Tire choices for 18x11 wheels - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-21-2018, 12:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Millersville, MD
Region: Maryland
Posts: 51
Tire choices for 18x11 wheels

What a PITA.

I am looking for tires for a set of Forgestar F14 18x11 wheels.

It was suggested to purchase 315/30 which seems to limit my options, but it looks like 315/35 may also be an option with a speedo calibration.

Nitto NT01 are offered in 315/30. I hear that Mickey Thompsons are good, but I am struggling to find the size for street legal use.

Any recommendations for 315/30/18 or 315/35/18 on an 11" wheel for street use that hook good?

Hoosier? Toyo? Kuhmo?

Conspiracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-21-2018, 03:33 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Andalusia, Spain
Region: Europe
Posts: 17,005
The actual speedo difference between 315/30 and 315/35 will be nil. If you are that worried about the speedo being off, use a gps app on your phone to see how far off you are and if its too much for you get a tune.

A Mickey Thompson Street comp 295/35/18 will fit just fine and is 100% street legal and hooks well. 11.9" section width so it should be flush but not "hella flush" which will also help ensure you don't get any rubbing.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:47 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,658
What are you trying to accomplish with these tires? Don't just think a sticky tire is sticky, if you try to take an NT01 drag racing, you're going to have a real bad time with the stiff sidewall.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-24-2018, 10:39 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Andalusia, Spain
Region: Europe
Posts: 17,005
Shhh... This is the internet we only accept advice from ppl who have "done their research".

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:34 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
NewMtang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 1,965
Tire Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy View Post
What a PITA.

I am looking for tires for a set of Forgestar F14 18x11 wheels.

It was suggested to purchase 315/30 which seems to limit my options, but it looks like 315/35 may also be an option with a speedo calibration.

Nitto NT01 are offered in 315/30. I hear that Mickey Thompsons are good, but I am struggling to find the size for street legal use.

Any recommendations for 315/30/18 or 315/35/18 on an 11" wheel for street use that hook good?

Hoosier? Toyo? Kuhmo?

I thought you could only use 10" wide on the rear, unless your using an offset rim? Help me Scotty....
__________________
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:29 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Millersville, MD
Region: Maryland
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
What are you trying to accomplish with these tires? Don't just think a sticky tire is sticky, if you try to take an NT01 drag racing, you're going to have a real bad time with the stiff sidewall.
This is, in part, what I am trying to understand and hoping someone can educate me on what I need based on what I want to do.

I'm looking for a tire to fit an 11" wheel that hooks well on the street and the strip (I occasionally go).

My reasoning is that my *** end breaks loose and I am hoping a tire will help (might not be the be-all-end-all), but certainly help hook well.

Currently, I run a 20x10 on Continental DW.
Conspiracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy View Post
This is, in part, what I am trying to understand and hoping someone can educate me on what I need based on what I want to do.

I'm looking for a tire to fit an 11" wheel that hooks well on the street and the strip (I occasionally go).

My reasoning is that my *** end breaks loose and I am hoping a tire will help (might not be the be-all-end-all), but certainly help hook well.

Currently, I run a 20x10 on Continental DW.

Power? Transmission? Suspension setup?
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,462
There is a guy that use to be on here, that is running 18×11's with 315/30's on all 4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Millersville, MD
Region: Maryland
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Power? Transmission? Suspension setup?
600 RWHP, auto.

Suspension is in progress. It will be updated along with the wheels and brakes.

I have an existing track suspension from Roush which will be updated with Vorshlag-Billstein Street Pro 1.5" drop front/rear.
Conspiracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:44 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Andalusia, Spain
Region: Europe
Posts: 17,005
Auto 600 hp... get ET streets...
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:45 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy View Post
600 RWHP, auto.

Suspension is in progress. It will be updated along with the wheels and brakes.

I have an existing track suspension from Roush which will be updated with Vorshlag-Billstein Street Pro 1.5" drop front/rear.
My main concern was lowering springs without relocation brackets and or lower control arms.

If you're lowered even a little, the relocation brackets are a must, and the poly lower control arms will help as well. The Vorshlag Bilstein combo is an excellent choice.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:53 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Millersville, MD
Region: Maryland
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
My main concern was lowering springs without relocation brackets and or lower control arms.

If you're lowered even a little, the relocation brackets are a must, and the poly lower control arms will help as well. The Vorshlag Bilstein combo is an excellent choice.
I do have the Roush upper and lower control arms; no relocation brackets though.

Vorshlag had an excellent write up about their 18x11 setup and had it lowered (I believe) more than 2" with no rubbing issues.

I have been eyeing their 18x11 for the rear only as well as their V-B combo with 1.5" drop F/R for some time.

I'm now trying to find some good rubber that will provide a better hook for predominant street with strip use.
Conspiracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 05:13 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,658
The best tires in the world wont save you without relocation brackets. That being said, The MT mentioned above is a good choice.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:36 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Millersville, MD
Region: Maryland
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
The best tires in the world wont save you without relocation brackets. That being said, The MT mentioned above is a good choice.
Can you elaborate as to why? Roush doesn't require them, but I presume Roush is on the edge of spec where it is not required.

I already have a BMR pandhard bar upgrade going in as well, and their lower control arms and brackets are not expensive.
Conspiracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:08 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,658
In a nutshell, one end of the LCA bolts to the body, and the other to the axle. If the LCA is parallel to the ground, when the vehicle transfers weight to the rear, it will take the weight of the body and put it on the axle.

When you lower the car, you lower the body relative to the axle. Now, when weight is transferred, the body mounting point of the LCA is below the axle and will actually pull weight off the axle during weight transfer. That's what i mean by no tire will help if your geometry is off.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:15 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Millersville, MD
Region: Maryland
Posts: 51
I'm going to by annoying with another question.

Now that suspension advice has been included, I have a question about tire width.

For an 18x11 wheel, Vorshlag recommended a 315/30 for their 18x11. People in this thread have recommended MT's EE streets, but I cannot find that size nor am I knowledgeable enough to know what would be an equivalent fit for a 315/30 tire.

Any advice?
Conspiracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:34 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,658
Keep in mind that Vorshlag is also recommending a tire from a handling perspective. Typically you want a tire that is equal to, or about 1/2" narrower (on a 315 might even be able to get away with 1" narrower) because the slight sidewall "stretch" actually provides some preload and stability in the corners. For straight line traction, you can meet or even very slightly exceed rim width with your tires, but keep in mind, tire too much outside the rim really isnt in contact with the road much, so dont pay for tire you arent using.

Tire rack lists the "specs" for the tires they sell, so you can measure the tread width there.
This Falken i've linked (hopefully) for example is listed as a 315/30/18 but actually runs about 11.5" wide, which could work. Note* That falken is a good tire, but i was using it as an example more than explicitly recommending it.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:56 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Millersville, MD
Region: Maryland
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Keep in mind that Vorshlag is also recommending a tire from a handling perspective. Typically you want a tire that is equal to, or about 1/2" narrower (on a 315 might even be able to get away with 1" narrower) because the slight sidewall "stretch" actually provides some preload and stability in the corners. For straight line traction, you can meet or even very slightly exceed rim width with your tires, but keep in mind, tire too much outside the rim really isnt in contact with the road much, so dont pay for tire you arent using.

Tire rack lists the "specs" for the tires they sell, so you can measure the tread width there.
This Falken i've linked (hopefully) for example is listed as a 315/30/18 but actually runs about 11.5" wide, which could work. Note* That falken is a good tire, but i was using it as an example more than explicitly recommending it.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes
So let me think out loud to make sure I understand. I need to deal with measurements, so it is clear in my mind.

315mm is 12.5", so based on that there will be 1.5" of "extra" tire on an 11" wheel.

So, theoretically, a 285/xx could be possible as 285mm is 11.22". Correct?

That will give me greater options as I have been trying to zero in on a 315/30 and it has been so painful as options are limited. If I can look at a 305 for example, that would be great.
Conspiracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:22 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,658
Dont confuse section width and tread width. You cant strictly convert MM to inches in relation to my previous post.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:33 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Millersville, MD
Region: Maryland
Posts: 51
Ok, since I am dumb, I pulled up a tire calculator.


https://tiresize.com/calculator/


I currently have 275/35/20 on the rear and at least according to the calculator a 305/40/18 is almost identical for height.


Because Google is creepy, the adds immediately show a MT EE Street S/S in a 305/40/18. I think I am set.


Thanks for the help.
Conspiracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:22 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Voltwings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,658
Awesome. Keep us posted.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AMR tire choices? zachalyse Mustang Wheels & Tires 11 04-28-2017 08:54 AM
TIRE CHOICES. Opinions appreciated TurboCobra Mustang Wheels & Tires 3 06-30-2014 02:48 PM
18x11 Thejustang SVT Mustang 3 11-26-2012 10:40 PM
Wheels choices GoldenPonyBoy Mustang Wheels & Tires 24 04-30-2012 04:36 PM
All about Wheels/Tires! From size to rim choices SpectorV Mustang Wheels & Tires 14 03-17-2005 12:19 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



08:55 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.