What should i do?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2.3 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
What should i do??

Should I put a turbo on my 89 2.3, and buy this 83 5.0( slightly wrecked) and keep both? Or swap the motors from the hatchback 83 to the trunk car 89, and sell the parts.. Please help me out, thanks.
Bily Pepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Depends on the amount of boost you want to run, your 2.3 was not built with the internals to handle alot. I've done a v8 swap before and it's amazing how easy it is if you have any mechanic skills at all. I also have a 2.3 93' coupe as stated in our last back and forth thread. I plan to go ahead and turbo it in the next year or so and start with about 5-6 psi. I'm a major v8 fan but no one around here has a boosted 4cyl fox body I know of so that is my main reasoning for the 2.3. Your best bet with the turbo is to find a 86 and above thunderbird turbo coupe that has all the components you will need and an engine built to handle it. Don't get me wrong though, a stock 2.3 is a tough motor but I have a feeling the stock pistons won't last long with the extra heat from the turbo.
Loudmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Which option is easier, or makes more sense to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

If you have the opportunity to pick up a donor car pretty cheap, a wrecked 83 should run around 800-1500 depending on the damage, is the way to go as you will have a complete donor car. If the 83 is a 5 speed it makes even more sense...if manual tranny is your desire. Parts are also more abundant and cheaper for the 5.0's. To swap your 2.3 to a turbo and do it right will run over a grand, and that's if you build the engine yourself. In closing, unless you just want a turbo fourbanger, put in the 50. Coupes rule
Old 01-30-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I was hoping you'd say, a 5.0 has that certain, heart warming sound to it. And the availability of parts is a plus too. Thanks a lot, this is the only place I could get realistic answers from.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

If you don't mind me asking, what is the price on the 83
Old 01-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

The guy said he'd work with me in the price, but he said 1500, it also needs a new flywheel and starter.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2.3 Mustang