Gas smell after full tank of gas - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2.3 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arcadia
Region: Florida
Posts: 2,785
Gas smell after full tank of gas

Hey guys, I just put a full tank of regular pump gas in my 2.3 and after sitting overnight I'm smelling gas. I'm wondering if any one else has or had this problem before or can keep me figure out why it's happening. Thanks
93mstnglx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arcadia
Region: Florida
Posts: 2,785
I forgot to mention I don't put a full tank in all the time
93mstnglx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arcadia
Region: Florida
Posts: 2,785
Ok it seems to be an overfilled tank, I think, there is some gas residue on the back of the tank and a couple of spots in. the ground where she was sitting
93mstnglx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
looks like you answered your own question
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #5
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arcadia
Region: Florida
Posts: 2,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
looks like you answered your own question
Yeah I kind of did lol : p
93mstnglx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
rbohm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: tucson
Region: Arizona
Posts: 161
it sounds to me like the hose between the filler neck and the tank is leaking. its time to replace it.
__________________
my mind is aglow with whirling transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.
rbohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:51 PM   #7
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arcadia
Region: Florida
Posts: 2,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm
it sounds to me like the hose between the filler neck and the tank is leaking. its time to replace it.
When I was looking at it earlier it looked that way , thanks
93mstnglx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
itsA4cylBro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: California
Posts: 283
There's also a gas evaporation valve on top with a hose and a seal. That seal always seems to rot on most cars my rotted big time so gas kept spilling everytime I turned and just walking by I smelled gas. Sucky thing about that seal is that its dealer item only
itsA4cylBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #9
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arcadia
Region: Florida
Posts: 2,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsA4cylBro View Post
There's also a gas evaporation valve on top with a hose and a seal. That seal always seems to rot on most cars my rotted big time so gas kept spilling everytime I turned and just walking by I smelled gas. Sucky thing about that seal is that its dealer item only
Seriously?? How hard was it to fix?
93mstnglx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
itsA4cylBro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: California
Posts: 283
U have to drop the tank down to fix it. The seal was easy to install but putting that valve in with the new seal without breaking the valve was so ****in hard . But managed with some big time screaming hahah . U should replace the seals all up there and the neck ones too while its down unless u wanna keep dropping the gas tank like I did because fuel pump went out fixed it then the fuel pump hose went out fixed it then the freaken valve I was mad by that time dropping the gas tank so many times. But its up to you lol. Two times were when bye gas tank was filled more then half way that **** was heavy .the last time it was almost empty . But a Jack and a flat piece of wood should help you a lot
itsA4cylBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #11
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arcadia
Region: Florida
Posts: 2,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsA4cylBro View Post
U have to drop the tank down to fix it. The seal was easy to install but putting that valve in with the new seal without breaking the valve was so ****in hard . But managed with some big time screaming hahah . U should replace the seals all up there and the neck ones too while its down unless u wanna keep dropping the gas tank like I did because fuel pump went out fixed it then the fuel pump hose went out fixed it then the freaken valve I was mad by that time dropping the gas tank so many times. But its up to you lol. Two times were when bye gas tank was filled more then half way that **** was heavy .the last time it was almost empty . But a Jack and a flat piece of wood should help you a lot
What did the seal run you on price?
93mstnglx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
itsA4cylBro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: California
Posts: 283
$10-15
itsA4cylBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #13
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arcadia
Region: Florida
Posts: 2,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsA4cylBro View Post
$10-15
OK cool thanks!
93mstnglx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
itsA4cylBro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: California
Posts: 283
Yeah good luck !
itsA4cylBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
98StangKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 922
The grommet/seal thing just busted on my Cobra a few weeks ago. Me and my dad replaced it. It was causing the same thing as your talking about.
__________________
'01 Cobra
Forged Internals, Limited Slip Differential, 3:73s, Bama Tune, Pro 5.0 Short Shifter, Mach 1 Air Intake, 31 Spline Moser Axles.
98StangKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:37 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
itsA4cylBro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: California
Posts: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98StangKid View Post
The grommet/seal thing just busted on my Cobra a few weeks ago. Me and my dad replaced it. It was causing the same thing as your talking about.
itsA4cylBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2.3 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



06:30 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.