I have a 91 Mustang LX 2.3L and need some help with performance parts.? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2.3 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-25-2010, 11:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 91 Mustang LX 2.3L and need some help with performance parts.?

I know that I can put an SVO or T-Bird turbo engine in my car, but I was wondering about all the little parts. I plan to drop my catalytic converter and get a new exhaust, along with new spark plugs and a K&N air filter. Any reccomendations on parts? (This is my first car.. and I'm pretty new to working with cars)
westin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Although I agree with quite a bit what cowboy has told you, there are many bolt ons that will help you out. If you enjoy the car, and are not looking to replace it, then by all means do what yor feel is right.

Exhaust will be you best start. There are so many different exhausts to choose from, and every person will give you what they think is the best. Try to jump on a couple of mustang forums, they often have sound clips with different exhaust set ups. Remember if you plan to remove your catalytic converter, you will have to either purchase mil-eliminators, or have your computer chip re-programmed.

K&N filter along with a cold air intake would be another great bolt on. Many cold air intakes will give you between 15-30 RWH. You can go further with this by purchasing a new throttle boby, intake plenum, and a new MAF (mass air flow censor/meter).

Rear end Gears: Although this will not add horsepower, it will get you from point a to point b alot faster. .373 gears are probably the most popular gear, and still works great on the street.

There are many other parts you can add. Look on some of the mustang forums to help you out.

Good luck, and keep that mustang alive.........
milward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

No offense but if I were you I would simply save my money and buy a Mustang with a V8. No amount of turbos or exhaust mods will get you the torque of a V8. The 2.3 was a terrible engine -- heavy, slow, noisy and thirsty. The only thing it has going for it is reliability -- so drive it for a year and save your money. There are thousands of Mustangs out there that can be had for a song (I purchased my '97 GT for $4,500 three years ago) and it has enough HP and torque bone stock to assure I lose my license for ten years if I don't keep my speed in check.
botulf87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Not much you can do with that stock block, get a used turbo coupe engine and go from there. Join a turbo group, learn about mapping, intercoolers and wastegates and boost controlers... Lots of fun!
lorren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

If you own a Mustang you DO need help!!!!
llyr is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2.3 Mustang