Mystery pool - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-19-2018, 08:17 AM   #1

Region: Utah
Mystery pool

My 2011 GT was in the garage for a week while I was on Spring Break. When I came home and took it on a drive, I noticed a pool of red fluid (slippery like a petroleum base) in the garage under the area of the transmission. I had it checked out at the dealership and they couldn't find any problems.

I haven't seen anything prior to this or since. There are no new spots in the garage or at my office where it's parked during work days. I was surprised that the dealership guys couldn't even find the source. They report my fluid levels are good.

Is there an idea of what may be happening?
sparticus1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2018, 08:27 AM   #2

Issues with RPM's, bogging

I've noticed that in the summer with A/C on, when idling at a stop light or parked the engine will bog (the RPMs will drop) momentarily and then come back up. I can make the car do it to a lesser degree when I use the window up switch and the windows are already up. I changed the battery to a new one, but that didn't change anything.

Also, when I come to a stop light the car will tend to rev higher for two or three seconds before it suddenly transitions lower. When I start moving it can also suddenly transition higher and the car wants to lurch forward.

I've gotten used to it but wondering if the throttle body or something could be to blame, and whether upgrading the throttle body (if that's the issue) would result in smoother performance?
Old 04-19-2018, 08:39 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
mods, car, miles, transmission, year, etc.... no such thing as too much information
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2018, 08:41 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Actually, sounds like this issue is related to your other thread and all conversation should be moved there. Likely lost some ATF somehow and that is the cause of your hesitation and "bog" at idle.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:43 AM   #5

Sorry, forgot to mention it's a 2011 GT. All stock, no mods. It has about 71k miles.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:18 AM   #6
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I just read the other post and wanted to go back and link this. I agree they very well be the same issue.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:20 AM   #7
Staff

Regular
Staff

Sparticus,

I merged the threads....lets see if this help folks give you ideas.

Mud
Old 04-28-2018, 08:35 AM   #8

Red Fluid I.D.

Has anyone determined what the slippery red fluid was? I am clueless when it comes to under the hood of my 2014V6 Mustang convertible. All my mods are cosmetic. But that liquid sounds like automatic transmission fluid to me. I'm sure all you motorheads thought that too.

Want to have a laugh? I play trumpet professionally and one of my good trumpet friends, who beautifully restored an MGA, gave me this tip. Use automatic transmission fluid to lubricate the 1st and and 3rd valve slides on your trumpet. A few drops lasts up to 6 months and is slick as Hell. Been using it for years. A quart of the bright red stuff will last a life time!
tromba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:13 AM   #9

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparticus1701 View Post
My 2011 GT was in the garage for a week while I was on Spring Break. When I came home and took it on a drive, I noticed a pool of red fluid (slippery like a petroleum base) in the garage under the area of the transmission. I had it checked out at the dealership and they couldn't find any problems.

I haven't seen anything prior to this or since. There are no new spots in the garage or at my office where it's parked during work days. I was surprised that the dealership guys couldn't even find the source. They report my fluid levels are good.

Is there an idea of what may be happening?
Is it possible you've been pranked?
CC2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2099 View Post
Is it possible you've been pranked?
No, we were gone for the week with the house locked and the car in the garage.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:53 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Send a sample off to have it tested. all we can do is guess.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:34 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho
Had something like this happen under my Jeep GC a while back. Finally took it in. My thoughts were maybe the water pump was going. After determining the cooling system was all good, they located a pin hole in my power steering return hose. Not sure why is did not spray all the time, but would only do it when the wheel was cranked.

Might consider
/ Moroso Oil Separator / GT Track Key Tune / Boss Quad Exhaust / QTP Wireless Cutouts / Diode Dynamics Sequencer / GT500 Rear Rotor Upgrade / CDC Dead Pedal / STO N SHO License Braket

............................. ..............................
shaneyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 02:20 PM   #13
Staff

Regular
Staff

sprayed when at high pressure
Old 04-29-2018, 02:23 PM   #14
Staff

Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromba View Post

Want to have a laugh? I play trumpet professionally and one of my good trumpet friends, who beautifully restored an MGA, gave me this tip. Use automatic transmission fluid to lubricate the 1st and and 3rd valve slides on your trumpet. A few drops lasts up to 6 months and is slick as Hell. Been using it for years. A quart of the bright red stuff will last a life time!
derail

saw T.S. Monk last nite (at Wesleyan) with Randall Haywood on T.

great show
Old 04-30-2018, 10:58 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
My old pickup truck does the exact same thing, every once in awhile, when it hasn't been driven for several days. It is transmission fluid leaking out of the front seal. In my case, the transmission seal seeps fluid all of the time, but whatever amount that leaks out usually is dripped onto the exhaust pipe where it is burned off without ever leaving so much as a drop on the ground.
It doesn't take much transmission fluid on a garage floor to make a decent sized "pool", so don't be too concerned about it at this point. Just keep an eye on it. If it ever happens again, carefully inspect the area where the transmission bolts to the engine for any signs of dampness.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT