Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Cold Air Intake?

Tags
cai
2K views 30 replies 3 participants last post by  itsA4cylBro 
#1 ·
Thinking about putting one one my mustang but not sure if its worth it? Can you tell a difference in horsepower? How much would it cost?

#7 ·
OK here is my build list

I will give prices too, it's been a while:

Pipe( I had my local exhaust shop bend me a piece of exhaust pipe to match up with the stock air box) $10.00

2x Rubber Couplers (got them from the hardware store, I think they are 2.5" dia. perfect fit) About $2.50 each

Cone Filter (from Advanced Auto Parts) $23.99

Mass Air Flow(MAF) Adapter (also from Advanced Auto Parts) $10 or $15

Also you will need bolts to attach the MAF to the MAF adapter

And I Plasti-Dipped my pipe, purely for looks, and you will need some way to mount it, I just took some sheet metal I had laying around for it to sit on

Good Luck!

If you have any questions feel free to message me, or post it!

#10 ·
2.3Foxbody said:
My dad said something about a box to put around the filter so it's not pulling the heat from the engine. Where would I get one?
You might be able to find one online somewhere but I've heard of and seen people use a Rubbermaid plastic 5 gallon trash can and cutting it to fit, or you could get some sheet metal and make one

#12 ·
2.3Foxbody said:
I'm guessing it'll make more HP if I have a box?
Yeah a little bit because the air is cooler than without, mine doesn't have a box yet :/ I'll probably spend the $4 or $5 on a Rubbermaid and try it and if I do I'll le y'all know how it works :)

#17 ·
Remove your cats . Get a magnaflow muffler sounds mean. Get some lightweight pulleys just not the crankone .

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

Just make your cat removal bolt on so when u need to pass smog . Oh and use 91 gas :D

#18 ·
itsA4cylBro said:
Remove your cats . Get a magnaflow muffler sounds mean. Get some lightweight pulleys just not the crankone .

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

Just make your cat removal bolt on so when u need to pass smog . Oh and use 91 gas :D
Just so you know I'm only 17 and don't understand some of this. Haha

#19 ·
2.3Foxbody said:
Just so you know I'm only 17 and don't understand some of this. Haha
The catalytic converters are the big oval shaped things, one you can see from under the hood and the other one is under the car, and the pulleys are what tour belts run on and he forgot a space between crank and one, so light pulleys other than the crank pulley and smog is the emissions control stuff some states randomly check vehicles to make sure they have the proper equipment. (I don't know what you don't know that's why I covered all of it :))

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.