GT 2011 Convertible vs Camaro SS L99 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-06-2018, 01:36 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
GT 2011 Convertible vs Camaro SS L99

Hi Everyone, a few months ago I sold my stock Automatic 2006 GT and am working 2 jobs currently to buy a V8 in the price range of $20000 CAD($16000 US). I have to buy an Automatic to make it accessible to family members in case they have to borrow it, so 2 cars that seem in my price range are a 2011 GT Convertible Automatic and a SS Camaro L99 Coupe Automatic. Personally I would prefer a 11-14 Gt Coupe but where I live they are $3000-$5000 more expensive. I know its a Mustang forum, but since I like all kinds of performance cars I probably won't be the only one who could appreciate both brands.

From what I researched I'm aware that the L99 is heavier and has less horsepower, but it is a coupe in my price range and I do like the paddle shifters. HUD and styling since its in black. And I read that the low end Torque can be felt more with the larger displacement. The 11 GT is a Candy Red convertible. Unfortunately there isn't much about performance for me to read about 5.0 Verts. So I was wondering how it would compare with the L99? If its only a bit faster, is it worth getting a convertible with risk of getting leaks and buying a roll bar? Also all the local dealerships in my Province are flooded with 5.0 Verts, so I'm suspicious if there is something wrong with them.
I should mention I would eventually buy bolt ons on either one as well.
I appreciate any feedback.
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2018, 08:56 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Well, the first thing I would say is that of COURSE a convertible of the same year and miles is more expensive.
What is the winter weather like where you live? A convertible is noticeably more noisy on the highway, and convertible tops can be challenged by really cold weather. Convertibles are also MUCH more flexible frame-wise if your roads are bad or get frost heaved or icy-bumpy.
You can easily google 0 to 60 times for the engine, transmission and years of any cars you may be considering.
I think it comes down to this —- if you want a convertible, get one, but go into the purchase with your eyes wide open as to their possible differences and limitations.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:21 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The L99 is a turd, the 5.0 is light years faster. If you would like a Gen 5 camaro it needs the LS3.

If you really want a convertible do what i did, you buy a nice GT coupe, and a $3000 miata lol.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2018, 10:35 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNIGHT4000 View Post
Personally I would prefer a 11-14 Gt Coupe but where I live they are $3000-$5000 more expensive. Also all the local dealerships in my Province are flooded with 5.0 Verts,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
Well, the first thing I would say is that of COURSE a convertible of the same year and miles is more expensive.
What is the winter weather like where you live?
I think there is a misunderstanding on the convertible price somewhere.

BC is the California of Canada, where the weather is always balmy and reefer is almost mandatory, right? If there are so many convertibles around that you can get a low mileage, excellent condition one for $20,000 (preferably a '14 in gray) you can't go far wrong.

Unless you are in the snowy part of BC. Mustangs really should never be driven in the snow. It's just not one of their strengths. And they should NEVER be lent to a family member in the snow.

Good luck and all the best.

PS If you have not done it yet, test drive the camaro. If it is in the same year range noted earlier you may find the visibility to be especially difficult. (As noted by Consumer Reports at the time). Especially for shorter family members that you loan it out to. I looked into Camaros at one time but my wife was not able to see enough in mirrors, etc. to feel safe.
Roush splitter, GT500 quad exhaust and cosmetic crap.
Positive attitude and sunny disposition.
UUUd444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:40 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

People don't seem to keep verts in BC...wonder why? Look outside today. I expect they are lease returns and rentals for the most part. Keep looking for a good coupe. I've had two, a 2012 manual and a 14. The 14 is an auto and if you're going that way, go 13+ to get select-shift.

The L99 is still a good platform for performance. as with any LS engine, it needs a cam to really wake up. Stock it'll have snappy low end, which is enjoyable.

If you're heart says coupe (which it should here), save up a bit more $ and get one loaded the way you want. It can be a little challenging to find coupes with the option load the verts get. I wanted a fully loaded car in a colour I could stand and, as soon as I found one, I jumped on it. I paid 35K for a very lightly used near 50K retail 14, just after the 15s came out. I actually wanted another stick axle car and Ford's new model intro glued the 14s to the floor. These are typical outrageous BC prices, of course.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:03 AM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Whatever you do, make sure that any convertible you are looking at on a used car lot is NOT a rental car bought at auction.
Several used cars here were previously rentals, and we ended up buying new.
Just imagine how someone would beat on a 5.0 rental. My son bought a used/previously rental Ford Explorer and has had good luck with it, but a performance car? No WAY!
Old 01-06-2018, 12:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

My '14 is an ex-rental. The car is the quietest, tightest MGT I have ever seen. It was barely rented because these cars a super-expensive to rent and thus, not chosen much by anyone. Very low ks at new and everything works and there isn't a mark on anything.

You've got to be smart and know your product but, there is no reason to shy away if you know what you are doing.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 01-06-2018, 01:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you everyone for he feedback. Yes, I do prefer Coupes much more than convertibles. The only reason why I'm considering the 11GT Convertible is that its $5000 cheaper than the next cheapest Coupe right now within my Province at any Dealership. (So it would give me a lot of wiggle room for mods.) And yes, where I live it snows only 2 days in the year, so its mainly just rains 8 months of the year. ...Maybe I just wait till spring when private sellers put out their adds again. Right now everything is quite deserted in BC.

Alternatively with an L99 I would be planning on LTs, Intake and Catback with a tune to turn of the Cilinder deactivation. That would put it somewhere around the 370ish rwhp area. However that would be in the stock 5.0 numbers. Yeah, its probably better to just save up 3-6 months more for a 13-14GT Coupe Auto.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho
Get a 13-14 GT Coupe. Love mine. If you can find a GT500 in your price range take a serious look at them.
/ Moroso Oil Separator / GT Track Key Tune / Boss Quad Exhaust / QTP Wireless Cutouts / Diode Dynamics Sequencer / GT500 Rear Rotor Upgrade / CDC Dead Pedal / STO N SHO License Braket

............................. ..............................
shaneyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:11 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
There's a reason why the ZO6, ZL1, GT350R of modern day and the late 60's, etc are only offered in hard top. Stiffer frame = less flex = improved handling.

Grabber Blue ‘14 V6: Premium package, MBRP Pro Catbacks, Air Raid CAI, BAMA tune. (Wife-mobile).
KonaGT12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:53 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNIGHT4000 View Post
Hi Everyone, a few months ago I sold my stock Automatic 2006 GT and am working 2 jobs currently to buy a V8 in the price range of $20000 CAD($16000 US). I have to buy an Automatic to make it accessible to family members in case they have to borrow it, so 2 cars that seem in my price range are a 2011 GT Convertible Automatic and a SS Camaro L99 Coupe Automatic. Personally I would prefer a 11-14 Gt Coupe but where I live they are $3000-$5000 more expensive. I know its a Mustang forum, but since I like all kinds of performance cars I probably won't be the only one who could appreciate both brands.

From what I researched I'm aware that the L99 is heavier and has less horsepower, but it is a coupe in my price range and I do like the paddle shifters. HUD and styling since its in black. And I read that the low end Torque can be felt more with the larger displacement. The 11 GT is a Candy Red convertible. Unfortunately there isn't much about performance for me to read about 5.0 Verts. So I was wondering how it would compare with the L99? If its only a bit faster, is it worth getting a convertible with risk of getting leaks and buying a roll bar? Also all the local dealerships in my Province are flooded with 5.0 Verts, so I'm suspicious if there is something wrong with them.
I should mention I would eventually buy bolt ons on either one as well.
I appreciate any feedback.
Spend a few grand more and buy this guys car:

https://www.svtperformance.com/forum...h-tvs.1149513/
One year color, low miles and the cheapest low mile supercharged Coyote Mustang I have ever seen.
605 RWHP on a safe tune
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:46 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Sit in both cars if you haven't yet.
My wife was sure she wanted a Camaro convertible until we took one for a test ride. I couldn't see the traffic light unless I almost kissed the steering wheel and I couldn't see well around the car either.
The Mustang fit me like a glove. Better vision all the way around.
One of the few times I won the decision. Lol
Pa Pap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:34 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Pap View Post
Sit in both cars if you haven't yet.
My wife was sure she wanted a Camaro convertible until we took one for a test ride. I couldn't see the traffic light unless I almost kissed the steering wheel and I couldn't see well around the car either.
The Mustang fit me like a glove. Better vision all the way around.
One of the few times I won the decision. Lol
It really is too bad that the Camaro looks like such a cartoon car, and that the ergonomics are so incredibly claustrophobic. We rented a Camaro once to go sight seeing on a trip out of town and I swore never again.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:31 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott9050 View Post
Spend a few grand more and buy this guys car:

https://www.svtperformance.com/forum...h-tvs.1149513/
One year color, low miles and the cheapest low mile supercharged Coyote Mustang I have ever seen.
That is quite tempting. I'm not quite sure what import taxes would be like to Canada, but I think its steep. Plus there is another additional provincial fee on checking that everything is up to B.C specs. Its one of those reasons why I'm not considering going quick down the border and buy a GT in Seattle. The US definitely has more options on the market than up here.

Quote:
KonaGT12 There's a reason why the ZO6, ZL1, GT350R of modern day and the late 60's, etc are only offered in hard top. Stiffer frame = less flex = improved handling.
That is to bad about the flex. I tried to see some 0-60 Coyote Convertible videos on Youtube, but unfortunately there aren't any. Other than handling, would acceleration suffer a lot as well? On the 11-14 the Verts don't seem that much heavier than the coups on paper. I admit I'm still considering the Vert somewhat in the back of my head, since it is $5000 cheaper than the next available Coupe. 5K would already be the Long Tube Headers, X-Pipe, Catback, Tuner and Rollbars with some nice rims. But then again, if performance is much worse stock... .
Old 01-10-2018, 07:04 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Convertibles are more expensive to begin with, so i'm wondering why the convertibles you're seeing are now so much cheaper than the coupes... unless it's just a supply and demand thing, and not a "quality" of the used vehicle thing.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:53 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

It's a supply and demand thing in BC. Lots of rental and lease return converts and not much demand, because it rains slot here.

Vert performance is down significantly from the coupe, equivalent option loads it's heavier and less solid structurally. That affects turn and burn and straight line.

It's a cruiser, plain and simple.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:51 AM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Get the Mustang. Get what you can afford. Verts are a lot of fun if your weather isn't insane. And its good you are getting the auto. They are actually faster and have pretty much 0 issues vs the MT82 stick shift transmissions. Do not get gears for it, leave the stock 3.15s in there.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:36 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
It's a supply and demand thing in BC. Lots of rental and lease return converts and not much demand, because it rains slot here.

Vert performance is down significantly from the coupe, equivalent option loads it's heavier and less solid structurally. That affects turn and burn and straight line.

It's a cruiser, plain and simple.
Not really. My 2013 ex-rental vert did 12.7/112 mph stock with tune. So not bad
NoTop5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:04 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
Whatever you do, make sure that any convertible you are looking at on a used car lot is NOT a rental car bought at auction.
Several used cars here were previously rentals, and we ended up buying new.
Just imagine how someone would beat on a 5.0 rental. My son bought a used/previously rental Ford Explorer and has had good luck with it, but a performance car? No WAY!
I wouldn't worry about it too much. majority of people who rent the mustangs, don't know how to completely turn off the advanced trac (like me a few years back), some rental agency unplug the trac switch, and some give you only the 2nd My Key which limits everything.
NoTop5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:19 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTop5.0 View Post
Not really. My 2013 ex-rental vert did 12.7/112 mph stock with tune. So not bad
Decent, Jimmy!...I did high 11s in a loaded coupe 2012 BBP stick on a tune and low 12s in a coupe auto so, yeah, it's noticeable. The impact of no roof is greater around corners than in a straight line though.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:33 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTop5.0 View Post
I wouldn't worry about it too much. majority of people who rent the mustangs, don't know how to completely turn off the advanced trac (like me a few years back), some rental agency unplug the trac switch, and some give you only the 2nd My Key which limits everything.
All most likely true....but personally? I would not consider a used rental performance car. Although I guess DILYSI break in is also promoted here, so you know the rental is nice and broken in.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT