shop in Florida.

Any tune where they just have you fill something out and then send you a tune and are like "ok g2g" you should not give your money.
Had 6 Mustangs. I now have a 2016 GT350. I don't see myself getting anything else now. Only mods are a resonator delete, and a GT350R wing. I love the power, and the handling. Prior to that I had a 2015 Performance Pack GT with the MT82 and a lot of mods, a 2012 GT/CS with the 6R80. To me that was a mistake. Only Mustang I ever had with an auto. Before that a 2001 Premuim GT with lots of mods. Before that a 2000 V6 My 1st Mustang mistake. Should have stuck with V8's. Before that a 1965 convertible also with a lot of mods.
C013RA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:36 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ok I'm talking about the "steeda tunes for life".

Old 12-30-2017, 02:00 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok I'm talking about the "steeda tunes for life".
...and even then, they are better than Bama. They will also do a one on one datalog with you.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:03 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

What's a "Wideband" that you guys mention?

Old 12-30-2017, 02:18 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
In short, you are able to have complete air/fuel ratio numbers from intake to exhaust.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:24 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds helpful.
I think I'm just going to leave my GT stock, save the $ for a supercharger.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:17 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
In short, you are able to have complete air/fuel ratio numbers from intake to exhaust.

Quote:
Sounds helpful.
I think I'm just going to leave my GT stock, save the $ for a supercharger.
Not exactly. A "wideband" when talking about tuning is a gauge that measures your air fuel ratio (AFR) based upon a sensor in the exhaust - usually fairly close to the engine after the headers or exhaust manifold. A wideband uses the sensor to give you the exact measurement of the AFR across a broad spectrum of possibilities. With a wideband you know just how rich the car is running or lean it is running at wide open throttle so that the tuner can manage the fuel needs to avoid blowing up the engine.

A narrowband is another gauge for AFR - but it is basically a light show that doesn't tell you anything. All it tells is whether the AFR is rich, lean, or stoich. Doesn't tell you how rich or how lean.

When you add forced induction (supercharger, turbocharger, nitrous) you want to know if you have enough fuel for the extra air being added. If you are too lean, pistons will break from detonation. Too rich and you will be washing down the cylinder walls with raw gas and could score the walls and damage the piston.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:19 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Not exactly. A "wideband" when talking about tuning is a gauge that measures your air fuel ratio (AFR) based upon a sensor in the exhaust - usually fairly close to the engine after the headers or exhaust manifold. A wideband uses the sensor to give you the exact measurement of the AFR across a broad spectrum of possibilities. With a wideband you know just how rich the car is running or lean it is running at wide open throttle so that the tuner can manage the fuel needs to avoid blowing up the engine.

A narrowband is another gauge for AFR - but it is basically a light show that doesn't tell you anything. All it tells is whether the AFR is rich, lean, or stoich. Doesn't tell you how rich or how lean.

When you add forced induction (supercharger, turbocharger, nitrous) you want to know if you have enough fuel for the extra air being added. If you are too lean, pistons will break from detonation. Too rich and you will be washing down the cylinder walls with raw gas and could score the walls and damage the piston.
...and now you have the full description that I was too lazy to type.

Old 12-30-2017, 04:10 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Impressed with my Vmp tunes what I was impressed with was that they send you one tune and you have to data log so they make sure the tune is right before they send the other two ..Just a peace of mind knowing they are spot on and safe
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:44 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

AFIAK the 11+ cars all have factory widebands that can be monitored with various tuning devices. In 10-down cars you need to do an aftermarket one and then bug the analog output into a firewire or supplied cable so the tuning device can read the actual wideband signal in realtime. This is how mine works. My exhaust has an extra sensor in it, goes to a gauge, the gauge reads the AFR so I can see it but I also bugged the analog output into a firewire which comes out of my glovebox. When I do a datalog I have a laptop in the pass seat, the SCT plugged into the OBD2 port and the laptop AND the firewire all at the same time. Livelink SCT software records everything in a rapid rate logfile that I can save and send out to my tuner to be analyzed and tweaked. You can get a tune dead to rights this way without ever going to a dyno. Actually its more accurate because its real road conditions vs a controlled shop.

Old 12-30-2017, 04:45 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

It's s pain, but worth it when tuning.

Old 12-30-2017, 04:55 PM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

Eh... not really a pain IMO. Just wiring. Pull the radio, but all that stuff into the radio, ohm out a firewire and wire the correct pin to analog1 and call it good.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:00 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I hate FireWire. Lol

Old 12-30-2017, 06:34 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Yep That sounds like the BAMA I know
WAR HORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:06 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Disappointed with BAMA Tunes

Care to explain, war horse?

Other issues I’ve noticed are that my speedometer is off by 10-12 MPH, doesn’t idle at 700-800 like factory (idles about 1000), and there is a STRONG fuel/unburnt hydrocarbon smell so I think it’s probably running too rich.

It’s a ****ing disaster.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:21 PM   #30

BAMA

Funny, I have had nothing but a good experience with the way my BAMA tunes have performed. As for customer service it’s certianly not fast or top notch and needs improvement. Yet, as all the haters rightfully point out BAMA is a bargain one size fits all product, but for some reason people seem to be expecting a premium experience from a bargain product. So I ask them, would you go into a Wal Mart and expect top notch customer service with a pampered experience?

My 1999 GT which I have owned since new has ran great on a BAMA 93 race tune for years. My gas milage is fantastic at 21 MPG doing mostly city/suburban driving and some highway. When I first got it I already had a CAI and after uploading I immediately noticed what had to be a significant increase in torque because my car went from mildly spinning my tires to smoking them like bloody hell even when walking it off the line under WOT. I now smoked them through 1st and going well into 2nd even when doing a rolling start. It used to require taching it up and dumping, or slipping the clutch out to do anything like this. As I have souped the car up, each time I got new program within a half day to a day (during the week.) Currently, I have nearly every bolt imaginable including quality long tube internally and externally coated SLP headers with thier high flow catted x.

I have never had it dynoed, nor has it been to the track, but it runs amazing. As proof, I have no problem running a car or so behind my friends stock 2012 GT and easily taking another's stock 2017 WRX. This is certianly something to be happy with from a 19 year old car this February that has 90’s tech on a 140k motor with the original oil pan and valve cover gaskets on it. Of course when you go big anyone even suggesting using a canned tune is nuts. So when I get the heads done and a cam with valve train uprade this summer it will get a proper dyno tune by one of the Mustang shops in my area.
electroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:23 PM   #31
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by electroman View Post
Funny, I have had nothing but a good experience with the way my BAMA tunes have performed. As for customer service it’s certianly not fast or top notch and needs improvement. Yet, as all the haters rightfully point out BAMA is a bargain one size fits all product, but for some reason people seem to be expecting a premium experience from a bargain product. So I ask them, would you go into a Wal Mart and expect top notch customer service with a pampered experience?

My 1999 GT which I have owned since new has ran great on a BAMA 93 race tune for years. My gas milage is fantastic at 21 MPG doing mostly city/suburban driving and some highway. When I first got it I already had a CAI and after uploading I immediately noticed what had to be a significant increase in torque because my car went from mildly spinning my tires to smoking them like bloody hell even when walking it off the line under WOT. I now smoked them through 1st and going well into 2nd even when doing a rolling start. It used to require taching it up and dumping, or slipping the clutch out to do anything like this. As I have souped the car up, each time I got new program within a half day to a day (during the week.) Currently, I have nearly every bolt imaginable including quality long tube internally and externally coated SLP headers with thier high flow catted x.

I have never had it dynoed, nor has it been to the track, but it runs amazing. As proof, I have no problem running a car or so behind my friends stock 2012 GT and easily taking another's stock 2017 WRX. This is certianly something to be happy with from a 19 year old car this February that has 90’s tech on a 140k motor with the original oil pan and valve cover gaskets on it. Of course when you go big anyone even suggesting using a canned tune is nuts. So when I get the heads done and a cam with valve train uprade this summer it will get a proper dyno tune by one of the Mustang shops in my area.
What is your air fuel at when you are at WOT to redline?

Old 12-30-2017, 09:35 PM   #32

I have no idea and never thought of getting a wideband because my car runs like butter from idle to about 5800 when I shift and anytime I have pulled the plugs all was well. From day one when I uploaded the original tune it honestly seemed to run better than it did stock. A little off topic but the SLP long tube headers with xpipe was were def the best upgrade I have made and it really smoothed it out at idle, while making it sound beast mode above 4k.

This summer I will likely put a wideband on it before I do the heads and cams, then post back. Hopfully money permits and I will get the rear built up for stickies and drop some 3.73’s in as well. I have big plans
electroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:46 AM   #33
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you don't know what your AFR is then you probably shouldn't be talking about how great the tune is... Because you have no idea if the tune is even safe.

Running a tune without a wideband is also not a great idea... its actually a very bad one.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:12 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by electroman View Post
Funny, I have had nothing but a good experience with the way my BAMA tunes have performed. As for customer service it’s certianly not fast or top notch and needs improvement. 1. Yet, as all the haters rightfully point out BAMA is a bargain one size fits all product, but for some reason people seem to be expecting a premium experience from a bargain product. So I ask them, would you go into a Wal Mart and expect top notch customer service with a pampered experience?

2. My 1999 GT which I have owned since new has ran great on a BAMA 93 race tune for years. My gas milage is fantastic at 21 MPG doing mostly city/suburban driving and some highway. When I first got it I already had a CAI and after uploading I immediately noticed what had to be a significant increase in torque because my car went from mildly spinning my tires to smoking them like bloody hell even when walking it off the line under WOT. I now smoked them through 1st and going well into 2nd even when doing a rolling start. It used to require taching it up and dumping, or slipping the clutch out to do anything like this. As I have souped the car up, each time I got new program within a half day to a day (during the week.) Currently, I have nearly every bolt imaginable including quality long tube internally and externally coated SLP headers with thier high flow catted x.

I have never had it dynoed, nor has it been to the track, but it runs amazing. 3. As proof, I have no problem running a car or so behind my friends stock 2012 GT and easily taking another's stock 2017 WRX. This is certianly something to be happy with from a 19 year old car this February that has 90’s tech on a 140k motor with the original oil pan and valve cover gaskets on it. Of course when you go big anyone even suggesting using a canned tune is nuts. So when I get the heads done and a cam with valve train uprade this summer it will get a proper dyno tune by one of the Mustang shops in my area.
1. They're charging near as makes no different to other places and not offering the same quality. I had AED Tunes and BAMA tunes and there is literally no comparison in terms of customer service, tune quality, driveability, power production... The AED Tune and customer service was superior in every single way.

2. This is not a personal stab at you, so dont take it as such, but i personally hate blanket statements. "My car ran great..." Compared to what? If you have no other tunes to compare it to, then i'm sorry, you're really not qualified to make that statement. Or, i should say that if you're happy it's totally fine, but you're not qualified to sell it to other people as "advice."

3. My wife's gear and tune 3.7 stomps 2v and 3vs at the 1/4, so you're telling me shes got to be about even or even ahead of a stock '12 5.0 if i put a Bama tune on her car? Good to know.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:33 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
My BAMA tunes are a couple years old and are stronger than stock (SOP DYNO) and I have no complaints......idles well......great throttle response.....shifts and runs great to 7K RPM's!!

Maybe they have slacked off lately??
Coosawjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT