Mustang Evolution Forum banner

GT 2011 Convertible vs Camaro SS L99

4K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  KNIGHT4000 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone, a few months ago I sold my stock Automatic 2006 GT and am working 2 jobs currently to buy a V8 in the price range of $20000 CAD($16000 US). I have to buy an Automatic to make it accessible to family members in case they have to borrow it, so 2 cars that seem in my price range are a 2011 GT Convertible Automatic and a SS Camaro L99 Coupe Automatic. Personally I would prefer a 11-14 Gt Coupe but where I live they are $3000-$5000 more expensive. I know its a Mustang forum, but since I like all kinds of performance cars I probably won't be the only one who could appreciate both brands.

From what I researched I'm aware that the L99 is heavier and has less horsepower, but it is a coupe in my price range and I do like the paddle shifters. HUD and styling since its in black. And I read that the low end Torque can be felt more with the larger displacement. The 11 GT is a Candy Red convertible. Unfortunately there isn't much about performance for me to read about 5.0 Verts. So I was wondering how it would compare with the L99? If its only a bit faster, is it worth getting a convertible with risk of getting leaks and buying a roll bar? Also all the local dealerships in my Province are flooded with 5.0 Verts, so I'm suspicious if there is something wrong with them.
I should mention I would eventually buy bolt ons on either one as well.
I appreciate any feedback. :thumb:

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, the first thing I would say is that of COURSE a convertible of the same year and miles is more expensive.
What is the winter weather like where you live? A convertible is noticeably more noisy on the highway, and convertible tops can be challenged by really cold weather. Convertibles are also MUCH more flexible frame-wise if your roads are bad or get frost heaved or icy-bumpy.
You can easily google 0 to 60 times for the engine, transmission and years of any cars you may be considering.
I think it comes down to this —- if you want a convertible, get one, but go into the purchase with your eyes wide open as to their possible differences and limitations.

#4 · (Edited)
Personally I would prefer a 11-14 Gt Coupe but where I live they are $3000-$5000 more expensive. Also all the local dealerships in my Province are flooded with 5.0 Verts, :thumb:
Well, the first thing I would say is that of COURSE a convertible of the same year and miles is more expensive.
What is the winter weather like where you live?
I think there is a misunderstanding on the convertible price somewhere.

BC is the California of Canada, where the weather is always balmy and reefer is almost mandatory, right? If there are so many convertibles around that you can get a low mileage, excellent condition one for $20,000 (preferably a '14 in gray) you can't go far wrong.

Unless you are in the snowy part of BC. Mustangs really should never be driven in the snow. It's just not one of their strengths. And they should NEVER be lent to a family member in the snow.

Good luck and all the best. :thumb:

PS If you have not done it yet, test drive the camaro. If it is in the same year range noted earlier you may find the visibility to be especially difficult. (As noted by Consumer Reports at the time). Especially for shorter family members that you loan it out to. I looked into Camaros at one time but my wife was not able to see enough in mirrors, etc. to feel safe.

#5 · (Edited)
People don't seem to keep verts in BC...wonder why? Look outside today. I expect they are lease returns and rentals for the most part. Keep looking for a good coupe. I've had two, a 2012 manual and a 14. The 14 is an auto and if you're going that way, go 13+ to get select-shift.

The L99 is still a good platform for performance. as with any LS engine, it needs a cam to really wake up. Stock it'll have snappy low end, which is enjoyable.

If you're heart says coupe (which it should here), save up a bit more $ and get one loaded the way you want. It can be a little challenging to find coupes with the option load the verts get. I wanted a fully loaded car in a colour I could stand and, as soon as I found one, I jumped on it. I paid 35K for a very lightly used near 50K retail 14, just after the 15s came out. I actually wanted another stick axle car and Ford's new model intro glued the 14s to the floor. These are typical outrageous BC prices, of course.

#6 ·
Whatever you do, make sure that any convertible you are looking at on a used car lot is NOT a rental car bought at auction.
Several used cars here were previously rentals, and we ended up buying new.
Just imagine how someone would beat on a 5.0 rental. My son bought a used/previously rental Ford Explorer and has had good luck with it, but a performance car? No WAY!

#7 ·
My '14 is an ex-rental. The car is the quietest, tightest MGT I have ever seen. It was barely rented because these cars a super-expensive to rent and thus, not chosen much by anyone. Very low ks at new and everything works and there isn't a mark on anything.

You've got to be smart and know your product but, there is no reason to shy away if you know what you are doing.

#8 ·
Thank you everyone for he feedback. Yes, I do prefer Coupes much more than convertibles. The only reason why I'm considering the 11GT Convertible is that its $5000 cheaper than the next cheapest Coupe right now within my Province at any Dealership. (So it would give me a lot of wiggle room for mods.) And yes, where I live it snows only 2 days in the year, so its mainly just rains 8 months of the year. ...Maybe I just wait till spring when private sellers put out their adds again. Right now everything is quite deserted in BC.

Alternatively with an L99 I would be planning on LTs, Intake and Catback with a tune to turn of the Cilinder deactivation. That would put it somewhere around the 370ish rwhp area. However that would be in the stock 5.0 numbers. Yeah, its probably better to just save up 3-6 months more for a 13-14GT Coupe Auto.

#9 ·
Get a 13-14 GT Coupe. Love mine. If you can find a GT500 in your price range take a serious look at them.

#10 ·
There's a reason why the ZO6, ZL1, GT350R of modern day and the late 60's, etc are only offered in hard top. Stiffer frame = less flex = improved handling.

#11 ·
#14 ·
That is quite tempting. I'm not quite sure what import taxes would be like to Canada, but I think its steep. Plus there is another additional provincial fee on checking that everything is up to B.C specs. Its one of those reasons why I'm not considering going quick down the border and buy a GT in Seattle. The US definitely has more options on the market than up here.

KonaGT12 There's a reason why the ZO6, ZL1, GT350R of modern day and the late 60's, etc are only offered in hard top. Stiffer frame = less flex = improved handling.
That is to bad about the flex. I tried to see some 0-60 Coyote Convertible videos on Youtube, but unfortunately there aren't any. Other than handling, would acceleration suffer a lot as well? On the 11-14 the Verts don't seem that much heavier than the coups on paper. I admit I'm still considering the Vert somewhat in the back of my head, since it is $5000 cheaper than the next available Coupe. 5K would already be the Long Tube Headers, X-Pipe, Catback, Tuner and Rollbars with some nice rims. But then again, if performance is much worse stock... .

#12 ·
Sit in both cars if you haven't yet.
My wife was sure she wanted a Camaro convertible until we took one for a test ride. I couldn't see the traffic light unless I almost kissed the steering wheel and I couldn't see well around the car either.
The Mustang fit me like a glove. Better vision all the way around.
One of the few times I won the decision. Lol

#16 ·
It's a supply and demand thing in BC. Lots of rental and lease return converts and not much demand, because it rains slot here.

Vert performance is down significantly from the coupe, equivalent option loads it's heavier and less solid structurally. That affects turn and burn and straight line.

It's a cruiser, plain and simple.

#17 ·
Get the Mustang. Get what you can afford. Verts are a lot of fun if your weather isn't insane. And its good you are getting the auto. They are actually faster and have pretty much 0 issues vs the MT82 stick shift transmissions. Do not get gears for it, leave the stock 3.15s in there.

#22 · (Edited)
Interestingly, looks like fate has made the decision for me. The GT Convertible got sold and the owner of the L99 doesn't want to budge at all with his asking price. $20000CAN/$16000US for a stock 325RWHP SS is just to much(especially since I have to pay the additional 12% taxes as well.)And I would have to put bolt ons on it to make it move. To explore all options, I went to a Chevy dealer yesterday to sit in an SS of the same generation just to see how the seating feels. I actually like the smaller window and snug feel, but its to bad the stock performance is sub-par compared to a 5.0 GT.

Having said that, I talked also to a ford dealer who sells an automatic 2013 GT coupe, so that one will be my current aim now. When I have the money ready in a couple of months and its still available, they might meet me at $22000CAD/$17672US ($25000CAD/$20080US Total including Tax+documentation fee).

#23 ·
The auto S197 is really quite good. I highly recommend it. I have had both and the stick car needs immediate intervention in suspension and shifter mods and mine grenaded with a few months of new off the showroom floor, no provocation. Ford fixed it ultimately but...

My 14 auto is a better car all round and will generally holeshot any stick version in road conditions. Plus, it's quieter and more composed than the stick, with a slight price of being a little less direct and violent, if that's what you're into.

The price you've got there is pretty good. I'd paid a lot more than that out west here but, it was 2015 and the car was barely a year old at that time.

#24 ·
Mustang is one of those cars where the MT82 kind of makes the choice for you IMO. Flinging a stick shift around curvy roads and corners is nice but the limp noodle factory shifter/trans mount and chinese built transmission=yeah... Sucks because the ratios are really good for that engine. The 6R80 ratios are way better tho and the new 10 speed looks like its really going to make it a complete no brainer for anyone wanting to go fast at the track.

TBTH, for handling I'd probably look into the Camaro with the T-56 before the Mustang with the MT82...

#25 ·
The S197 does need help in the handling dept. if that is your bag but, parts are plentiful and relatively cheap to make it into anything you want. That's one of the great virtues of the Mustang. Both of mine are BBP cars and the basic setup is ok for a road-going GT car. Could the springs be a little stiffer, the damping a little stronger and the axle control a little better? Yes, definitely but, the ride is pretty good as is and, as I said, shortcomings are easily rectified. I put $25 worth of urethane bushes into the panhard bar, changed the rear control arms to poly and I'll deal with the damping issues when the shocks/struts tucker out. I can live with it as is and it makes a superb road trip and DD car.

#27 ·
Hi everyone. I found a 2014 Mustang GT coupe in the right price range. California special. It doesn't really have a glass roof like I originally wanted(I know its somewhat superficial, but its nice to have bright lighting. ) However one issue is that it has relatively high milage of 72500 miles. Which is a lot for 4 years. Now I'm usually used to older cars showing signs of wear and tear after 50000 miles. How does the Coyote engine perform once the mileage goes towards the 100000 mile line? And would there be any electronics issues that might be coming up around that 75k mark? I appreciate any experience and feedback. :thumb:

#28 ·
Just a quick update to bring this thread to a close, I bought a 2013 GT California special Auto with low miles and glass roof from a private seller for much below the dealership going rate. Carproof shows no accidents and very well taken care of. The wait, multiple jobs and saving up was definitely worth it. :cool:

#29 ·
you got the best of both worlds! Coupe, without the wind blown hair. Love the glasstop! Really opens up the car interior. Congrats on your new ride. Post a few pictures. Love to see it!

#30 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.