Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Superchargers and the front strut tower brace

11K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  1 Alibi 2 
#1 ·
For the last few months I have been researching front tower strut braces that will:

1) Clear a positive placement blower
2) Clear the air inlet tube of the CIA
3) Allow the hood to close and/or NOT rub the underlying hood insulation

In all my research, most will run into at least two of the above. There are several threads over the years and across the Mustang forums:

Front strut brace with VMP:
https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/strut-tower-brace-with-vmp-roush-tvs.1063639/

Roush Front strut brace with Roush blower:
https://themustangsource.com/forums/f726/strut-tower-brace-will-fit-over-vmp-blower-534652/

Roush and 07-09 GT500 brace with Roush blower:
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f358/t366326/

I'm sure you can find many others.

The easiest fitment seems to be for a Roush CIA because the inlet tube has an indent thus allowing clearance:

Clearance

The air inlet tubes for the JLT CIA often packaged with VMP blowers do not have this indent:

Options
There are a couple of options that have been brought up (see threads above) such as:

FRPP strut brace for a 07-09 GT500KR. Part #: M-20201-C.
Steeda 10-12 GT500. Part #: 555-5724

Steeda tech support will say that their 10-12 GT500 strut brace will not be an option. However, Late Model Restoration disagrees (as of this writing). Their application section mentions it will clear a Roush and VMP blower.

https://lmr.com/item/ST-5555724/Mustang-GT500-Steeda-Strut-Tower-Brace-10-14-555-5724

As of this writing, Steeda's product page has 2 interesting reviews. One review for a 2013 GT with a Roush and a 2011 GT500 with a JLT intake. Since I have a 2011 GT with a VMP blower which has a JLT intake, I opted for the Steeda solution from Late Model Restoration. LMR specifically states that it will work on their page. I also spoke to their support directly with them stating that if it did not fit, I could send it back.

Fitment
The 10-12 GT500 Steeda Strut Tower brace fits my 2011 GT with VMP GenII and JLT intake, but not without some elbow grease.

Caveats
1. The brace clears the blower and intake tube with no problem, but it does rub the hood insulation, and ever so slightly pushes up the hood on passenger side. And I mean every so slightly. 1/16 of an inch. It is very hard to visually see, but if you are anal retentive and rub your finger over the fender and hood gap before and after install, you will notice.

2. I did need to drill out the mounting holes with a step bit a little bit for it to fit.

3. The hood will rest on the strut brace, but my hood will close if I lift it up and have it fall under it's own weight.

4. I have a 2011 GT, but I presume product tolerances of any '11-'14 year Stangs may need a few tricks as above. I state this because some people across the Mustang forums may have a similar year and similar build, but they state it fits while others say no it will not.

Summary
The damn thing fits. Not perfect, but damn near good enough for me. Thank you Late Model Restoration. May the gods shine their grace upon thee.

See less See more
#2 ·
Fitment
The 10-12 GT500 Steeda Strut Tower brace fits my 2011 GT with VMP GenII and JLT intake, but not without some elbow grease.

Caveats
1. The brace clears the blower and intake tube with no problem, but it does rub the hood insulation, and ever so slightly pushes up the hood on passenger side. And I mean every so slightly. 1/16 of an inch. It is very hard to visually see, but if you are anal retentive and rub your finger over the fender and hood gap before and after install, you will notice.

2. I did need to drill out the mounting holes with a step bit a little bit for it to fit.

3. The hood will rest on the strut brace, but my hood will close if I lift it up and have it fall under it's own weight.

4. I have a 2011 GT, but I presume product tolerances of any '11-'14 year Stangs may need a few tricks as above. I state this because some people across the Mustang forums may have a similar year and similar build, but they state it fits while others say no it will not.

Summary
The damn thing fits. Not perfect, but damn near good enough for me. Thank you Late Model Restoration. May the gods shine their grace upon thee.[/QUOTE]
............With the hood resting on the brace, what happens when the engine moves ???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.