1981 mustang notchback idle. help? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2.3 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-24-2011, 05:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

1981 mustang notchback idle. help?

im 17 and this is my first car. i dont drive it yet though. i bought it off a guy about 3 or 4 months ago i got it for 1400, its only a 4 cylinder motor till i get more money, its got 59k origonal miles. he said it sat for 5 years. so when i go to start it it starts but it doesnt want to idle. it will seem like it wants to shut off. and if i put the petal to the floor fast it will almost shut off. then i take it off and it will still idle funnny. also if i give it a little gas then let off the rpms will still fall below 10, but if i do let it idle long enough the rpms will be a steady 10. soo.. whats the problem? is it just needing a tuneup?
eoghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2011, 05:58 AM   #2
tab

i sort of agree, car sat for years. change fuel as gas is stale (fuel goes stale after about a year if it doesnt get used) and the filters. and stick foot hard down and hold it there for a long while. as the car hasnt been used at highway speed for a long time. dont expect it to do it straight away also a fuel cleaner in the tank will help to get rid of some of the dirt in the lines. then give it a tune up after it is running well.
tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:32 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Sat for years, so bet the carb is full of evaporated gas deposits, as is the fuel pump. Get a spray can of starting spray & shoot some right down the carb. If it runs with the starting spray, then the problem is in the fuel system.
coty is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2.3 Mustang

Tags
1981 mustang