Tune? Is one really much different from another? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-09-2018, 02:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Tune? Is one really much different from another?

So I have ran a couple different tunes and there doesn't seem to be an extreme difference between tuners....I wanted to know your guys experiences? It seems once someone gets a good tune, another tuner steals it and starts selling as his own often as well.

The reason I ask this is because I am currently having surging issues on highway while trying to maintain a constant throttle. So going 45 to 70 range in 4th or 5th gear and maintaining throttle I see my boost gauge jumping and feel car surging pretty bad. I never really had issues with tune until TB swap, but the tuner seemed to have it worked out as the car was good for 1 or 2 months.

You can see my mods in signature. Not too many engine mods, it's a 14 Roush with 80mm pulley, Roush CAI, boost a pump, ID 1000's, ford racing twin TB, Kooks headers running catless with H pipe
Phase 3 upgrade including CAI, Fuel pump voltage regulator, (648rwhp), 582 torque, Kooks LT headers with off road H pipe, Vossen CV3's, ID1000's, Steeda Heat Exchanger, BMR LCA's,relocation brackets, adjustable Panhard bar, Rear sway bar, Steeda Aluminum driveshaft, X-brace, Differential cover, torque box brace/frame rails, Shelby trans cooler, Mcleod RST clutch/lightweight steel flywheel w/SS clutch line, RP fluids, whiteline transmission bushing,MGW race spec short shifter,Ford racing twin 65mm throttle body, Pro Dyno tuned
jamyzd30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2018, 03:01 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Yes, there are some complete crap "pro tuners" out there. For a second opinion... I'd contact Shawn at AED and see what he'll charge you just to go over some datalogs. Shouldn't be too much. Might be a tune issue from your dyno guy or it might be mechanical. Either way, good to have another set of eyes that you KNOW is experienced.

And as for tuners just stealing other's tunes... it happens... but a good tuner will tune to your specific car. Mine did. Base tune was just a "good enough" canned tune and then we went from there about a dozen datalog sessions.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:10 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The thing is, the physics of making power has been around for decades. We know what spark settings the car likes, what valves over lap it likes, what afr it likes... that stuffs easy. Its ALL the other little things that go into a tune (WAY more than people realize) that set tuners apart.

One of those things, is understanding how to properly load calibrate a DBW throttle body, which is not easy to do.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2018, 06:05 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Wot tuning is a snap but, similar thought to VW's, tuning part throttle, shifting, on-of throttle performance, not to mention VVT settings is where the magic happens. This separates the experts from the also-rans.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:29 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quality tuning is done on the street, proofed on the dyno.
People will argue this, but " tuners " don't tune their cars on a dyno..

" Chance favors the prepared mind "
* SOLD * 2011 776rwhp.......documented " 1 of 2 "
2014 - detuned to 780rwhp
2017 F150 Lariat Scab, 5.0
1 Alibi 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:02 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Dan at Pro Dyno did tune it first on the Dyno. After I had an issue at first with surging he went riding with me for a good 30 to 45 minutes to make sure I was happy with it. I was happy with it for about 1k miles. I’m not complaining about the shop or tuner quite yet. Nonetheless Dyno tune or street tune, to me I prefer both over a mail order one. The car never did feel quite right after upgrading throttle body though. I still don’t know if my issue is mechanical or with the tune. Most people speak pretty high of Pro Dyno, but there seems to be some that say of issues. Hopefully I get my car back next weekend. He’s going to try another ford racing TB. But I highly doubt my new one was bad. Everyone on these forums seems to say Shaun with AED is the best. I’m just hoping someone can find and fix issue. VMP gave me a trial limited tune but it was misfiring immediately with theirs but throttle response felt amazing. I’ll update everyone soon though. I just hate to send someone another 600 or so to tune it. Either way though, if I could fix the issue whether mechanical or with tune, I’d be thrilled....the way my new spark plugs looked though, my confidence is not high. They only had 1k miles and didn’t look healthy....
Phase 3 upgrade including CAI, Fuel pump voltage regulator, (648rwhp), 582 torque, Kooks LT headers with off road H pipe, Vossen CV3's, ID1000's, Steeda Heat Exchanger, BMR LCA's,relocation brackets, adjustable Panhard bar, Rear sway bar, Steeda Aluminum driveshaft, X-brace, Differential cover, torque box brace/frame rails, Shelby trans cooler, Mcleod RST clutch/lightweight steel flywheel w/SS clutch line, RP fluids, whiteline transmission bushing,MGW race spec short shifter,Ford racing twin 65mm throttle body, Pro Dyno tuned
Old 02-11-2018, 10:08 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Prior to tune the car was misfiring. They changed the plugs and O2 sensors. This fixed the misfire and eventually I got tuned to my likings, although it took a while to work surge out. This was after upgrading to twin 65mm throttle body. I drove it for maybe 1 k miles and surge came back. Anyways, I pulled plugs that were just installed 1k miles ago and I don’t think they looked very well at all.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:15 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Pic of plugs after 1k miles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	838E0F0F-B1D3-4389-AFD8-2B1E59C70741.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	253337  
Old 02-11-2018, 10:41 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Can't tell anything from there. Not particularly troubling looking. They just look like newer plugs. You need to look down the porcelain to see where the fire ring is. Closer to the tip, richer it is. The only way to really tell what's going on is to do an old-school plug chop. The ECM will whack everything into general shape and hide problems with the tune.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT