Timing belt to chain switch? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2.3 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Timing belt to chain switch?

OK, I know my 2.3 has a timing belt, but I am wondering if it is possible to switch to a timing chain and whether or not it would be a smart thing to do? Thanks
93mstnglx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
The belt is pretty long and uses a tensioner.. I won't say it can't be done but I doubt it'd be worth the hassle and money involved. Btw it's not difficult to replace and if your not sure of the age it def best to do before it breaks.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
to my knowledge no one makes a conversion kit. why would you want to change to a chain though? it would require that you lubricate the chain somehow to prevent it seizing and breaking, and the chain would be quite noisy besides. the timing belt is a much better system for an overhead cam engine. if you have ever heard a sohc 427 ford motor run, you would know what i am talking about. those things had overhead cams and a 6ft long timing chain. they were noisy as heck.
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
The belt is pretty long and uses a tensioner.. I won't say it can't be done but I doubt it'd be worth the hassle and money involved. Btw it's not difficult to replace and if your not sure of the age it def best to do before it breaks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
to my knowledge no one makes a conversion kit. why would you want to change to a chain though? it would require that you lubricate the chain somehow to prevent it seizing and breaking, and the chain would be quite noisy besides. the timing belt is a much better system for an overhead cam engine. if you have ever heard a sohc 427 ford motor run, you would know what i am talking about. those things had overhead cams and a 6ft long timing chain. they were noisy as heck.

Thanks guys I need to look into replacing mine because I have no clue how old it is I can only assume it's the one Ford pit on it when it rolled off the assembly line .

And as to why would I want to go to a chain, I don't really, but my dad has this whole thing against timing belts for some reason.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93mstnglx View Post

Thanks guys I need to look into replacing mine because I have no clue how old it is I can only assume it's the one Ford pit on it when it rolled off the assembly line .

And as to why would I want to go to a chain, I don't really, but my dad has this whole thing against timing belts for some reason.
Helped a friend do his last year I think. If you do it yourself(no that difficult) follow the procedure to the letter. Replace the idler pulley and tensioner while your doing it.. Will save time and money in the future.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:

Helped a friend do his last year I think. If you do it yourself(no that difficult) follow the procedure to the letter. Replace the idler pulley and tensioner while your doing it.. Will save time and money in the future.
Thanks
Old 02-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yeah, now is a good time to replace it. the job isnt hard, and i second replacing the idler tensioner as well.

Quote:
tell your dad to check out the nascar engines, they are using timing belts these days for better reliability and less vibration transfer to the cam.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:

yeah, now is a good time to replace it. the job isnt hard, and i second replacing the idler tensioner as well.

tell your dad to check out the nascar engines, they are using timing belts these days for better reliability and less vibration transfer to the cam.
I didn't know NASCAR used belts cool!
Old 02-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I didn't know NASCAR used belts cool!
yep, in fact ford motorsport used to sell a timing belt kit for small and big block engines. they might still sell them, but i havent seen them in the catalog i have.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:

yep, in fact ford motorsport used to sell a timing belt kit for small and big block engines. they might still sell them, but i havent seen them in the catalog i have.
Cool!!
Old 02-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

NASCAR actually just switched to fuel injection and they don't race in the rain.. I personally don't hold them very high.. Just just my opinions though..
Old 02-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
NASCAR actually just switched to fuel injection and they don't race in the rain.. I personally don't hold them very high.. Just just my opinions though..
+11
Cobrarunnin9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:34 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i dare you to put on slick tires, and try to run 195 at daytona in the rain. in fact you can put on rain tires, and try to run 195 in the rain. remember that there will be 42 other cars running with you.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:

i dare you to put on slick tires, and try to run 195 at daytona in the rain. in fact you can put on rain tires, and try to run 195 in the rain. remember that there will be 42 other cars running with you.
It's called a rain tire and all other major forms of racing do it including world class GP racing, motorcycles.. Guys in Moto GP push 200 in the rain and knee drag, as well as WSB and AMA..

Word has it that NASCAR is moving toward racing in the rain..
Old 02-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's called a rain tire and all other major forms of racing do it including world class GP racing, motorcycles.. Guys in Moto GP push 200 in the rain and knee drag, as well as WSB and AMA..
Word has it that NASCAR is moving toward racing in the rain..
thats fine for road courses, in fact nascar did run in the rain at one track, montreal in fact, in the nationwide series. but understand that these are 3400lb racecars on fairly narrow tires. they dont do well in the rain especially on the ovals.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2.3 Mustang