Mustang Evolution Forum banner

What are you guys using Barton, Ford Racing, MGW?

19K views 46 replies 23 participants last post by  mariusvt 
#1 ·
Never thought it would happen to me but at high rpm shifts I missed a gear bigtime and don't want it to happen again. Now it's out with the old and in with an aftermarket shifter & bracket. The FR one is the most expensive and have read Barton makes it anyway, so maybe save a few bucks and go Barton? Thoughts? guidance?
Thanks for any help,
Scott

#2 ·
MGW and it’s a very solid shifter!! Nothing fixes every issue with MT82, but overall I’m happy with it. Personally I like the transmission bushing insert as well.

#3 ·
I'm reluctantly gonna go the Barton two post route, I don't track the car just some spirited driving here n there, should be all I need. I'm going to write a letter to Ford expressing my displeasure in their efforts to cut costs by going with a cheap remote shifter assembly. Just strikes a nerve that an engineer would ok this shifter for a car that makes 420 hp and pass it along to the public. At a minimum, Ford should at least install a FR shifter assembly free of charge for those who want to upgrade it. I would buy it they can install it, just an idea.

#6 ·
MGW race spec, bushing insert and Royal Purple trans. fluid. Yeah, the stock shifter is atrocious,would be bad in a 200 HP car, inexcusable in a 400+ HP car.

#9 ·
Mgw first year and still loving it 30k miles later. Trans bushing too along with blowfish bracket. I?m happy with it!

#10 ·
The weakness is primarily in the arm from the trans to the shift box, not in the lever itself. Either the MGW or the new Barton that replaces the whole box like the MGW are the solution you are looking for. I can vouch for fact that the MGW Race Spec shifts like a precision bolt action rifle , and that is no exaggeration! I seem to remember that one of our forum members awhile back replaced his with the complete Barton box and shifter and was loving it.

#13 · (Edited)
After poking around the web, isn't the core issue the remote assembly itself, not the shifter? The tranny twists a bit under load and the remote assembly is attached to the body, not correctly aligning under load, causing mis-shifts. The Blowfish bracket turns the mt82/remote assembly into a solid rigid piece and it doubles as a DS loop.

edit: Got to thinking, could the Blowfish being so rigid cause the other factory components to flex and eventually fail? This is where the MGW and hybrid Barton come into play, they essentially replace all the factory shifting components.

#17 ·
I think the MGW can be considered a "Total Solution +", as this upgrade is so profound it adds value/resellability to your car should you sell in the future. There are really only 3 types of S197 Mustang owners- those who go straight to an MGW, those who wander around for awhile with other less effective bandaids before they quietly swap to an MGW, and those who will never fully be able to experience the Coyote at full howl. George, the owner , is an amazing guy and you may be able to find a discount code to help get past the initial cost hurdle ( though that is something that will never enter your mind again once installed!). For an additional $15 you can get a longer or shorter shift lever so you can get the throw dialed in just right.

#19 ·
I hear you Strange Mud, a blowfish or an aftermarket shifter only tackles some of the problem. Well stated Gary, I really want to experience all this motor has to offer, I've barely spun the tires, had it for 2 years now. I think I'm now in the MGW camp and have embraced all that it is, which is like you said "a precision bolt action rifle".

#21 ·
The MGW makes the Blowfish completely pointless. I dunno why anyone gets anything but the MGW. Like... there is no reason other than to try to prove a point... which is stupid. And you'll be wrong anyway lol.

#23 ·
I already had a gen 1 MGW so I added a 2nd hand blowfish bracket to it to get the benefits of removing the body mount rather than try and sell the gen 1 MGW and then rebuy a race spec.

#27 ·
You might want to take a look at the MGW race spec and Steeda shifters... Because everything in your post is wrong.

Sent from my Z978 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#24 ·
worth mentioning...I didn't like my MGW at 1st (never disliked OEM) but it came up used at a good price so I got it. It wasn't until I drove a friends car with the OEM after getting used to the MGW and was appalled at how sloppy the oem shifter was (I had a JHR shifter bracket on it).

#26 ·
Missing gears at high RPM is a symptom of the crappy stock clutch. With the 2014 revised MGW, aftermarket clutch and flywheel I do not miss shifts.

#28 ·
Missing gears at high RPM is a symptom of the crappy stock clutch.
agree with this....for me it was blocked/missed shifts that was my issue more so in lower gears that I feel was helped by motor mounts. engine/transmission move less esp under load. The movement and tight L/R gates were an issue. However mounts add a lot of nvh (it ain't a Camary!)

#30 ·
Yeah the Steeda one gets rid of the u joints tho. I'd still get the race spec MGW over anything else. Again, 0 reason not to other than just to be difficult.

#31 ·
I thought the Steeda shifter reused the shifter shaft with the joints from the stock shifter.

On my 15 I used to miss third and 5th gears in about 1 out of 4 shifts during spirited driving. The tranny mount was so soft that I could grab the end of the tranny and move it around about 3/8" with little effort and the bushing on the end of the shifter was soft like a sponge.

I added the Steeda insert to the tranny mount and the Energy Suspension shifter bushing. This stopped the missed shifts. It also made the shifter much more precise feeling. For $45 it was a no brainer mod.

The only other issue with the shifter was the handle was too high for me to comfortably rest my hand on the knob with my arm on the console. I got the Boomba short handle and that solved the comfort issue. The shorter throw and increased effort due to the shorter throw made the shifter feel even more precise and solid. I am very satisfied and have no plans to make any further changes.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.