Scraping sound coming from rotors? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-13-2018, 09:58 PM   #1

Region: Florida
Scraping sound coming from rotors?

I own a 2012 GT with under 8K miles and everytime i make a right hand turn there is this tin-like scraping sound. More like a scrape scrape scrape with a cadence that speeds up and slows down with speed. When i straighten the wheel it doesnt make a sound. Any ideas?
Smjoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2018, 10:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Happened to me the other day when I was turning right too. It sounded like I was dragging a soda can. I stopped to see if I ran something over but there wasn’t anything there. Looked under the car when I got home and didn’t see anything. That’s the first time it happened, hasn’t happened since. I have a 2014 mustang gt with just under 43k miles on it.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:48 AM   #3

Might be worth mentioning i just installed caliper covers. Ive checked and double checked the brackets clearance. I bent them a little more because one seems to not have enough. I also bent the dust cover slightly back. Havent heard it today so hopefully its gone. Will keep you updated ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2018, 07:15 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Pull off the wheel and inspect.......
Old 02-14-2018, 11:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smjoens View Post
I own a 2012 GT with under 8K miles and everytime i make a right hand turn there is this tin-like scraping sound. More like a scrape scrape scrape with a cadence that speeds up and slows down with speed. When i straighten the wheel it doesnt make a sound. Any ideas?
Update: still making the noise. No idea what it could be. It never does it when i turn left
Old 02-14-2018, 11:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeaton View Post
Pull off the wheel and inspect.......
Done this a few times. Anything specific to check for?
Old 02-14-2018, 11:52 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Take off both front caliper covers and see if the noise is still there.

FYI:
Those things are not the best for heat dissipation. Be careful if you use your brakes hard repeatedly with those covers on —- the brakes will overheat on many types of cars even without them......
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
This ^^.....chances are, if it didn't make the sound before and now it does, common sense would suggest that maybe they are the culprit......
Old 02-14-2018, 01:43 PM   #9
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Are the calipers rubbing your wheels? That will self correct given enough time

Old 02-14-2018, 02:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Quote:
This ^^.....chances are, if it didn't make the sound before and now it does, common sense would suggest that maybe they are the culprit......
I installed them a week ago and it just started a day or two ago. Im planning on taking them off and trying. But i guess i will have to return them? I dont know how i would ?fix? them
Old 02-14-2018, 02:42 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Just paint your calipers.

I would also check those dust covers you bent back. Maybe one is bent too far or something.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Just paint your calipers.

I would also check those dust covers you bent back. Maybe one is bent too far or something.
Hope its just the covers. Thats an easy fix
Old 02-14-2018, 04:37 PM   #13
Staff

Regular
Staff

you should be able to replicate it with the car jacked up...Use Jack Stands!!!
Old 02-14-2018, 06:58 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
My 2013 V6 coupe does the same exact thing once I put caliber covers on. I also installed the spacers that are suppose to prevent such from happening but obviously did not make a difference. On a different note, someone replied about just painting the original calipers - does anyone have a recommendation to the best brand of paint to use? I was thinking about removing the caliper covers and painting mine instead.
rgwest61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:51 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Food for thought...the mounting clip is essentially C shaped and fits over the Caliper. The bolt that is on the cover attaches at the top of the ?c? clip. If you over tighten the nut, it could warp the top of the ?c? clip, causing it to spread (because they aren?t perfectly formed to the shape of the Caliper) which puts the bottom 1/2 of the c clip that much closer to the rotor. Add a little heat, metal expands and it will scrape if the rotor has The slightest amount of play, warping or not perfectly in round.
I had the same issue, ground a slight bevel on the bottom edge of the ?c? clip and loosened the nuts and no more scraping. If you have the Caliper off, you could try crimping the clip to form fit onto the Caliper better. That might help.
I personally think stock calipers are ugly, painted or not and the covers make it look cleaner. They also seem to keep the wheels cleaner too. The comment about inhibiting heat dissipation makes sense so I would heed that advice.
Good luck with it!
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beviking View Post
Food for thought...the mounting clip is essentially C shaped and fits over the Caliper. The bolt that is on the cover attaches at the top of the ?c? clip. If you over tighten the nut, it could warp the top of the ?c? clip, causing it to spread (because they aren?t perfectly formed to the shape of the Caliper) which puts the bottom 1/2 of the c clip that much closer to the rotor. Add a little heat, metal expands and it will scrape if the rotor has The slightest amount of play, warping or not perfectly in round.
I had the same issue, ground a slight bevel on the bottom edge of the ?c? clip and loosened the nuts and no more scraping. If you have the Caliper off, you could try crimping the clip to form fit onto the Caliper better. That might help.
I personally think stock calipers are ugly, painted or not and the covers make it look cleaner. They also seem to keep the wheels cleaner too. The comment about inhibiting heat dissipation makes sense so I would heed that advice.
Good luck with it!
Well i took the front right caliper cover off (thats where the noise is coming from) still same noise. WTF
Old 02-15-2018, 07:05 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well i took the front right caliper cover off (thats where the noise is coming from) still same noise. WTF
Spin the wheel and isolate it....you have the car in front of you. I go back to whatever you bent to make something fit.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:11 AM   #18
Staff

Regular
Staff

fender liner?
Old 02-15-2018, 10:48 AM   #19

Well i found it. Rear caliper cover. I feel like an idiot LOL
Old 02-15-2018, 08:31 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
You have good company here. Glad you found it.two
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:19 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Quote:
You have good company here. Glad you found it.two[IMG class=inlineimg]http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/images/smilies/new/thumb.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/images/smilies/new/thumb.gif[/IMG]
I resemble that remark! Glad you found it!
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:03 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
I'd remove them all TBTH. They don't do anything except possibly create issues. If you want your calipers to look good pull them off and send them out to get powdercoated, or just paint them.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT