new to the 2.3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2.3 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-30-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

new to the 2.3

I'm just curious how well they handle power and how to get good power out of them. I don't know anything about them. I have a few v8 mustangs but I decided to try one of these instead of just swapping the motor all ideas or info or whatever u could provide me would be cool thanks
82stang224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Re: new to the 2.3

If your wanting to keep it a 4 cyl, the best bang for your buck would probably be a turbo swap/build. Easiest way to do it would be to find a thunderbird turbo coupe (87-88 are the best years for it) donor car and swap everything into the stang. Then you pretty much have an SVT. Internals are forged, they handle boost really well for a stock engine. It is not unheard of to get 200 rwhp out of a stock engine with stock turbo. Support in the parts department are limited to do-it-yourself if you have machining capabilites and fabrication experience or very high priced one off items from a couple companies. Stock engines can handle 15-18 psi with stock turbo. If you want to get crazy you can use volvo head, turbo, intercooler with some modification and can push over 20 psi. There are those out there that are running 300+ rwhp out of there 2.3L turbo. My next project after my current GT will be an 85-86 turbo 4cyl. turbotbird.com will give you a ton of info to go through. as well as turboford.com Good luck and keep us posted.

ps, I had an 88 Tbird turbo coupe and loved it. If I would have been smart I would have found a mustang coupe body and swapped everything into it.
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

I'll get about 400 out of my 2.3 let me tell u it is a lot of fun and u got somthin that none else has and stinger performance will help u out alot
2.3turboford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:34 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Here's some info for you.

Hot Rod High 2.3

Ford 4 Cylinder

The 2.3 is a tough little engine that you can get unbelievable power out of with the right modifications.
I've always wanted to build an extremely lightened Fox Body Mustang with a TC'd 2.3. I think it would make a killer combo for the street and track.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2.3 Mustang