Mustang GT500 : Reliability? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-04-2009, 06:34 AM   #1

Region: Europe
Mustang GT500 : Reliability?

Hi again!

As some of you already know, my idea is to buy the new 2010 GT500 to import it to Spain. My first doubt is about the reliability of this model...

I'm sure the Mustang has a very well known engine and it's maintenance is, more or less.. "easy"... but what about the Shelby's?

In Spain there're people who are telling me: Be carefull! The shelby is a Mustang with Turbo... and its engine could be very delicated

I'm sorry if I don't explain me very well... but I think you understand me perfectly. The resume is:

Do I need to be a MacGyver with an GT500 in Spain? or by the contrary, its reliability is prooved.
The parts come from Shelby... or from Ford?
Is this model famous for any "bad" reason?

Many thanks
Marc bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2009, 06:57 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
Re: Mustang GT500 : Reliability?

First, it has a supercharger. Second, if you take care of it (change its fluids, etc) it will last a long time. The car is 100% Ford with a Shelby name plate.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:10 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

they are very well built and should give you no issues overall if you dont abuse it. When the first 07-08s came out there was a early clutch wear issue that took place, but that has been fixed.

I have not heard of any other issues.... but you really cant get a fix done at ford where you are I dont guess~ or can you?
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2009, 03:59 AM   #4

Ford doesn't import the Mustang to Spain, and any part you need for the maintenance, you need to order it to USA directly.

I owned some Lincoln Towncar and Cadillac limos and I usually import all the parts I need for their maintenance without any problem. There're some garages in Barcelona who know well american cars and I usually went there. I also import many parts and accesories for my Buell business. This is not a problem. My only afraid with the GT500 is because it is not an "standard" model, with thousands and thousands of units running around the world. It's an special vehicle, very well done, but an special conversion, done in short series... and sometimes, those kind of cars must to "live between cottom"

I recongnize that I've read some forums about the GT500 and I've never read about big engine damages or problems with it... and that's good!
Old 02-05-2009, 08:03 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

You shouldnt have a problem with the car at all.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:10 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

they are actually going to make a ton of GT500s, they already have. I wouldnt worry the engine has been used since 2007 with no major issues. Its more than likely better quality than the regular GT engine in how long it will run issue free.

I cross my fingers but my 03 cobra has never once been to the dealer for anything other than a recall to stick a metal plate under the gas petal to keep the petal from sticking to the carpet~

if you take care of the car its a VERY strong engine.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:12 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

I really wouldn't worry about the engine. The 03/04 cobra is the same basic design, a 4V 4.6 liter engine in limited run sequence with a supercharger mounted from the factory. There are people with well over 100k miles on the engine without any problems, and these include many modified vehicles.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:15 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

and technically the GT500 nor the 03/04 cobra were are considered limited as limited required there to be an exact number to be built. The 10th anniversary, KR's and such would be considered limited as they have a number cap~ but not the others.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:43 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
You shouldnt have a problem with the car at all.
Exactly !!! If you take care of the car. It will last for a long,long time

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #10
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

You will be fine as long as you don't abuse the car by driving it hard and not changing the fluids.

There are a number of engines that have blown in the current GT500 offerings, however at this point, they were all very heavily modded putting down 750-800 rwhp. In a mildly modded form, and good maintenance, you will be plenty safe with your GT500.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:00 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc bcn View Post
Ford doesn't import the Mustang to Spain, and any part you need for the maintenance, you need to order it to USA directly.

I owned some Lincoln Towncar and Cadillac limos and I usually import all the parts I need for their maintenance without any problem. There're some garages in Barcelona who know well american cars and I usually went there. I also import many parts and accesories for my Buell business. This is not a problem. My only afraid with the GT500 is because it is not an "standard" model, with thousands and thousands of units running around the world. It's an special vehicle, very well done, but an special conversion, done in short series... and sometimes, those kind of cars must to "live between cottom"

I recongnize that I've read some forums about the GT500 and I've never read about big engine damages or problems with it... and that's good!
If your keeping it stock, with the same supercharger thats on there you should have NOOO problems. it is very easy to find parts as well. i just ordered a gt500 dual fuel pump and it was very easy to find. Just dont redline it too much, dont drive it like its doomsday, and change the fluids on time. it should last you no problem.

do not worry, you will enjoy the car without problems.
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:33 AM   #12

Thank you all! Is good to hear this

I really take care of my "engines" always. I've had two BMW M3 E46, the first with 6speed manual gear and the second with SMGII, and I never had any problem... when I know people who broke engines

I usually take my time to heat the oil, I NEVER ask to the car more than it's 30% of power when the oil is cold... I change fluids on time ( or before ), never abuse of the red line ( many people doesn't know that in lot of cars, the red line is over the max power point, and it means that arriving to the red line you're loosing lot of power) etc... and the same in open road than on track.

I know the GT500 is a diferent concept of car. It's not light or fast in small roads as an M3, for example, but I'm sure one can live very exciting moments driving it...
Old 02-06-2009, 12:33 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc bcn View Post
Thank you all! Is good to hear this

I really take care of my "engines" always. I've had two BMW M3 E46, the first with 6speed manual gear and the second with SMGII, and I never had any problem... when I know people who broke engines

I usually take my time to heat the oil, I NEVER ask to the car more than it's 30% of power when the oil is cold... I change fluids on time ( or before ), never abuse of the red line ( many people doesn't know that in lot of cars, the red line is over the max power point, and it means that arriving to the red line you're loosing lot of power) etc... and the same in open road than on track.

I know the GT500 is a diferent concept of car. It's not light or fast in small roads as an M3, for example, but I'm sure one can live very exciting moments driving it...
your right it has a very diff feel and is a very diff car. But it has its own magic to it. i personaly love the feel of the weight, you really feel like your driving a muscle car! vs when you drive a m3, its very nimble and quick. you will love it im sure
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:46 AM   #14

keep up with the fluids and always use the best fuel you can get.

Keep the engine clean, the intercooler full and you have no problems.

The engine is solid, the clutch is indestructable, the only problem you will face is not spinning out of control the first time you try to slam on it. The car has waaay to much power, and can easily run out of control.
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:17 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

the gt500 is built more like a truck than a car. itll last.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:25 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Smile Re: Mustang GT500 in Spain ...

Having a Mustang in Spain sounds great, especially a GT500!

One of the best things about Mustangs, is because they are so well loved - you can still get brand new parts for ones 45 years old. Not too many other cars have this great "feature." Helps keep the value strong, too.

Since you're going to be importing one, you might as well special order & get it exactly as you want - what do you have in mind?

Enjoy!

Vaya con Dios.
4thMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

keep in mind those use special oil that is differnt from the conventional 5w20 used in typcail mustangs
iamdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:05 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

+1 and its also quite expensive per oil change, 80-100 bucks
Old 05-26-2009, 05:53 AM   #19

I don't think that there should be any problem.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT