GT 2011 Convertible vs Camaro SS L99 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-06-2018, 01:36 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: B.C
Region: Canada
Posts: 24
GT 2011 Convertible vs Camaro SS L99

Hi Everyone, a few months ago I sold my stock Automatic 2006 GT and am working 2 jobs currently to buy a V8 in the price range of $20000 CAD($16000 US). I have to buy an Automatic to make it accessible to family members in case they have to borrow it, so 2 cars that seem in my price range are a 2011 GT Convertible Automatic and a SS Camaro L99 Coupe Automatic. Personally I would prefer a 11-14 Gt Coupe but where I live they are $3000-$5000 more expensive. I know its a Mustang forum, but since I like all kinds of performance cars I probably won't be the only one who could appreciate both brands.

From what I researched I'm aware that the L99 is heavier and has less horsepower, but it is a coupe in my price range and I do like the paddle shifters. HUD and styling since its in black. And I read that the low end Torque can be felt more with the larger displacement. The 11 GT is a Candy Red convertible. Unfortunately there isn't much about performance for me to read about 5.0 Verts. So I was wondering how it would compare with the L99? If its only a bit faster, is it worth getting a convertible with risk of getting leaks and buying a roll bar? Also all the local dealerships in my Province are flooded with 5.0 Verts, so I'm suspicious if there is something wrong with them.
I should mention I would eventually buy bolt ons on either one as well.
I appreciate any feedback.
__________________
Owner of: Between Mustangs right now.
KNIGHT4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-06-2018, 08:56 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Spokane
Region: Washington
Posts: 1,639
Well, the first thing I would say is that of COURSE a convertible of the same year and miles is more expensive.
What is the winter weather like where you live? A convertible is noticeably more noisy on the highway, and convertible tops can be challenged by really cold weather. Convertibles are also MUCH more flexible frame-wise if your roads are bad or get frost heaved or icy-bumpy.
You can easily google 0 to 60 times for the engine, transmission and years of any cars you may be considering.
I think it comes down to this —- if you want a convertible, get one, but go into the purchase with your eyes wide open as to their possible differences and limitations.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:21 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,532
The L99 is a turd, the 5.0 is light years faster. If you would like a Gen 5 camaro it needs the LS3.

If you really want a convertible do what i did, you buy a nice GT coupe, and a $3000 miata lol.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-06-2018, 10:35 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Edmonton
Region: Canada
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNIGHT4000 View Post
Personally I would prefer a 11-14 Gt Coupe but where I live they are $3000-$5000 more expensive. Also all the local dealerships in my Province are flooded with 5.0 Verts,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
Well, the first thing I would say is that of COURSE a convertible of the same year and miles is more expensive.
What is the winter weather like where you live?
I think there is a misunderstanding on the convertible price somewhere.

BC is the California of Canada, where the weather is always balmy and reefer is almost mandatory, right? If there are so many convertibles around that you can get a low mileage, excellent condition one for $20,000 (preferably a '14 in gray) you can't go far wrong.

Unless you are in the snowy part of BC. Mustangs really should never be driven in the snow. It's just not one of their strengths. And they should NEVER be lent to a family member in the snow.

Good luck and all the best.

PS If you have not done it yet, test drive the camaro. If it is in the same year range noted earlier you may find the visibility to be especially difficult. (As noted by Consumer Reports at the time). Especially for shorter family members that you loan it out to. I looked into Camaros at one time but my wife was not able to see enough in mirrors, etc. to feel safe.
__________________
2014 GT Sterling Grey Metallic, 401A and the usual stuff.
Steeda Sports, Koni's, BMR LCA's and GT500 mounts.
FRPP Whipple 624 SC kit with JLT oil separator.
Roush splitter, GT500 quad exhaust and cosmetic crap.
Positive attitude and sunny disposition.
UUUd444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:40 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,985
People don't seem to keep verts in BC...wonder why? Look outside today. I expect they are lease returns and rentals for the most part. Keep looking for a good coupe. I've had two, a 2012 manual and a 14. The 14 is an auto and if you're going that way, go 13+ to get select-shift.

The L99 is still a good platform for performance. as with any LS engine, it needs a cam to really wake up. Stock it'll have snappy low end, which is enjoyable.

If you're heart says coupe (which it should here), save up a bit more $ and get one loaded the way you want. It can be a little challenging to find coupes with the option load the verts get. I wanted a fully loaded car in a colour I could stand and, as soon as I found one, I jumped on it. I paid 35K for a very lightly used near 50K retail 14, just after the 15s came out. I actually wanted another stick axle car and Ford's new model intro glued the 14s to the floor. These are typical outrageous BC prices, of course.
__________________
2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto N/A tune. 100 shot nitrous on BBR tune. Best e/t 11.38 at 120.85

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:03 AM   #6
Registered Member

Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Spokane
Region: Washington
Posts: 1,639
Whatever you do, make sure that any convertible you are looking at on a used car lot is NOT a rental car bought at auction.
Several used cars here were previously rentals, and we ended up buying new.
Just imagine how someone would beat on a 5.0 rental. My son bought a used/previously rental Ford Explorer and has had good luck with it, but a performance car? No WAY!
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,985
My '14 is an ex-rental. The car is the quietest, tightest MGT I have ever seen. It was barely rented because these cars a super-expensive to rent and thus, not chosen much by anyone. Very low ks at new and everything works and there isn't a mark on anything.

You've got to be smart and know your product but, there is no reason to shy away if you know what you are doing.
__________________
2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto N/A tune. 100 shot nitrous on BBR tune. Best e/t 11.38 at 120.85

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: B.C
Region: Canada
Posts: 24
Thank you everyone for he feedback. Yes, I do prefer Coupes much more than convertibles. The only reason why I'm considering the 11GT Convertible is that its $5000 cheaper than the next cheapest Coupe right now within my Province at any Dealership. (So it would give me a lot of wiggle room for mods.) And yes, where I live it snows only 2 days in the year, so its mainly just rains 8 months of the year. ...Maybe I just wait till spring when private sellers put out their adds again. Right now everything is quite deserted in BC.

Alternatively with an L99 I would be planning on LTs, Intake and Catback with a tune to turn of the Cilinder deactivation. That would put it somewhere around the 370ish rwhp area. However that would be in the stock 5.0 numbers. Yeah, its probably better to just save up 3-6 months more for a 13-14GT Coupe Auto.
__________________
Owner of: Between Mustangs right now.
KNIGHT4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
shaneyusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Boise
Region: Idaho
Posts: 209
Get a 13-14 GT Coupe. Love mine. If you can find a GT500 in your price range take a serious look at them.
__________________
2014 SGM GT Premium 6MT, 401A Equip Group, Comfort Package, Glass Top, Track Package, Roush Stage 2.
Ordered 6/28/13 / Built 8/23 / Roush Mods Complete 9/27 / Delivered to Dealer 10/8 / Picked up 10/18/13
My Mods: Tint
/ Moroso Oil Separator / GT Track Key Tune / Boss Quad Exhaust / QTP Wireless Cutouts / Diode Dynamics Sequencer / GT500 Rear Rotor Upgrade / CDC Dead Pedal / STO N SHO License Braket

............................. ..............................
shaneyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:11 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
KonaGT12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: New Mexico
Region: New Mexico
Posts: 69
There's a reason why the ZO6, ZL1, GT350R of modern day and the late 60's, etc are only offered in hard top. Stiffer frame = less flex = improved handling.
__________________
\-----------------------------------------------/
Kona Blue '12 5.0 GT: 3.73 gears, Brembo package, Premium, Comfort Package, American Thunder Exhaust. Daily.

Grabber Blue ‘14 V6: Premium package, MBRP Pro Catbacks, Air Raid CAI, BAMA tune. (Wife-mobile).
KonaGT12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:53 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Martinsburg
Region: West Virgina
Posts: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNIGHT4000 View Post
Hi Everyone, a few months ago I sold my stock Automatic 2006 GT and am working 2 jobs currently to buy a V8 in the price range of $20000 CAD($16000 US). I have to buy an Automatic to make it accessible to family members in case they have to borrow it, so 2 cars that seem in my price range are a 2011 GT Convertible Automatic and a SS Camaro L99 Coupe Automatic. Personally I would prefer a 11-14 Gt Coupe but where I live they are $3000-$5000 more expensive. I know its a Mustang forum, but since I like all kinds of performance cars I probably won't be the only one who could appreciate both brands.

From what I researched I'm aware that the L99 is heavier and has less horsepower, but it is a coupe in my price range and I do like the paddle shifters. HUD and styling since its in black. And I read that the low end Torque can be felt more with the larger displacement. The 11 GT is a Candy Red convertible. Unfortunately there isn't much about performance for me to read about 5.0 Verts. So I was wondering how it would compare with the L99? If its only a bit faster, is it worth getting a convertible with risk of getting leaks and buying a roll bar? Also all the local dealerships in my Province are flooded with 5.0 Verts, so I'm suspicious if there is something wrong with them.
I should mention I would eventually buy bolt ons on either one as well.
I appreciate any feedback.
Spend a few grand more and buy this guys car:

https://www.svtperformance.com/forum...h-tvs.1149513/
One year color, low miles and the cheapest low mile supercharged Coyote Mustang I have ever seen.
__________________
2014 Sterling gray GT 6M
Paxton Novi 2200, DW1000 injectors, JMS BAP, ATI damper
Lethal ORP, MGW shifter, BMR upper and lowers, Spicer 1 piece DS, Ram Single disk clutch with aluminum flywheel, Power leather seat conversion. Staggered wheels.
605 RWHP on a safe tune
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:46 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Kittanning
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 24
Sit in both cars if you haven't yet.
My wife was sure she wanted a Camaro convertible until we took one for a test ride. I couldn't see the traffic light unless I almost kissed the steering wheel and I couldn't see well around the car either.
The Mustang fit me like a glove. Better vision all the way around.
One of the few times I won the decision. Lol
Pa Pap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:34 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Spokane
Region: Washington
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Pap View Post
Sit in both cars if you haven't yet.
My wife was sure she wanted a Camaro convertible until we took one for a test ride. I couldn't see the traffic light unless I almost kissed the steering wheel and I couldn't see well around the car either.
The Mustang fit me like a glove. Better vision all the way around.
One of the few times I won the decision. Lol
It really is too bad that the Camaro looks like such a cartoon car, and that the ergonomics are so incredibly claustrophobic. We rented a Camaro once to go sight seeing on a trip out of town and I swore never again.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:31 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: B.C
Region: Canada
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott9050 View Post
Spend a few grand more and buy this guys car:

https://www.svtperformance.com/forum...h-tvs.1149513/
One year color, low miles and the cheapest low mile supercharged Coyote Mustang I have ever seen.
That is quite tempting. I'm not quite sure what import taxes would be like to Canada, but I think its steep. Plus there is another additional provincial fee on checking that everything is up to B.C specs. Its one of those reasons why I'm not considering going quick down the border and buy a GT in Seattle. The US definitely has more options on the market than up here.

Quote:
KonaGT12 There's a reason why the ZO6, ZL1, GT350R of modern day and the late 60's, etc are only offered in hard top. Stiffer frame = less flex = improved handling.
That is to bad about the flex. I tried to see some 0-60 Coyote Convertible videos on Youtube, but unfortunately there aren't any. Other than handling, would acceleration suffer a lot as well? On the 11-14 the Verts don't seem that much heavier than the coups on paper. I admit I'm still considering the Vert somewhat in the back of my head, since it is $5000 cheaper than the next available Coupe. 5K would already be the Long Tube Headers, X-Pipe, Catback, Tuner and Rollbars with some nice rims. But then again, if performance is much worse stock... .
__________________
Owner of: Between Mustangs right now.
KNIGHT4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:04 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,532
Convertibles are more expensive to begin with, so i'm wondering why the convertibles you're seeing are now so much cheaper than the coupes... unless it's just a supply and demand thing, and not a "quality" of the used vehicle thing.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:53 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,985
It's a supply and demand thing in BC. Lots of rental and lease return converts and not much demand, because it rains slot here.

Vert performance is down significantly from the coupe, equivalent option loads it's heavier and less solid structurally. That affects turn and burn and straight line.

It's a cruiser, plain and simple.
__________________
2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto N/A tune. 100 shot nitrous on BBR tune. Best e/t 11.38 at 120.85

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:51 AM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,767
Get the Mustang. Get what you can afford. Verts are a lot of fun if your weather isn't insane. And its good you are getting the auto. They are actually faster and have pretty much 0 issues vs the MT82 stick shift transmissions. Do not get gears for it, leave the stock 3.15s in there.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:36 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: St-Hubert
Region: Canada
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
It's a supply and demand thing in BC. Lots of rental and lease return converts and not much demand, because it rains slot here.

Vert performance is down significantly from the coupe, equivalent option loads it's heavier and less solid structurally. That affects turn and burn and straight line.

It's a cruiser, plain and simple.
Not really. My 2013 ex-rental vert did 12.7/112 mph stock with tune. So not bad
NoTop5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:04 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: St-Hubert
Region: Canada
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
Whatever you do, make sure that any convertible you are looking at on a used car lot is NOT a rental car bought at auction.
Several used cars here were previously rentals, and we ended up buying new.
Just imagine how someone would beat on a 5.0 rental. My son bought a used/previously rental Ford Explorer and has had good luck with it, but a performance car? No WAY!
I wouldn't worry about it too much. majority of people who rent the mustangs, don't know how to completely turn off the advanced trac (like me a few years back), some rental agency unplug the trac switch, and some give you only the 2nd My Key which limits everything.
NoTop5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:19 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 2,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTop5.0 View Post
Not really. My 2013 ex-rental vert did 12.7/112 mph stock with tune. So not bad
Decent, Jimmy!...I did high 11s in a loaded coupe 2012 BBP stick on a tune and low 12s in a coupe auto so, yeah, it's noticeable. The impact of no roof is greater around corners than in a straight line though.
__________________
2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort, etc. GT500s, Steeda UCA, VMP auto N/A tune. 100 shot nitrous on BBR tune. Best e/t 11.38 at 120.85

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:33 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Spokane
Region: Washington
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTop5.0 View Post
I wouldn't worry about it too much. majority of people who rent the mustangs, don't know how to completely turn off the advanced trac (like me a few years back), some rental agency unplug the trac switch, and some give you only the 2nd My Key which limits everything.
All most likely true....but personally? I would not consider a used rental performance car. Although I guess DILYSI break in is also promoted here, so you know the rental is nice and broken in.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should i get a 2011 mustang v6 or a 2011 Camaro V6? marcelinho General Mustang Discussion 6 12-18-2011 11:51 AM
Poll: 2011 Mustang GT or 2011 Camaro SS? quigley General Mustang Discussion 6 07-20-2011 08:25 AM
Concept Stingray and Convertible Camaro Lalayla Pictures and Videos 29 02-20-2011 01:25 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



03:58 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.