2.3 turbo build - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2.3 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #106
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Stock IHI. I think I might go with a Garrett or holset in the future. I wanna run in the neighborhood of 25lbs of boost.
BigRed1781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #107
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Stock svo garret runs 23lbs and works good I'm trying to find one

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

Right now I got a turbo off a dura max it's to big
Old 10-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #108

Region: California
[B]New ecu & still nothing. So I'm gonna drop the steering column & start checking wires.
Great build man, im doing the same swap with a 84 svo motor to a 88 coupe. Do you still have the spare ecu im currently look for one let me know.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #109
Registered Member
Regular

The other one I had is fried.

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 PM ----------

Check the ignition switch, they have a tendency to go bad.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #110
Registered Member
Regular

If you are having trouble finding a ecu there are places that sell remaned ones. That's what's in my car now.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #111

Region: Florida
quicktime bellhousings sell a ford 2.3 to t56 bellhousing. there also like 500 bucks. but i have a IRS in my coupe it took all but 4 hours to do in my drive way. im doing a 2.3tc with a t56 behind it.

Quick Time BellHousing RM-4056 Quick Time Bellhousings
mustang2.3_irs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #112
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks to a generous cousin the stang is up & running again. He just gave me a turbo. It's an IHI same as before. Running good, but my waste gate isn't working right. I think the hose going to it isn't tight, it worked before so it's probably just something simple. I'm looking into another Mustang, cause I might do something different with the 2.3t. Looking into a different body for it, something much lighter. Not necessarily a Ford body though, so I don't want to say right now cause it might upset some people lol. I would like to find a new edge like an 03 04. Cause a Mustang is a must have.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #113
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed1781
Thanks to a generous cousin the stang is up & running again. He just gave me a turbo. It's an IHI same as before. Running good, but my waste gate isn't working right. I think the hose going to it isn't tight, it worked before so it's probably just something simple. I'm looking into another Mustang, cause I might do something different with the 2.3t. Looking into a different body for it, something much lighter. Not necessarily a Ford body though, so I don't want to say right now cause it might upset some people lol. I would like to find a new edge like an 03 04. Cause a Mustang is a must have.
The Ihi is crap it barley keeps up with a stock tc get a stock svo turbo it will go up to 23psi
Old 11-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #114
Registered Member
Regular

True, but the IHI gives full boost at 1800-2000 rpm. Plus it was free.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #115
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
True, but the IHI gives full boost at 1800-2000 rpm. Plus it was free.
Lol sold mine to a guy who's turbo charging his razor
Old 11-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #116
Registered Member
Regular

Do you mean a shaving razor, cause that might be dangerous or one of those scooters? Cause that might be fun.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #117
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford

Lol sold mine to a guy who's turbo charging his razor
Or do you mean Polaris?
93mstnglx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:15 AM   #118
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93mstnglx

Or do you mean Polaris?
Polaris and he bought my stock inner cooler to I need to see if he ever did it
Old 11-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #119
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford

Polaris and he bought my stock inner cooler to I need to see if he ever did it
Cool! I bet that thing is sick!
Old 11-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #120
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93mstnglx

Cool! I bet that thing is sick!
Idk if he did it or not but yeah that would be awesome
Old 12-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #121
Registered Member
Regular

Bad news updates. My wife & her friend were driving home Saturday morning & hit a deer in the stang. She swerved to miss it & went off the shoulder. There was a tree stump sticking up. When the driver side fire wall hit the stump the car stopped instantly. The driver side fire wall behind the pedals was pushed back more than a foot. My wife & her passenger were both badly injured. My wife has a shattered ankle & broken nose. The passenger was banged up pretty bad but nothing life threatening. So now I'm looking for a new body. I'm thinking maybe a pinto.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #122
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed1781 View Post
Bad news updates. My wife & her friend were driving home Saturday morning & hit a deer in the stang. She swerved to miss it & went off the shoulder. There was a tree stump sticking up. When the driver side fire wall hit the stump the car stopped instantly. The driver side fire wall behind the pedals was pushed back more than a foot. My wife & her passenger were both badly injured. My wife has a shattered ankle & broken nose. The passenger was banged up pretty bad but nothing life threatening. So now I'm looking for a new body. I'm thinking maybe a pinto.
Oh my gosh man that sucks man, sorry to hear this! Glad no one died though
Old 12-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #123
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you
Old 12-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #124
Registered Member
Regular

Just found out. I will be getting what's left of the stang back & a check for $1800. The next project will be starting soon.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #125
Road Trip!

Quote:
Just found out. I will be getting what's left of the stang back & a check for $1800. The next project will be starting soon.
Good to hear!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #126
Registered Member
Regular

I think I found my new body. It's not a stang though. It will definitely be a blast. 62 karmann ghia.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #127
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think I found my new body. It's not a stang though. It will definitely be a blast. 62 karmann ghia.
No I would get a mustang coupe and make another sleeper keep the 10 hole wheels and everything
Old 01-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #128

Region: Missouri
Smile Words of warning about the Ghia (aka sorry for the really long post)

I have a similar ghia project... I had a 1990 mustang 2.3 turbo swap that a tree had fallen on, so like you I started looking for a new home for my engine.
Bought a 1957 Ghia that someone had a "pinto beans" engine swap. It had a 2.0l ford in it and a early falcon radiator mounted up front, where the spare tire would normally be with an electric fan and a home-made shroud that went from the radiator to the gas tank. It had hard lines (approx 1 1/4" ran to the rear. It had the esslinger flywheel and adaptor plate. It had a long tube header, a modified cam cover, dual Delorto carbs and a magneto setup. The rear lid (hood) had a hole cut in the apex of the downward curve to clear the cam gear and box fabbed over the hole with a Porsche type spoiler to cover the whole thing. So basically all done except the engine was shot. The previous owner had put corvette air shocks to help offset the extra rear weight. The battery was moved forward and under the rear seat on the passenger side. A roll bar was welded through the floor to help with stiffness. The body was also welded to the pan. The rear sheet metal had all been cut out from the engine back and pullies barely cleared the rear lid. I did put a new roll pan behind the motor to clean up the looks but I made it so that it bolts out for easy engine removal. The crank pully clears that bit of sheet metal by just a hair.

So, to make a short story long, I had found a retired 2.0l ford dirt track race engine used as a backup and was able to get it cheap. Decided to put this into the car to work out other issues while planning my 2.3 turbo swap. The 2.0 I put in the car has had some serious head work, my old 351c 4v would be envious of these ports. I would guess it makes somewhere between 170 - 200 hp (probably closer to the 170 mark).

So, the vw starter won't turn this thing over, probably won't be a problem with the 2.3 as this 2.0 has a lot of compression. Had to get a high torque starter. First time I had this fired up, I spent most of the time fixing minor annoyances, oil pan gasket leak was an easy fix as this thing is just hanging out in space. Water pump was shot, again an easy fix. I finally got all the basic issues sorted, bleeding the air out of that much cooling lines took a while. By this time Winter had set in (last year) and there was snow on the ground, but since I finally had the thing running well enough to drive I couldn't resist taking it for a spin. After warming up and taking a few spins around the block I was sitting on an uphill incline in about 2" of slush. I revved it up to about 2500, found my point of clutch friction and went into what I thought would be a soft snowy burnout of sorts but instead the thing found pavement, hooked up and lifted the front of the car dragging the rear drivers corner which fortunately was just exhaust. I realized at this point that some addition stiffening was needed to keep the engine from torquing the car around. So, I kept my foot out of it from that point until I could figure a way to sort my suspension.

As soon as the weather was a bit warmer I took it for a drive on the highway to find out if it could make the 15min trip back and forth to work. That first trip on the highway was a white knuckled, terrifying experience and not in a a good way. Below 50 it felt like it handled really well but once at highway speed it was all I could do to keep it in my lane. It swung from one side of the lane to the other. The only thing I can compare it to would be a tank slapper scenario on a bike.

Ok, so I did some studying to find out the cause of this malody.
It would appear that the car didn't like the extra weight out back. the VW engine weighs around 270lbs complete the 2.0l around 320 or so, but this one has no accessories and the battery had been relocated and a lot of sheet metal had been removed so I don't think it's really that far off. I mention the because the weight of the 2.3 with turbo is somewhere around 370+lbs so you will be adding 100lbs to the very tail of the car. on a car that only weighs a little over 2000lbs to begin with, this is significant. Also of note the 2.3 is extremely top heavy compared to the flat 4 that comes in the ghia which only amplifies the problem.

To combat all these issues, I first off added a Kafer bar. this is a bar that connects across the top of the rear shock towers like a strut but then has triangulated bars that tie from each side of this bar down to the frame horn essentially connecting all the most flexible parts of the car together. This totally removed any twisting resulting from the engine. but the car still didn't handle very well. I set up the front beam so I could adjust the front height of the car up and down a it and got rid of the air shocks which weren't really valved right or had the correct travel for the ghia and put in some vw shocks that had over load springs that you could adjust like a motorcycle rear spring. The new rear shocks caused the car to sit to high in the back which caused the suspension to jack and the car kept trying to swap ends and was more dangerous than ever on the highway. I eventually ended up with KY Gas-Adjust shocks that seem to be stiff enough to deal with the extra rear weight without being to stiff to function. I also installed a midmount brace for transmission because I had torn the front transmission mount and that had generated some new up and down motion on the motor. Finally the car felt safe to drive up to about 70 but still a it skittish after that. I feel an air dam is needed to keep the front from raising as airspeed increases.

Another problem to be over come is the stock VW trans-axle is really only good for about 200 hp. and by the time you get it all tied down so there is no twisting in the rear, transmits quite a bit of racket to the interior of the car. This thing was geared for a top speed of 70 and as such, with the tallest tires I can fit on this car, I'm still turning more than 3000 rpm on the highway. It really needs, what the VW crowd refers to as a highway flier trans-axle that has a much taller top gear (lower numerically). The cost of a new transmission built to hold 300hp with a friendlier highway gear is more expensive than I have been able to justify as yet.

Then there is cooling issues. Running at 3000+rpm for any length of time in summer has been hard to keep cool. There is not a very large opening in the front of this car for cool air and even worse is that the trunk space is sealed up a bit too much for get warm air evacuation. You could luver the hood but I'm personally not a big fan, I'm going to try and remove some more sheet metal from the spare tire well, but there is only so much there as it buts up against the gas tank.

So, all that to say, the obstacles I see in the project are..
1. Cooling, radiator and lines...
2. Bracing the rear as the 2.3 will torque the pan. weld the pan to the frame, kafer bar is a must (beware not all kafer bars are made equal, do your research)and I would recommend the mid-mount tranny brace.
3. Ballast the front to compensate for added rear weight. I am thinking of moving my battery up there.
4. Trans-axle. The stock one is on borrowed time when using with a 2.3 turbo. If your Ghia has independent rear suspension (It should be a swing axle if 62), know that the axles and CV joints are a known weak area.
5. Prepare to either run without a rear lid (hood) or be ready to make some major modifications to cover the new engine. The cam pully will definitely not clear. The cam cover will need the front oil filler spout removed and the hole welded shut and move it to the rear. I also suspect that the upper intake will hit the lid. even if using a later short one. There isn't enough room to route intake tubing in front of the engine or rear. It will have to go over or under. There is space either on the left or right for a small intercooler but again, piping will be an issue.

After all this, I still can't get my car to handle well at highway speeds but below 50 it's like a slot car and it can get to 60 faster than than my wife's 01 cobra. It gets more attention than anything else I own. It's a blast stoplight to stop light.

I don't want to discourage you from your project, just wanted to help you know what your getting into and hopefully ad-void some of the pitfalls I have hit along the way. (seriously don't get on it till you have a kafer and a mid-mount brace)

If I can offer any help, just let me know, I would be glad offer any advice I can but I'm just a shade tree bum stumbling around in the dark myself. This german stuff is all new to me, but couldn't be simpler to work on.
nephelim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #129
Registered Member
Regular

So a new project begins, but this time the some restoration involved. I recently captured my white whale, so to speak. I got a 86 SVO. The hardest part is locating all the parts to replace the whole nose, front bumper, header panel, headlight adjusters & headlights, & parking lights. It came with a 3" dp, 8.8 rear swapped in. Still has the stock Hurst sts. Lower ball joints are shot, which means soon I'll be swapping in 94-95 spindles so I can use the Lower control arms & ball joints. In the process of mounting & plumbing a fmic. In the process of making a custom front facing upper intake. So the journey begins again.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:27 AM   #130
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So a new project begins, but this time the some restoration involved. I recently captured my white whale, so to speak. I got a 86 SVO. The hardest part is locating all the parts to replace the whole nose, front bumper, header panel, headlight adjusters & headlights, & parking lights. It came with a 3" dp, 8.8 rear swapped in. Still has the stock Hurst sts. Lower ball joints are shot, which means soon I'll be swapping in 94-95 spindles so I can use the Lower control arms & ball joints. In the process of mounting & plumbing a fmic. In the process of making a custom front facing upper intake. So the journey begins again.
Good freakin luck man those side marker lights aren't made anywhere and hardly anyone sells em .... Hope it works out for you
Old 09-03-2013, 11:33 PM   #131

Region: New Jersey
Rockauto.com will have parts for it I know cause I use them for mine. As far for lights go to latemodelrestoration.com or Americanmuscle.com go to light section and take your pick of stock style head lights or aftermarket They got it all those 3 websites
Pl1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #132
Registered Member
Regular

I've checked all those places & then some & haven't found any anywhere. Could you post up some links. I'd love to find new ones. I've found one set of nos headlights for $400. I have found a few things. A handmade repro header panel for $800. Handmade repro headlight adjusters for a $100. And a nos front bumper for $500. Now just coming up with the $ for it all.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:19 AM   #133
Registered Member

I'm working on an svo clone out of my 86 notchback 4 cyl. Mines just beginning but your thread was very interesting and brought up some points I hadn't thought about.

Make sure to update on that svo of yours!

Currently- 1986 2.3L lx notchback, conversion to SVO 2.3L turbo automatic notchback.
xCrystalxMariex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:46 AM   #134
Registered Member
Regular

Great thread. Can't wait for the next post.

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2.3 Mustang