Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Thoughts on my new 2018 Mustang

4K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Conspiracy 
#1 ·
I have had my '18 5.0 premium for about 6 weeks now and overall I love the car. I went with the 10-speed auto after a lot of back-and-forth in my mind and am happy I chose the auto. The test drive did not do justice to the auto but after having it for a while I am impressed with the way it operates in the different modes. When is Sport + or Track it is a beast. I'm getting 21.5 MPG since I bought it and am using regular gas. The digital dash is nice when you have the auto as it shows what gear the transmission is in, I highly recommend you go that way with the auto. I thought I may have to get an H-pipe to beef up the exhaust note but it sounds great as is. I did not get the active exhaust but wish I did so I could go to the quiet mode in the morning as it could bother the neighbors as is. The Safe and Smart package is great, it will keep you in your lane when you activate it and the active cruise control is nice also. The electronic upgrades from my old '12 to this one are mindblowing, from the radio to the digital dash it is impressive what you can do. I also opted for the Performance package 1 but not the Magnaride shocks. I really don't think I'm missing anything without the Magnaride but I don't drive too hard. The power that the car produces is way more than I expected and even on regular gas, I don't know what to do with all of it and options to add more would be wasted on me. Only negative is that it seems harder to wash and wax than my old one as it seems bigger and all those angles in the front and the rear spoiler are a pain to wash and wax. Overall I give the car a 10 out of 10. I'm thrilled I waited for the 2018 and every time I start it and hear that rumble it's like I'm 16 again; 16 was 51 years ago for me.

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm not doing any performance mods. I did put a oil seperator in and rear mud flaps. I'll probably install install jacking rails then I'm pretty much finished. I'm also thinking of a racing stripe but am waiting until more are available for the 18 models. Can't think of anything else I would like to do.

#4 ·
Maybe tune it? Apparently on the 2018s you do not need to do much in the way of any mods besides a tune... Might firm up the auto and set better shift points if nothing else.

#5 ·
That’s great that you love you’re new ride! I have to chuckle at all the tech in the cars because there’s always those ppl (like me) that want to drive and don’t care for all the tech. My ‘12 has too much imo. If I buy another one, a newer one, I’d look hard at the auto too. I’m old enough to not want to mod another car but it’s a sickness so who knows.
Enjoy it!!!

#7 ·
I agree on the tech. Give me Bluetooth with a good touchscreen stereo and I'm good. I mean the new stuff is all cool but there is such a thing as too much. Maybe I just need to get into one? I still like the 2011-2014 autos set up for straight line speed as the best value buy in Mustangs right now.

When I get older I plan to get myself a newer gt figured I'll just go to the navy for the next 15 years save my 98 for my son when he graduates high school. Only 22 now

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Why 15 years? With the new retirement plans get the benefits, training and GTFO after 4-6 unless you legit love it and want to be career. Wasting time and money otherwise. I'm only staying in for 20 since I'm grandfathered into the old lifetime retirement plan.

Sent from my Z978 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#8 ·
Yeah I want a career out of it. I've been pushing off the military since high school 4 years ago ended up with 2 kids my main focus is making sure they live a better life than me. I've been studying my brains out I want a good job I'll like getting up at 4am in the morning for the next 15 or so years. Wish you well with your journey brother

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#9 ·
The test drive did not do justice to the auto but after having it for a while I am impressed with the way it operates in the different modes. When is Sport + or Track it is a beast.
Not to derail the thread, but a standard "test drive"; i.e., drive around the block can't really test cars anymore especially with all these modes. The dealership probably wouldn't let a person flex the modes anyway. Maybe I am wrong.

I am about to stop upgrading my 2011 GT and have been eyeing a 2018 A10. I may wait another 2 years and pick up a used one. Damn things are getting pricey.

#10 ·
I dunno how fast do you need? A 2011 a6 with not a lot of stuff is fast as hell. But the looks and features and bells and whistles...

#15 ·
I dunno how fast do you need? A 2011 a6 with not a lot of stuff is fast as hell. But the looks and features and bells and whistles...
I don't know honestly. I have waffled on a built motor for the goal of ~850HP to the wheel. I am worried about that much horse power given my skillset and the reality that I have a convertible.

I'm sure the chassis flex was hurting me even with ~600RWHP. I beefed up the suspension with BMR boxed subframes and relocation brackets for the LCA's. It has helped A-LOT.

It's the bells and whistle's that are enticing, really. And the fact that the '15 and up have forged internals from stock.

#11 · (Edited)
I watch a lot of cars at the strip (if that's your bag) and the S197s still do really well. They are more consistently fast and quick and things like the GT350 and even the old B302 really disappoint at the strip, given the price points when new. We got Hellcats as common as Hondas at the strip and even a couple Demons come out pretty regular AND a Track Pack Challenger as well. They scoot pretty well but, I handed a drag-radial Hellcat its *** with a simple 100 shot NX plate on my stock 14 auto.

Getting an S197 into the 11s takes virtually no work and the the mere 6 speed auto works pretty well. I did 11.91 at 115 on my 2012 manual 3.73 loaded Brembo car. Completely stock engine with Procal, cats in, stock airbox, stock springs, shocks, bars, everything. I have a pic of the car lifting a front wheel off a 4500 rpm clutch dump at the track. I didn't do as much NA with the 14, as I felt its biggest handicap was a too-tight converter. Hence, spray it out of the dig. That blew me right through the cage limit and put me back on my big sportbike, as far as the track was concerned.

I did drive an 18 GT around a racetrack left AND right and I was pretty impressed with the 10 speed. I gave up on the paddles because the box was generally in the right gear in sport mode alone. It's a big car and it feels it at the racetrack but, it's far better coordinated than the S197 from that perspective. I felt, strangely, the motor lacked some top-end oomph on the stock tune so, I think you should tune it, given the mechanical breathing improvements Ford put in the 18.

#12 ·
I watch a lot of cars at the strip (if that's your bag) and the S197s still do really well. They are more consistently fast and quick and things like the GT350 and even the old B302 really disappoint at the strip, given the price points when
new. We got Hellcats as common as Hondas at the strip and even a couple Demons come out pretty regular AND a Track Pack Challenger as well. They scoot pretty well but, I handed a drag-radial Hellcat its *** with a simple 100 shot NX plate on my stock 14 auto.
Getting an S197 into the 11s takes virtually no work and the the mere 6 speed auto works pretty well. I did 11.91 at 115 on my 2012 manual 3.73 loaded Brembo car. Completely stock engine with Procal, cats in, stock airbox, stock springs, shocks, bars, everything. I have a pic of the car lifting a front wheel off a 4500 rpm clutch dump at the track.

I did drive an 18 GT around a racetrack left AND right and I was pretty impressed with the 10 speed. I gave up on the paddles because the box was generally in the right gear in sport mode alone. It's a big car and it feels it at the racetrack but, it's far better coordinated than the S197 from that perspective. I felt, strangely, the motor lacked some top-end oomph on the stock tune so, I think you should tune it, given the mechanical breathing improvements Ford put in the 18.
How’d you get the wheels off the ground?

#13 ·
Dumping the clutch at 4500 with a 28X10X16 inch Hoosier drag slick on the back. Full dead hook. Stock suspension with just LCAs and a Roush rubber upper, which really played little part in the game.

I'm not talking littles up front here either, I'm talking about the heavy-*** Brembo wheels and tires. It just picked up one a little bit but, that's ok on a stock suspension.

#14 ·
Dumping the clutch at 4500 with a 28X10X16 inch Hoosier drag slick on the back. Full dead hook. Stock suspension with just LCAs and a Roush rubber upper, which really played little part in the game.
I'm not talking littles up front here either, I'm talking about the heavy-*** Brembo wheels and tires. It just picked up one a little bit but, that's ok on a stock suspension.
Uh, yeah, I’d say that’s more than ok! I’ve been trying to tweak the suspension year after year. It would be unreal to get a wheel off the ground on street tires but the front end lifts like crazy. No lightweight wheels/tires either (Steeda spyders with 315/20 on back and 275/20 front lol). Have Steeda adj UCA, eibach lowers, 1.5” rear springs w strange adj shocks. Put stock springs back on front and with shocks stiff at #7 it bites the best it ever has. Might see what it can do when it gets hot out and tires are sticky...after the cf driveshaft install.
Pardon the thread heist. ?

#16 ·
No they don't they have sinter forged. Pistons and crank are the same. Rods just have a little more matrial. That said, they are stronger.

#17 ·
sintering is a forging process, nothing wrong with it. It's using some heat and A LOT of pressure to form an object from powdered steel, in this case. It's still a forging process but, not the usual thing people think of with taking a solid piece of steel and heating it to near molten and pressing it into shape.

It's very stable with very few inclusions at the end, beacuse of the super high pressure.

#18 ·
Yep agreed but when ppl think "forged" they think true drop forged. Sinter forging is the same process that makes the weak *** 4.6l rods. The 11-14 Coyote rods just were done better and then the gt500/boss/15+ ones done better than that.

#19 ·
sintering is a forging process, nothing wrong with it. It's using some heat and A LOT of pressure to form an object from powdered steel, in this case. It's still a forging process but, not the usual thing people think of with taking a solid piece of steel and heating it to near molten and pressing it into shape.

It's very stable with very few inclusions at the end, beacuse of the super high pressure.
People LIED to me. :eek: Good to understand though.

Tangential question:

Let's say I want more power with my 2011, but would like the "guarantee" so-to-speak of a Ford built motor.

How much effort would it take for a 2018+ Coyote to be swapped into a 2011?
I have ID1050x injectors, so that's covered. I would need a tune. Anything else besides mechanical?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.