Two tire brands same size tires different widths? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-15-2018, 05:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Hello just curious if anyone else experienced this. I am running Hankook Evo’s on my Mustang GT. Size of the rear tires are 285/35/19.

I ordered a set of the Michelin Pilots Sport AS 3’s same size and the Michelin’s look wider than my hankooks. I measured the hankooks and they appear to be about 10” wide. The pilots measure 11.

Has anyone else noticed two different brand tires in the “same” sizes measure like that?

Not complaining, I just thought of the size is 285/35/19 that’s what they would be?
spankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2018, 06:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Oh yes, very common for tire manufacturers to do this. I used to see this a lot at our H-d store between tire sizes and manufactures.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:00 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Extremely common, why I never mix and match unless the sets match on the front and back. I once had a set of BFG 275s that were damn near as wide as Nitto 315s they replaced, it can vary that much. Nittos run narrow, many BFGs run wide. Tirerack usually has the actual exact dimensions of tread/section width on the site so you can see.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2018, 01:37 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Thanks. I’m running a staggered set of rims so being a tad wider in the rear shouldn’t matter all that much. I just didn’t know they did this. Meaning I thought the tire size was just that.
spankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:14 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Unfortunately tire sizes and wear ratings aren't really regulated at all. Brands can vary quite a bit.
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Your Michelin AS3

I agree with what you say. My 3’s, front and back are wider than the originals. My 15 GT, 5.0, 6M, PP these have about 50%+ left on the rear and the wheels are not squared off. You will note the difference in the colder temps vs those Summer tires.... and so far they are quiet.
Good driving.
retiredf5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:48 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Yup, as Scotty mentioned, try to get the section/tread width and use that for comparison.
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:09 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Honestly I stopped going staggered. When you have 275s on all 4 corners its kinda pointless unless you are seriously dragging the car and have a proper setup and actual drag tires. Traction is great, handling is better, can rotate them, longer studs and hubcentric spacers to get the widened look in the rear.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:39 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Honestly I stopped going staggered. When you have 275s on all 4 corners its kinda pointless unless you are seriously dragging the car and have a proper setup and actual drag tires. Traction is great, handling is better, can rotate them, longer studs and hubcentric spacers to get the widened look in the rear.
This makes sense but I’d rather spring for 2 tires at a time, prefer the wider rear wheel look and an inch and a half more rubber per side helps put the power down. Although, I’d like to see actual surface area comparisons because the 315 555G2 I have have massive voids between the treads! I wouldn’t be surprised if comparing actual sq inch of contact on these vs a narrower tire worked out to be less than what the measurements would suggest. Oh well, it looks cool as hell! Lol
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT