Mustang Evolution Forum banner

3.7 cyclone to 5.0 coyote swap

37K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  crjackson 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey all,

So long story short, I've decided after a long time that I want to swap my current 2015 mustang 3.7 V6 Cyclone with a 5.0 V8 coyote engine.

I know that it's going to cost a lot more than selling the car and buying another GT, but I simply cannot do so as it's financed and I'm not looking to trade it in.

Money is not really an issue, I already have a few contacts including AmericanMuscle who sell the crate factory engines including the 5.0's.

What else is needed besides the engine itself? Will everything from the engine to the rear end of the car need to be replaced?

I just want to make sure I know what I'm jumping into before I get going on this project.

Any help is appreciated from you mustang guys, thanks!

#2 ·
New Suspension, Power train, Transmission, Possibly Upgrade All Electronic Gauges,Upgrade your car insurance, if they will cover the upgrades. You may have to go to Custom Car insurance.

Just a start.

So now that idea is gone, enjoy your V6 and put all that money in the bank, so you can buy that V8 in a couple of years.

#3 ·
Hey all,

So long story short, I've decided after a long time that I want to swap my current 2015 mustang 3.7 V6 cyclone with a 5.0 V8 coyote engine.

I know that its going to cost a lot more then selling the car and buying another GT, but I simply cannot do so as its financed and im not looking to trade it in.

Money is not really an issue, I already have a few contacts including AmericanMuscle who sell the crate factory engines including the 5.0's.

What else is needed besides the engine itself? Will everything from the engine to the rear end of the car need to be replaced?

I just want to make sure I know what im jumping into before I get going on this project...

Any help is appreciated from you mustang guys, thanks!
1 - if the vehicle is financed and you can't afford to sell it and buy a GT then sure as hell can't afford to do the swap.

2 - American Muscle is just a distributor and going downhill at that. Calling them a "contact" is like saying the dude at Autozone down the street is a "contact".

3 - If money isn't an issue then you wouldn't have an issue paying off the V6 and getting a GT.

4 - New engine from AM or whoever will be in the $7k range. You need a $1500 harness, $2000 worth of exhaust and then probably another $2k worth of misc.

5 - Sell it and get a GT. If you can't afford that then keep driving it till its paid off then get a GT.

I probably sound super negative to you but I'm just being real. Sell it and buy a GT. If you can't afford that you can't afford the swap. The 3.7 is actually a very quick street car, get some gears and a good tune/exhaust and enjoy it.

#4 ·
I know that its going to cost a lot more then selling the car and buying another GT, but I simply cannot do so as its financed and im not looking to trade it in.

You mention that money is not an issue, yet you can't buy a GT because your V6 is financed.....

I'm only aware of one individual that has actually done a 3.7 to 5.0 swap and they ended up having so much money into it that, had they sold their 3.7 and used the money they dumped into the swap, they could have been damn close to being able to buy a nice used GT500.

If you just want more power, go with a turbo setup. If you want the GT experience, sell your car and buy a GT.

#8 ·
There were no 05 or 06 GT500s, the new ones were 07-14.

And if you can't afford to pay off a 3.7L you might not want to see what insurance companies will charge you for a GT500 especially if you are under 25 or have any points.

TBTH just enjoy the car you have and look to save for a new one IMO. The 11-14 GTs were neck and neck with the 07-12 GT500s performance wise and the 2018s will pull their paint off if we are talking stock for stock. Plus you'll get a better interest rate.

#10 ·
If I were going to do a swap from a 3.7 to a v8, it would be a 427 crate motor from Ford :)

#11 ·
If I had a 3.7 that I absolutely refused to sell for whatever reason I'd just turbo it but even then you are probably going to be paying more than you would just selling it and buying a GT.

If you are upside down on the car where you can't sell it for what you owe... keep driving it, enjoy having basically what the 3V and 4V NA Mustangs were from 1996-2010 power wise and maybe do some basic mods to make it quicker and handle better. A well tuned and sorted Cyclone is not exactly slow especially on a road course.

#12 ·
Though a JMP rear mount kit starts at 3000. For 4200 I think it is that includes everything plus tune. Assuming he can install it himself. Though if I was him and thats the route I went Id source the tuning and injectors elsewhere and save about 400 bucks.

#20 ·
I've seen some rear mounts kits perform pretty well even have minimum turbo lag. It's personally not my thing for a few reasons. But they still have potential and the guy who's engineered the kit has done pretty damn good work with his other kits.

#14 ·
Because they saw it on the powerblock and actually believed those guys use the parts they are paid to shill?

#19 ·
I have never tuned a rear mount setup personally, so I couldn't give you any technical info on one compared to a normal single or twin kit on the same platform.

I only deal with your traditonal single and twin kits. So far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#25 ·
Its bad... like... its bad now and in the summer I'm probably going to feel like Quagmire... This place is the Spanish "south beach" in the summer and I'm about to close a rental contract on beachfront property.

I'm a married spud...

#27 ·
Lol I'm not that creepy to be snapping pics of women like that. I'll get pics of the house when we close on it tho.

#29 ·
You do realize, this thread died nearly 4 years ago, don't you?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.