3.31 or 3.73 '13 AT - Want to learn not debate! - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-02-2018, 07:55 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
This is how I simplify things a little here. What's being confused is outright performance and daily driving. DD is all part throttle, usually low rpm operation so, a steep gear out back will feel and likely be quicker under those circumstances. The tables turn when you go wide open and the steep gear instantly overwhelms the ability of the tires to convert all that leverage into forward motion. My stock auto/gear 14 will pretty much holeshot any stick Mustang on the road, as that car fights driveline shock, traction and wheel hops its way forward. My old stick 12 was tricky to launch at any rpm, even with suspension mods. The auto's tight torque converter becomes a liability at the dragstrip, in high traction conditions, as the TC won't let the car launch higher than 1800 footbraking and there is nothing going on at that rpm. While all that sorts itself out, the 60 foot time is passing.

I've had both types of stick axle Mustang and I love them both but, they are very different in operation. All round, the auto is the better car. It does being a car way better than the stick and doesn't require immediate suspension surgery to be competent. The stick is best for twisty road fun and for the directness of it's connection to the engine and the driving experience.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2018, 08:07 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

I'll just add that I drove a 2018 10 speed auto around a road course last week and it is pretty amazing. Unlike most autos, including the 6R80, when left alone in sport mode, it seems to always be in the right gear for spirited motoring around turns. If I was seriously looking at the new car, absolutely no way I'd go stick.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 01-02-2018, 09:26 AM   #38
AXG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
At risk of reopening all the wounds of this thread lol, I have to ask am I driving it incorrectly? Do I have wrong expectations? Or is this car either a slug or rocket w/ nothing in between depending on where the pedal is? As I said before, I'm still a newbie w/everything about this car.

When the car was stock, and even after the CAI/tune (before the gearing) my car either felt like it was often bogging it's way up through each gear like it was shifting up way too early, or screaming wide open throttle after giving it more pedal to get it to downshift...that's the best way I can describe it. Didn't matter if it was in sport or drive and it still feels this way a bit now even w/the 3.73 but not nearly as bad. It doesn't feel responsive unless I'm running it wide open.

So can you help me understand my experience here?

13 GT Prem, non-Brembo. Steeda CAI, Steeda Sport Springs, Steeda PH Bar, Steeda ProAction Shocks/Struts, Steeda Tune, 3.73 gear, BBK Xpipe, Roush Axlebacks.
AXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2018, 10:22 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Electric throttle is part of it, my friend. There is always a bit of a disconnection between the throttle and the engine. You can tune around it but, it'll never be direct like a cable.

Of course, the auto is going to continue to upshift early under light throttle applications, same as you'd do with a a stick. It tries to be as efficient as it can be but feels a little sluggish when it does that. Take over manual control via the buttons and raise the shift points and you'll see it get sprightly again...or just open the gas further for a similar effect.

To be realistic, no juicebox is ever going to feels as connected as a manual's mechanical connection.

I perked up the auto's performance with an n/a tune from VMP. I do still wish it shifted a little harder/faster at wide open but, for a canned tune, it is pretty good.

Old 01-02-2018, 03:01 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXG View Post
At risk of reopening all the wounds of this thread lol, I have to ask am I driving it incorrectly? Do I have wrong expectations?
Thumbs up to 5LHO's last two posts! Daily drive is so different from a dozen seconds of glory. And manual control takes care of many of your situations, right?

Why not drive the auto as a manual? Of course then you'll wish you had paddle shifters and start dreaming about '18's and ten gears....
Roush splitter, GT500 quad exhaust and cosmetic crap.
Positive attitude and sunny disposition.
UUUd444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:25 PM   #41
AXG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Thanks guys... .yeah, whenever I start playing around with those shifter buttons, it's not a paddle shifter I want, but a clutch. I probably just need to practice more w/it... I forget I'm in manual shift mode.

13 GT Prem, non-Brembo. Steeda CAI, Steeda Sport Springs, Steeda PH Bar, Steeda ProAction Shocks/Struts, Steeda Tune, 3.73 gear, BBK Xpipe, Roush Axlebacks.
AXG is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT