Whiteline Watts Link Suspension - Anyone Have One? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-12-2018, 12:58 PM   #1

Region: New Jersey
Whiteline Watts Link Suspension - Anyone Have One?

I graduated from a V6 to a 2011 GT Premium Pack with 3.73 gear ratio. Car is bone stock with exception of a Magnaflow Catback. Anyone out there have any first hand experience with Watts Link suspension?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171005_140452.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	253457  
DK_V6_Man373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2018, 10:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
First off thats a good looking car.

The watts link will just give you more confidence going around corners. It acts like an IRS so if back right hits a bump the whole rear end isn't affected. Taking turns over bumps will literally feel like the rear end hoped over which is scary so the watts link will help with that.

That being said, if your on a track where the pavement is nice, the panhard bar setup is just as capable if not better then the watts link. But for everyday driving it'll make it more comfortable and easier to drive fast around corners.

Hope that helps!
visback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:56 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Watt's link does NOT make the rear act like an IRS... not even close. It makes it act like a SRA with a Watt's link...

There are pluses and minuses to Watt's vs Panhard bar. Google it all and do some reading. I'd just go with a good BMR adjustable PHB and call it.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2018, 12:16 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Watt's link does NOT make the rear act like an IRS... not even close. It makes it act like a SRA with a Watt's link...

There are pluses and minuses to Watt's vs Panhard bar. Google it all and do some reading. I'd just go with a good BMR adjustable PHB and call it.
I have a convertible, so the only off the shelf option is the FAYS2 Watts link that is specific for S197 convertibles.

But, since I will never see hard core track, I purchases the next best thing which is waiting to be installed.

BMR adjustable pan-hard bar.
Conspiracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:54 PM   #5

Thanks for the feedback all. I've done some research but am looking for anyone"s actual first hand experience as well. Although not technically a daily driver, I do put a decent amount of highway miles on it. I have done a couple of test and tunes and am looking for the best of both worlds scenario.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:12 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
What's the goals? Unless tracking or encountering fairly bumpy roads on a regular basis i dont think it will be worth it for you. I think the Whiteline Watts link is an excellent purchase, BUT if it's a pretty hefty investment, so it's best to make sure you understand what you're getting out of it.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:27 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
What's the goals? Unless tracking or encountering fairly bumpy roads on a regular basis i dont think it will be worth it for you. I think the Whiteline Watts link is an excellent purchase, BUT if it's a pretty hefty investment, so it's best to make sure you understand what you're getting out of it.
This.
As a basically stock car, there are many other things that would be a more worthy first investment.
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:47 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
And then you get into roll centers, anti squat and more advanced suspension geometry and the pros and cons of a watt's vs good PHB setup etc...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:45 PM   #9

So, understanding there are many mods out there. My primary goals for now are lessening wheel hop on initial acceleration and improving overall handling on rough sections of road. If there is a better solution than the Watts link to accomplish these goals I would like to know.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:11 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK_V6_Man373 View Post
So, understanding there are many mods out there. My primary goals for now are lessening wheel hop on initial acceleration and improving overall handling on rough sections of road. If there is a better solution than the Watts link to accomplish these goals I would like to know.
For wheel hop I'd start with upper and lower control arms. Don't do the upper without also getting the matching mount
Old 02-14-2018, 03:03 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I agree with this ^. You're talking about roughly half the initial investment for what may end up being the desired result. Luckily it's not like this is a "one or the other" type thing either.

The problem is you're wanting to fix two separate things, and it will take two separate sets of parts to accomplish that. The control arms will help with wheel hop and could help with control. The Watts link will certainly help with control, but will do little to nothing for helping the wheel hop.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:18 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

A watts link is definitely a nice piece of hardware. But they're kind of pricy and, IMO, should be towards the end of your suspension "to-do list."
Control arms are cheap and almost always cure wheel hop. I think better shocks and struts are a better investment than a watts link if everything is still stock.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by noldevin View Post
A watts link is definitely a nice piece of hardware. But they're kind of pricy and, IMO, should be towards the end of your suspension "to-do list."
Control arms are cheap and almost always cure wheel hop. I think better shocks and struts are a better investment than a watts link if everything is still stock.
Thanks to noldevin and Voltwing for the good advice. More to think about for sure.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT