Turbo Coupe swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2.3 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-03-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Turbo Coupe swap

So I found a Turbo coupe and they only want 700 for the whole running car and it has a clean title and everything. Now the question is should I buy it to replace my four cylinder with a TC four cylinder????
MC770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Re: Turbo Coupe swap

And if I do how much of a horse power difference will there be
Old 11-03-2010, 11:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Well $700 is cheaper than buying and installing a turbo. If everything is correct it sounds like a deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2010, 12:28 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky

It gives you as much power as a stock 5.0 maybe a little less. I don't know your year of car but the older fox came with the same motor so it shouldn't be to hard.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:28 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straublittleman View Post
It gives you as much power as a stock 5.0 maybe a little less. I don't know your year of car but the older fox came with the same motor so it shouldn't be to hard.
Well I'm running a 2.3l four cylinder in my 93 fox so it should bolt right in, right?
Old 11-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04DSGM1 View Post
Well $700 is cheaper than buying and installing a turbo. If everything is correct it sounds like a deal.
Thats what I think to, but this computer and motor are made to run with the five speed manual which of course mine has a four speed automatic w/ overdrive, So I figured since were getting the whole car I might as well swap transmissions while were at it. I know that it's probably not worth my while to do the swap but this is the only mustang I have and can acquire right now. Unless someone wants to trade for my convertible 93 2.3L automatic
Old 11-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #7
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC770 View Post
Thats what I think to, but this computer and motor are made to run with the five speed manual which of course mine has a four speed automatic w/ overdrive, So I figured since were getting the whole car I might as well swap transmissions while were at it. I know that it's probably not worth my while to do the swap but this is the only mustang I have and can acquire right now. Unless someone wants to trade for my convertible 93 2.3L automatic
I'll trade ya my 93 2.3L hatch automatic for it.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
I'll trade ya my 93 2.3L hatch automatic for it.
What have you done to it since the pics( by the way mines still needs a bit of interior work ) Not a good thing is yours is automatic, I was hoping for more of a manual to ease the work load
Old 11-04-2010, 09:41 PM   #9
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
What have you done to it since the pics( by the way mines still needs a bit of interior work ) Not a good thing is yours is automatic, I was hoping for more of a manual to ease the work load
Hmm, since the pics I've driven it briars about it. Oh, and swapped out the rear shocks and alternator. Oh, and changed the plugs. Other than that, nadda.

It's about to receive a 5.0 and a t5 tho. But I won't be trading it at that point. Lol
Old 11-05-2010, 01:32 AM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
Well I'm running a 2.3l four cylinder in my 93 fox so it should bolt right in, right?
Yep should bolt write in you may have to use your motor mounts but not sure. It will make a huge improvement considering your car weighs almost 1000 pounds less than that boat of a thunderchicken. Also to boost more HP invest into a turbo timer and control that wastegate to get more boost out of the turbo and by a blow off valve because it helps big time on saving that motor instead of the unused boost building up in the intake.

I know a chrystler conquest TSI is totally different but I disconected the wastgate on it and it jumped from 8 psi to 15-16 psi and it made a HUGE difference but I do have a huge blow off valve on it to.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:06 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Yep should bolt write in you may have to use your motor mounts but not sure. It will make a huge improvement considering your car weighs almost 1000 pounds less than that boat of a thunderchicken. Also to boost more HP invest into a turbo timer and control that wastegate to get more boost out of the turbo and by a blow off valve because it helps big time on saving that motor instead of the unused boost building up in the intake.

I know a chrystler conquest TSI is totally different but I disconected the wastgate on it and it jumped from 8 psi to 15-16 psi and it made a HUGE difference but I do have a huge blow off valve on it to.
Yeah thats what I was thinking but I don't know about how a manual engine and the computer is programmed for a manual transmission car and mine is an automatic, Will this create any problems when we do the swap. And if anyone knows, How easy would it be to change an automatic into a manual
Old 11-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #12
Road Trip!

It shouldn't be an issue it might idle a little lower than if it was an auto. Also most computers will inerchange with an auto my 94 has a auto in it and it came factory with a 5 speed also mine is electronic tranny and yours isn't that i know of. The hardest part to change your car to standard would be putting the pedals in cause i don't think you can use the turbo coupe pedals but i could be wrong.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
It shouldn't be an issue it might idle a little lower than if it was an auto. Also most computers will inerchange with an auto my 94 has a auto in it and it came factory with a 5 speed also mine is electronic tranny and yours isn't that i know of. The hardest part to change your car to standard would be putting the pedals in cause i don't think you can use the turbo coupe pedals but i could be wrong.
Well we'll give it a go and i'll be sure to post some pics of the progress

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2.3 Mustang