Turbo Coupe swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2.3 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-03-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
MC770's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,761
Turbo Coupe swap

So I found a Turbo coupe and they only want 700 for the whole running car and it has a clean title and everything. Now the question is should I buy it to replace my four cylinder with a TC four cylinder????
MC770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
MC770's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,761
Re: Turbo Coupe swap

And if I do how much of a horse power difference will there be
MC770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
04DSGM1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 78
Re: Turbo Coupe swap

Well $700 is cheaper than buying and installing a turbo. If everything is correct it sounds like a deal.
__________________
2004 Dark Shadow Gray Metallic Mach 1
K&N Air Intake
04DSGM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-04-2010, 12:28 AM   #4
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 839
Re: Turbo Coupe swap

It gives you as much power as a stock 5.0 maybe a little less. I don't know your year of car but the older fox came with the same motor so it shouldn't be to hard.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:28 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
MC770's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,761
Re: Turbo Coupe swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straublittleman View Post
It gives you as much power as a stock 5.0 maybe a little less. I don't know your year of car but the older fox came with the same motor so it shouldn't be to hard.
Well I'm running a 2.3l four cylinder in my 93 fox so it should bolt right in, right?
MC770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
MC770's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,761
Re: Turbo Coupe swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04DSGM1 View Post
Well $700 is cheaper than buying and installing a turbo. If everything is correct it sounds like a deal.
Thats what I think to, but this computer and motor are made to run with the five speed manual which of course mine has a four speed automatic w/ overdrive, So I figured since were getting the whole car I might as well swap transmissions while were at it. I know that it's probably not worth my while to do the swap but this is the only mustang I have and can acquire right now. Unless someone wants to trade for my convertible 93 2.3L automatic
MC770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #7
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular
 
PureVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 7,212
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Turbo Coupe swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC770 View Post
Thats what I think to, but this computer and motor are made to run with the five speed manual which of course mine has a four speed automatic w/ overdrive, So I figured since were getting the whole car I might as well swap transmissions while were at it. I know that it's probably not worth my while to do the swap but this is the only mustang I have and can acquire right now. Unless someone wants to trade for my convertible 93 2.3L automatic
I'll trade ya my 93 2.3L hatch automatic for it.
__________________
"When I know more, I'll be forthcoming. Or I won't be forthcoming, and I'll be honestly deceptive." - Les Miles
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
MC770's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,761
Re: Turbo Coupe swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
I'll trade ya my 93 2.3L hatch automatic for it.
What have you done to it since the pics( by the way mines still needs a bit of interior work ) Not a good thing is yours is automatic, I was hoping for more of a manual to ease the work load
MC770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:41 PM   #9
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular
 
PureVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 7,212
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Turbo Coupe swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC770 View Post
What have you done to it since the pics( by the way mines still needs a bit of interior work ) Not a good thing is yours is automatic, I was hoping for more of a manual to ease the work load
Hmm, since the pics I've driven it briars about it. Oh, and swapped out the rear shocks and alternator. Oh, and changed the plugs. Other than that, nadda.

It's about to receive a 5.0 and a t5 tho. But I won't be trading it at that point. Lol
__________________
"When I know more, I'll be forthcoming. Or I won't be forthcoming, and I'll be honestly deceptive." - Les Miles
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:32 AM   #10
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 839
Re: Turbo Coupe swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC770 View Post
Well I'm running a 2.3l four cylinder in my 93 fox so it should bolt right in, right?
Yep should bolt write in you may have to use your motor mounts but not sure. It will make a huge improvement considering your car weighs almost 1000 pounds less than that boat of a thunderchicken. Also to boost more HP invest into a turbo timer and control that wastegate to get more boost out of the turbo and by a blow off valve because it helps big time on saving that motor instead of the unused boost building up in the intake.


I know a chrystler conquest TSI is totally different but I disconected the wastgate on it and it jumped from 8 psi to 15-16 psi and it made a HUGE difference but I do have a huge blow off valve on it to.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:06 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
MC770's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,761
Re: Turbo Coupe swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straublittleman View Post
Yep should bolt write in you may have to use your motor mounts but not sure. It will make a huge improvement considering your car weighs almost 1000 pounds less than that boat of a thunderchicken. Also to boost more HP invest into a turbo timer and control that wastegate to get more boost out of the turbo and by a blow off valve because it helps big time on saving that motor instead of the unused boost building up in the intake.


I know a chrystler conquest TSI is totally different but I disconected the wastgate on it and it jumped from 8 psi to 15-16 psi and it made a HUGE difference but I do have a huge blow off valve on it to.
Yeah thats what I was thinking but I don't know about how a manual engine and the computer is programmed for a manual transmission car and mine is an automatic, Will this create any problems when we do the swap. And if anyone knows, How easy would it be to change an automatic into a manual
MC770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #12
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 839
Re: Turbo Coupe swap

It shouldn't be an issue it might idle a little lower than if it was an auto. Also most computers will inerchange with an auto my 94 has a auto in it and it came factory with a 5 speed also mine is electronic tranny and yours isn't that i know of. The hardest part to change your car to standard would be putting the pedals in cause i don't think you can use the turbo coupe pedals but i could be wrong.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
MC770's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,761
Re: Turbo Coupe swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straublittleman View Post
It shouldn't be an issue it might idle a little lower than if it was an auto. Also most computers will inerchange with an auto my 94 has a auto in it and it came factory with a 5 speed also mine is electronic tranny and yours isn't that i know of. The hardest part to change your car to standard would be putting the pedals in cause i don't think you can use the turbo coupe pedals but i could be wrong.
Well we'll give it a go and i'll be sure to post some pics of the progress
MC770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2.3 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coupe engine swap??? DDT12 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 7 02-16-2009 01:33 AM
Got to drive a turbo coupe Tbird232ci The Bar 3 05-08-2004 01:39 PM
T-bird Turbo Coupe?? fast64 The Bar 3 11-05-2003 09:37 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



01:28 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.