Mustang Evolution Forum banner

"T" Handle Shifter Swap

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  93mstnglx 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright, so I don't about you guys, but I got tired of looking at the "T" Handle shifter in my 93, and after seeing what OneBad3.7 did with the shifter in his newer v6, I decided to try it in my car. So this is a little write-up on the way I did it so that if any of you have thought of doing this you will know what's involved.

So this is what I started with, it's my stock shifter:
Vehicle Car Center console

To remove the "T" handle you need to loosen a set screw on the side of the handle that faces you radio, I found that if you shift it in to 1st gear that it is much easier to get to this set screw:
Auto part

This is pointing out where the set screw is:
Finger Hand Thumb

Now that you have loosened up the set screw it is time to take the "T" off, don't be gentle it takes a lot of force to pop it off but it should pop off if you pull on it hard enough, this is what you should see once it is off:
Vehicle Car Technology Vehicle audio Center console

Vehicle Car Center console Gear shift Family car

Now comes time to put a shift boot on(if you want, I did), you will need to take this trim ring off:
Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle Vehicle door Bumper
and make sure the shift boot goes around the shifting mechanism, this is the boot I chose (it has elastic around the bottom so it stayed in place while I put the trim ring back on) :
Bicycle part Auto part Carbon Personal protective equipment Vehicle

Now you can put the trim ring back in place.

Now you are ready to put the manual trans shift knob on (any will work as long as it has a 1\2" hole), this is the one I chose to use:
Grass Hand

Hand Grass Finger Plant

Because mine is a little on the heavy side, I needed a spring to help it come up after selecting a gear, so I took the one out of the "T" handle(turn it over so the button falls out and the spring will follow it), here's a pic of the spring:

Auto part Finger
and this is where it needs to be placed:

Center console Vehicle audio Vehicle Car Gear shift

Now you can put your shift knob on, it may be a little loose, so until I figure something better I wrapped some black electrical tape around the shifter shaft just enough to make it snug
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Center console Gear shift

And now you have gotten rid of the funny looking "T" handle for a stylish shift knob, here's my finished product:
Vehicle Car Vehicle door Automotive lighting Luxury vehicle

Gear shift Vehicle Car Auto part Center console

Have fun, hope this can help anyone!

P.S. This is my first write-up

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.