Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Mystery pool

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  straybullitt 
#1 ·
My 2011 GT was in the garage for a week while I was on Spring Break. When I came home and took it on a drive, I noticed a pool of red fluid (slippery like a petroleum base) in the garage under the area of the transmission. I had it checked out at the dealership and they couldn't find any problems.

I haven't seen anything prior to this or since. There are no new spots in the garage or at my office where it's parked during work days. I was surprised that the dealership guys couldn't even find the source. They report my fluid levels are good.

Is there an idea of what may be happening?

#2 ·
Issues with RPM's, bogging

I've noticed that in the summer with A/C on, when idling at a stop light or parked the engine will bog (the RPMs will drop) momentarily and then come back up. I can make the car do it to a lesser degree when I use the window up switch and the windows are already up. I changed the battery to a new one, but that didn't change anything.

Also, when I come to a stop light the car will tend to rev higher for two or three seconds before it suddenly transitions lower. When I start moving it can also suddenly transition higher and the car wants to lurch forward.

I've gotten used to it but wondering if the throttle body or something could be to blame, and whether upgrading the throttle body (if that's the issue) would result in smoother performance?

#8 ·
Red Fluid I.D.

Has anyone determined what the slippery red fluid was? I am clueless when it comes to under the hood of my 2014V6 Mustang convertible. All my mods are cosmetic. But that liquid sounds like automatic transmission fluid to me. I'm sure all you motorheads thought that too.

Want to have a laugh? I play trumpet professionally and one of my good trumpet friends, who beautifully restored an MGA, gave me this tip. Use automatic transmission fluid to lubricate the 1st and and 3rd valve slides on your trumpet. A few drops lasts up to 6 months and is slick as Hell. Been using it for years. A quart of the bright red stuff will last a life time!

#14 ·
Want to have a laugh? I play trumpet professionally and one of my good trumpet friends, who beautifully restored an MGA, gave me this tip. Use automatic transmission fluid to lubricate the 1st and and 3rd valve slides on your trumpet. A few drops lasts up to 6 months and is slick as Hell. Been using it for years. A quart of the bright red stuff will last a life time!
derail

saw T.S. Monk last nite (at Wesleyan) with Randall Haywood on T.

great show

#12 ·
Had something like this happen under my Jeep GC a while back. Finally took it in. My thoughts were maybe the water pump was going. After determining the cooling system was all good, they located a pin hole in my power steering return hose. Not sure why is did not spray all the time, but would only do it when the wheel was cranked.

Might consider:confused:

#15 ·
My old pickup truck does the exact same thing, every once in awhile, when it hasn't been driven for several days. It is transmission fluid leaking out of the front seal. In my case, the transmission seal seeps fluid all of the time, but whatever amount that leaks out usually is dripped onto the exhaust pipe where it is burned off without ever leaving so much as a drop on the ground.
It doesn't take much transmission fluid on a garage floor to make a decent sized "pool", so don't be too concerned about it at this point. Just keep an eye on it. If it ever happens again, carefully inspect the area where the transmission bolts to the engine for any signs of dampness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.