Tuner/Speedo Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-04-2018, 07:44 PM   #1

Region: Arkansas
Tuner/Speedo Question

I saw another post and it got me thinking about what to do about my situation. I bought the car and I'm almost positive it has a tune but I have no tuner and no way to get ahold of the PO to ask him what it has. Car either has a catted X pipe of no cats but doesn't throw codes so pretty sure the rear O2 are turned off. If I buy a new tuner, will it overwrite the existing code or will it cause issues and would it be able to return the car to stock tune. I'm very interested ina tuner because the speedo on this car reads high and I'm hoping to correct that with the tuner.....and speaking of that, if the car was re geared would it make the speedo read high.... It's almost 10mph off at 75mph...is there any other way to correct the speedo error?
detrailers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2018, 07:12 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If there was a tune already on there the speedo should be fixed already... also, can you try to explain: "Car either has a catted X pipe of no cats." Did you mean to say the car either has a catted X-pipe OR no cats? It should be pretty obvious, can you post a pic of the exhaust?
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
If there was a tune already on there the speedo should be fixed already... also, can you try to explain: "Car either has a catted X pipe of no cats." Did you mean to say the car either has a catted X-pipe OR no cats? It should be pretty obvious, can you post a pic of the exhaust?
Sorry catted X pipe OR no cats... speedo is definitely not fixed as mentioned in my post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2018, 08:17 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I figured that's what you meant. Yeah, if it has cats or not should be really obvious, not sure if you have a means of jacking the car up or getting us a picture. If the speedo is off i would bet there is no tune on the car, because who in their right mind would get the car tuned and not fix the speedo.

I'm aware we're getting off topic from your original post, but i think trying to determine the status of the car should be step 1.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
I figured that's what you meant. Yeah, if it has cats or not should be really obvious, not sure if you have a means of jacking the car up or getting us a picture. If the speedo is off i would bet there is no tune on the car, because who in their right mind would get the car tuned and not fix the speedo.

I'm aware we're getting off topic from your original post, but i think trying to determine the status of the car should be step 1.
Thanks.... I'll get a pic asap and post it here
Old 01-05-2018, 08:15 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If a dealer sold the car to you and it doesn't have cats they HAVE to fix it by law. Unless you don't want them to. If you feel you just don't want to deal with the car I'm pretty sure you can force them to buy it back if they sold you an emissions modified vehicle at all...

I dunno man I would be very wary of this vehicle if you think you have an unknown tune on it. First thing I would do is get ahold of a legit tuner (not Bama) and get your own tune written, load it, get some logs, make sure everything is running correctly and then go from there. Otherwise you are flying blind and have no idea if someone who knew what they were doing or some idiot tuned the car.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:52 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
How about some details on the car? Like the year to start? I know this is the 2011-2014 section but guys post in the wrong section all the time.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
If a dealer sold the car to you and it doesn't have cats they HAVE to fix it by law. Unless you don't want them to. If you feel you just don't want to deal with the car I'm pretty sure you can force them to buy it back if they sold you an emissions modified vehicle at all...

I dunno man I would be very wary of this vehicle if you think you have an unknown tune on it. First thing I would do is get ahold of a legit tuner (not Bama) and get your own tune written, load it, get some logs, make sure everything is running correctly and then go from there. Otherwise you are flying blind and have no idea if someone who knew what they were doing or some idiot tuned the car.
Good info... I keep reading not so great things about the Bama... What are some other good tuners for my 13?
Old 01-06-2018, 09:57 AM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Lund, AED, VMP, Tuning by James... to name a few.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT