2000 V6 problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2.3 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-04-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to iphonemaster93
2000 V6 problems

Hi there,

This is my first ever post on this forum and forgive me if people have had the same problem but when I discovered there was mustang evolution, I just HAD to get it out of the way. I got my '00 V6 manual trans. just a few months ago (around the end of August) and I am already starting to see some problems with it. I got the car when it had around 133K miles on it and it was in ok condition, but until I actually started to drive it, I noticed these problems. In the early morning, at around 8:00-9:00, when i'm driving on the road, sometimes when I put it into third gear, third gear would grind and I would push in the clutch for a bit longer, move the stick back into neutral, and put it into third again (in which, would work). this has also happened with second gear (it's happened twice) and also sometimes when I first take the car out, even reverse gear grinds. My uncle did tell me it had something to do with the gear synchronization and that I have to get that replaced in order for the gears to stop grinding. Also, whenever i'm driving in a parking lot in second gear, there is always this metal clanking sound (sounds like metal vibrating against something) and I don't know what it is, but if i were to put it back into first gear and only push the clutch halfway in, it doesn't make the sound. Problem is, that's not the only time it happens. When i'm traveling at, say, 25 mph in fifth gear, I also get the same sound. Does anyone know why?

I'm also planning on getting a short shifter because if I put a cup in the cup holder nearest to the shifter, it annoys the h*** out of me because the shifter ALWAYS ends up hitting the cup. My question is, is there any good quality SS out there that is cheap? I'm looking at possibly between $100-$200.Thanks.
iphonemaster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Re: 2000 V6 problems

Hello and welcome...

It does sound like your synchro is bad from the guy that had the car before you... probably shifted way too hard...

I just recently bought a UPR ST shifter for my 98 v6, and it did get rid of the grind when shifting into reverse, but is otherwise not a whole lot different than than the stock shifter other than being a shorter handle... I have a friend that has a MGW, and it is awsome... I like the feel of Hurst shifters too, but they are way too tall (in my opinion) for a mustang's interior... Just search around... Pro 5.0's and Steeda are suppose to be pretty good too... but it's all personal opinion. Try AmericanMuscle.com

As far as the cup holder... that is always a losing battle... just poorly designed interior in these cars... no shifter is gonna fix that issue.

And 25 mph in fifth gear is making noises because you should probably be in 2nd or 3rd gear man... RPMs are too low! I don't know how you don't kill it...
*72 C10, 350, Auto, (my Daily Driver)
bmabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:22 PM   #3

Region: Delaware
This happened to my probe gts and I just let it go and drove on it and three months later I had to replaced my clutch ...
estang85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmabbott View Post
Hello and welcome...

It does sound like your synchro is bad from the guy that had the car before you... probably shifted way too hard...

I just recently bought a UPR ST shifter for my 98 v6, and it did get rid of the grind when shifting into reverse, but is otherwise not a whole lot different than than the stock shifter other than being a shorter handle... I have a friend that has a MGW, and it is awsome... I like the feel of Hurst shifters too, but they are way too tall (in my opinion) for a mustang's interior... Just search around... Pro 5.0's and Steeda are suppose to be pretty good too... but it's all personal opinion. Try AmericanMuscle.com

As far as the cup holder... that is always a losing battle... just poorly designed interior in these cars... no shifter is gonna fix that issue.

And 25 mph in fifth gear is making noises because you should probably be in 2nd or 3rd gear man... RPMs are too low! I don't know how you don't kill it...
I'm thinking the person who owned this car before me modified it for some sort of racing, or just modified it for fun. There is a red knob right underneath the driver's seat, you can twist it but you just CANNOT take it off, idk why. and also, there is no cover below the steering wheel, at least the inner part. and yeah i did research some short shifters, but idk where i can get it from the area i'm from. i did find a solution from google searching to put it into 5th gear first and THEN to reverse, and that seems to work out well for the most part.

haha for the cup holder, i ALWAYS ONLY now put just one cup (the farther one) and that seems to have solved it, but with two people in the car, both having drinks? that's a complete hassle.

what do you mean by kill it? there were a couple times where either the engine sound was too loud or the engine was about to stall so i did have to downshift one, and after i did so everything was fine. but just that metal clanging sound annoys me, i know there's something wrong with it but i can't figure out what it is

---------- Post added at 03:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by estang85 View Post
This happened to my probe gts and I just let it go and drove on it and three months later I had to replaced my clutch ...
yeah i'm planning to just get the entire car THOROUGHLY checked out in a few weeks, hopefully get the major engine parts swapped out, as well as the clutch (i'm finding that even stepping on the clutch a bit during the early morning, it doesn't feel smooth). i hope the car doesn't die on me, as i just got it a few months ago...-____-

---------- Post added at 03:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 AM ----------

Anyways, with my car in this kind of condition, bmabbott and estang85, do you think I could possibly replace any stock parts with performance parts? If i get lucky, for my birthday, I might be able to do some light mods, but i'm not too sure about it. i am definitely planning on a short shifter and thanks for bmabbott for mentioning some brands, but what else could I install IF I could install some? Thanks
Old 12-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #5

Region: Delaware
It wount just kill your car just the clutch lol
estang85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by estang85 View Post
It wount just kill your car just the clutch lol
so I would be driving the car with a useless clutch? lol how does that work? is that even possible?
Old 12-05-2011, 05:52 PM   #7
Road Trip!

There's no way you should be driving in 5th gear at 25 mph.may your clutch is worn or not adjusted properly.if your clutch is worn that could be the reason that your car dosnt stall/die when in to high of gear,because its slipping.check your trans fluid and your clutch adjustment .also don't drive in 5th gear at 25 mph.hope this helps and welcome to the site.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
There's no way you should be driving in 5th gear at 25 mph.may your clutch is worn or not adjusted properly.if your clutch is worn that could be the reason that your car dosnt stall/die when in to high of gear,because its slipping.check your trans fluid and your clutch adjustment .also don't drive in 5th gear at 25 mph.hope this helps and welcome to the site.
really? because i actually tried to see what the slowest speed i could possibly go at in 5th gear and surprisingly enough it was at 19 mph (i was in a residential area with no cars behind me). and i'm pretty sure the clutch wasn't slipping because I was looking at the RPMs and it didn't go down at all, it just either stayed there or went upwards. thanks for helping and thanks haha
Old 12-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonemaster93
really? because i actually tried to see what the slowest speed i could possibly go at in 5th gear and surprisingly enough it was at 19 mph (i was in a residential area with no cars behind me). and i'm pretty sure the clutch wasn't slipping because I was looking at the RPMs and it didn't go down at all, it just either stayed there or went upwards. thanks for helping and thanks haha
Even if your able to drive that slow in 5th and your clutch isn't bad it is def. Not good for the clutch.it will get it hot and can cause premature failure.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Even if your able to drive that slow in 5th and your clutch isn't bad it is def. Not good for the clutch.it will get it hot and can cause premature failure.
oh ok i didn't know that, i'll get the clutch checked for any problems soon, in a few weeks. the only reason why I did it was because I thought I would save some gas, ik the '98-04 models eat up gas really quickly so I try to keep the car moving at less than 2K rpms, if not, between 3K-4K rpms (mostly fourth gear). is it also true that to get better fuel economy, to shift between 1500-2000 rpms or is that depending on the model?
Old 12-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #11
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
It does sound like your synchro's are worn out...reverse is always a pesky one!...by putting it in 5th then reverse you are ”slowing down” (for lack of a better word) the gears in the trans...if your clutch isn't adjusted properly I would suspect that you'd have to push the pedal to the floor to shift into gear smoothly..if that's the case this could be causing the grinding...if your clutch is worn you could notice it feeling like its not completely engaged ”slipping”....
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66 View Post
It does sound like your synchro's are worn out...reverse is always a pesky one!...by putting it in 5th then reverse you are ”slowing down” (for lack of a better word) the gears in the trans...if your clutch isn't adjusted properly I would suspect that you'd have to push the pedal to the floor to shift into gear smoothly..if that's the case this could be causing the grinding...if your clutch is worn you could notice it feeling like its not completely engaged ”slipping”....
oh ok, but is that the only way of preventing reverse gear from grinding? and the funny thing is, sometimes even when I dont step in on the clutch entirely, I can still have the gears fully engaged. i actually don't quite know, it only happens during the mornings but whenever i step on the clutch, it always feels as if...like something is rubbing against my feet, possibly a vibration of some sort, if that's what you mean by 'slipping'
Old 12-05-2011, 06:22 PM   #13
Road Trip!

it is also possible that clutch is to tight.is there any play in the peddal.
usually it is a syncro problem that your describing but it good to check all things before you to a rebuild or replacement of your trans
Old 12-05-2011, 06:24 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
it is also possible that clutch is to tight.is there any play in the peddal.
usually it is a syncro problem that your describing but it good to check all things before you to a rebuild or replacement of your trans
what do you mean by is there any play in the pedal? and yeah i'm gonna have it checked out but most likely i'm gonna have the entire thing replaced (that's a high possibility). how much is it normally to replace the entire trans?
Old 12-05-2011, 06:34 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
what do you mean by is there any play in the pedal? and yeah i'm gonna have it checked out but most likely i'm gonna have the entire thing replaced (that's a high possibility). how much is it normally to replace the entire trans?
you should have about 1/2"-1" of play in the top of the pedal.im not sure on the price for your car but for trans probably 1000-1500 and clutch probably 500-800 if you do at the same time which i would.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
you should have about 1/2"-1" of play in the top of the pedal.im not sure on the price for your car but for trans probably 1000-1500 and clutch probably 500-800 if you do at the same time which i would.
wait i don't get what you mean by 'of play in the top of the pedal' (sorry). and yeah i'm pretty much getting everything checked out and replaced (including tires too)
Old 12-05-2011, 06:40 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:
wait i don't get what you mean by 'of play in the top of the pedal' (sorry). and yeah i'm pretty much getting everything checked out and replaced (including tires too)
the clutch pedal should have no tension on it until it is pushed in 1/2 to 1 inch.other wards it should not be tight until pushed in a little bit.

---------- Post added at 06:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

Quote:
hope they get it figure it out for you.after you get it check out let us kow what they came up with.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:43 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
the clutch pedal should have no tension on it until it is pushed in 1/2 to 1 inch.other wards it should not be tight until pushed in a little bit.

---------- Post added at 06:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

hope they get it figure it out for you.after you get it check out let us kow what they came up with.
i'm actually taking to some guy that my relatives know so i'm not quite sure how much he can do. and yeah sure i'll post an update on it once things are in the process. but for the time being, is there anything i can possibly do to prevent more damages to the trans overall?
Old 12-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #19
Filibuster

Quote:
i'm actually taking to some guy that my relatives know so i'm not quite sure how much he can do. and yeah sure i'll post an update on it once things are in the process. but for the time being, is there anything i can possibly do to prevent more damages to the trans overall?
Granny shift!..lol...just use common sense if you think you're going to break it dont drive it!...but if it seems ok just take it easy until you get your issue fixed!..good luck!!..
Old 12-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Granny shift!..lol...just use common sense if you think you're going to break it dont drive it!...but if it seems ok just take it easy until you get your issue fixed!..good luck!!..
yeah lol i've been granny shifting ever since i knew this car eats up gas really quickly. i've only shifted at above 4000 rpms when i went up against some ppl and when i was driving on some mountain roads and surprisingly enough, the car still performs well. thanks haha
Old 12-05-2011, 06:57 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Quote:
dont shift or drive in high gear with low rpms.
check your trans fluid.
check clutch pedal adjustment( easy to do)

note: if your syncros are bad you will need a full rebuild/replacement no matter what .

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

http://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-...-adjuster.html
Old 12-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
check your trans fluid.

note: if your syncros are bad you will need a full rebuild/replacement no matter what .

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

how to REALLY adjust your clutch (w/out an adjuster!) - MustangForums.com
this just reminds me of how bad the person left the car when they sold it with the car in this condition...wait are you able to check the trans fluid with any of the gauges within the car or do I have to lift up the hood and check from there? sorry...i'm not that good with the mechanical parts. and how do u check the clutch pedal adjustment?
Old 12-05-2011, 07:08 PM   #23
Filibuster

Quote:
this just reminds me of how bad the person left the car when they sold it with the car in this condition...wait are you able to check the trans fluid with any of the gauges within the car or do I have to lift up the hood and check from there? sorry...i'm not that good with the mechanical parts. and how do u check the clutch pedal adjustment?
Manual trans's have check fill plugs on the side of the trans itself!...
And if you have the stock quadrant the link dreamstang posted explains it...the easy way is just to simply lift up on the clutch pedal...its ”self adjusting” so that will take up the slack in the cable that is caused by normal clutch wear..
Old 12-05-2011, 07:12 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
check your trans fluid.

how to REALLY adjust your clutch (w/out an adjuster!) - MustangForums.com
o....k i got lost with the instructions...all I got was pull the clutch toward the driver's seat and that's it...

---------- Post added at 01:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 AM ----------

Quote:
Manual trans's have check fill plugs on the side of the trans itself!...
And if you have the stock quadrant the link dreamstang explains it...the easy way is just to simply lift up on the clutch pedal...its ”self adjusting” so that will take up the slack in the cable that is caused by normal clutch wear..
So the gauge that's either on top/bottom of the gauge for the battery isn't for the trans. fluid?
Old 12-05-2011, 07:20 PM   #25
Filibuster

The only gauge for a trans would be trans temp and those are not stock..
if you're not sure how to check it a full service maintenance shop should check it for free..not sure on the 2000 v6 but my trans says if its full its fine dont change it!..so unless its leakin you should be ok on fluid,but never a bad idea to have it checked!!.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
You shouldn't be in fifth gear at 25 miles an hour that alone will cause problems.
Ilovemustangs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The only gauge for a trans would be trans temp and those are not stock..
if you're not sure how to check it a full service maintenance shop should check it for free..not sure on the 2000 v6 but my trans says if its full its fine dont change it!..so unless its leakin you should be ok on fluid,but never a bad idea to have it checked!!.
I don't think it is leaking...the only place where I have found leaking was through the exhaust but that's normal right?

---------- Post added at 03:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemustangs88 View Post
You shouldn't be in fifth gear at 25 miles an hour that alone will cause problems.
Ok, thanks for the tip

---------- Post added at 03:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 AM ----------

is there anything I should be aware of? other than the clutch, the trans fluid, and being at a high gear at a low speed?
Also, I won't be able to get the car checked out until after the 17th, is that too long to wait out on the clutch or is it a necessity that I get the clutch and everything checked out sooner? My dad is coming back to the U.S. and that's when I plan on taking it in
Old 12-05-2011, 09:56 PM   #28
Road Trip!

Quote:
I don't think it is leaking...the only place where I have found leaking was through the exhaust but that's normal right?

---------- Post added at 03:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 AM ----------

Ok, thanks for the tip

---------- Post added at 03:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 AM ----------

is there anything I should be aware of? other than the clutch, the trans fluid, and being at a high gear at a low speed?
Also, I won't be able to get the car checked out until after the 17th, is that too long to wait out on the clutch or is it a necessity that I get the clutch and everything checked out sooner? My dad is coming back to the U.S. and that's when I plan on taking it in
U should be ok.the high gear low rpm thing alone will cause vibrating and rattling.if your problem gets worse then be cautious of breaking down.that's about it.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
U should be ok.the high gear low rpm thing alone will cause vibrating and rattling.if your problem gets worse then be cautious of breaking down.that's about it.
ok. so all i have to do is make sure to shift at low rpms and to stay at like around 3000 rpms for each gear?
Old 12-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #30
Road Trip!

Quote:
ok. so all i have to do is make sure to shift at low rpms and to stay at like around 3000 rpms for each gear?
In normal driving :
Shift at 3000-3500
Faster driving shift higher rpms
Cruise at around:
1500-2500 depending on gear

Just ball park to give u an idea.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:29 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
In normal driving :
Shift at 3000-3500
Faster driving shift higher rpms
Cruise at around:
1500-2500 depending on gear

Just ball park to give u an idea.
ok, thanks for the info, but won't shifting at 3000-3500 rpms waste more gas or will it make a difference?
Old 12-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #32
Road Trip!

Quote:
ok, thanks for the info, but won't shifting at 3000-3500 rpms waste more gas or will it make a difference?
No,it may even help as long as your not romping the pedal.when u shift to low ur motor struggles a lot more to make the car move.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:37 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No,it may even help as long as your not romping the pedal.when u shift to low ur motor struggles a lot more to make the car move.
oh ok, i actually tend to somewhat floor it from 0-50 but that's if i'm rushing somewhere. if i dont, then it normally takes me about like 5+ seconds to get to 40
Old 12-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #34
Road Trip!

Quote:
oh ok, i actually tend to somewhat floor it from 0-50 but that's if i'm rushing somewhere. if i dont, then it normally takes me about like 5+ seconds to get to 40
That's fine.all I'm saying is the harder you are one the pedal the worse the gas milage.I drive with a heavy foot also.if your trying to go real fast and not worry about gas milage you can shift closer to redline.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:48 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's fine.all I'm saying is the harder you are one the pedal the worse the gas milage.I drive with a heavy foot also.if your trying to go real fast and not worry about gas milage you can shift closer to redline.
yeah that's what I thought too so i only floor it if i'm like racing ppl or just rushing. Yeah when I went up against a few peeps at my school I went all the way to 5500 rpm (start of redline). wait but does shifting close to redline have anything to do with the timing belt? because my timing belt, ever since i got the car, it had signs of possible cracks forming and I haven't checked it since then but i'm pretty sure there are no cracks yet. would being close to redlining it effect the timing belt at all?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2.3 Mustang