Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Air conditioning delete

1K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  82StangRebuild 
#1 ·
How would I go about stripping out my A/C correctly??

#2 ·
Have the system vacuumed out to remove any freon, then remove and seal the components inlets and outlets in case you ever want to use them again.

#7 ·
U don't really need to go get it all vacummed . And waste that money. Just get a big thick rag and a screw driver and push the nipple in for the air can come out lol. I did it. Not so bad then once pressure really low just disconnect lines . Don't be scared ull hear a lil air come out but its nothing

#8 ·
Don't do that. It's illegal and it's not a waste of money to have it vacuumed out.
Vacuuming the system out helps to remove moisture and contaminants that can rust the system internally while it is stored. Also, that is not air that comes out it is freon.

I used plastic pipe caps and rubber electrical tape to seal mine up so if I ever wanted to use it again it won't be rusted or contaminated internally.

#11 ·
:lol: No, oil won't rust at all, but when you expose the internals to outside air like stated.....

#10 ·
itsA4cylBro said:
Ehh don't really think it happens. It has oil remember . Oil takes a very very very long time to rust
It happens. Keep in mind when you disconnect the lines the inside of the pump is exposed to air. Once that happens it allows the internals to condensate which can cause it to rust. It doesn't take as long as you think.

#12 ·
itsA4cylBro said:
Ehh don't really think it happens. It has oil remember . Oil takes a very very very long time to rust
Yeah you are right '' oil will not rust'' but your internal components of the compressor will. I moisture in the air creates havoc on any HVAC System from a car size unit to a industrial size unit. Vacuum the system and cap off any pipe or fitting that will allow air into the compressor or remaining lines on the car. Plus it is illegal to allow Freon to escape into the atmosphere.

#13 ·
Thanks for the verification post. :good:

#16 ·
93mstnglx said:
Quick question, why do you want to get rid of your AC?
We'll it doesn't even work in the car anyway so Im taking it out to lose some unneeded weight and have more room for my cold air intake. Thinking about swapping my 2.3 for my 2.3 turbo I got in my 88 thunderbird coupe since I don't drive it at all and build it from there

#17 ·
82StangRebuild said:
We'll it doesn't even work in the car anyway so Im taking it out to lose some unneeded weight and have more room for my cold air intake. Thinking about swapping my 2.3 for my 2.3 turbo I got in my 88 thunderbird coupe since I don't drive it at all and build it from there
OK I get that I've thought of that before since my AC compressor clutch went out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.