Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Two tire brands same size tires different widths?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Beviking 
#1 ·
Hello just curious if anyone else experienced this. I am running Hankook Evo’s on my Mustang GT. Size of the rear tires are 285/35/19.

I ordered a set of the Michelin Pilots Sport AS 3’s same size and the Michelin’s look wider than my hankooks. I measured the hankooks and they appear to be about 10” wide. The pilots measure 11.

Has anyone else noticed two different brand tires in the “same” sizes measure like that?

Not complaining, I just thought of the size is 285/35/19 that’s what they would be?

#3 ·
Extremely common, why I never mix and match unless the sets match on the front and back. I once had a set of BFG 275s that were damn near as wide as Nitto 315s they replaced, it can vary that much. Nittos run narrow, many BFGs run wide. Tirerack usually has the actual exact dimensions of tread/section width on the site so you can see.

#6 ·
Your Michelin AS3

I agree with what you say. My 3’s, front and back are wider than the originals. My 15 GT, 5.0, 6M, PP these have about 50%+ left on the rear and the wheels are not squared off. You will note the difference in the colder temps vs those Summer tires.... and so far they are quiet.
Good driving.

#7 ·
Yup, as Scotty mentioned, try to get the section/tread width and use that for comparison.

#8 ·
Honestly I stopped going staggered. When you have 275s on all 4 corners its kinda pointless unless you are seriously dragging the car and have a proper setup and actual drag tires. Traction is great, handling is better, can rotate them, longer studs and hubcentric spacers to get the widened look in the rear.

#9 ·
This makes sense but I’d rather spring for 2 tires at a time, prefer the wider rear wheel look and an inch and a half more rubber per side helps put the power down. Although, I’d like to see actual surface area comparisons because the 315 555G2 I have have massive voids between the treads! I wouldn’t be surprised if comparing actual sq inch of contact on these vs a narrower tire worked out to be less than what the measurements would suggest. Oh well, it looks cool as hell! Lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.