2.3 to 5.0 help needed - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2.3 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
2.3 to 5.0 help needed

Can some one please provide me with a parts list to do a complete 5.0 swap into a 1991 mustang lx 2.3l I want the tranny info to thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2934326787.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	711.1 KB
ID:	94505   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4218859497.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	466.4 KB
ID:	94506  

1991stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Buy a wrecked 5.0 best bet
engine mounts, tranny mount , exhaust , wirirng harness , radiator , hoses etc ....
the list is long . but if you have a doner car you can just swap it all over ,it bolts in , I've done it many times
Old 03-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991stang
Can some one please provide me with a parts list to do a complete 5.0 swap into a 1991 mustang lx 2.3l I want the tranny info to thank you
It's a bit of stuff the 2.3l had a 7.5" rear end and the 5.0 had a 8.8 so you would need that and a t5 trans with the crossmember for it and I don't know if the drive shaft is the same I think you would probly need it tho a 5.0 k member an if your going efi the a a9l or a a9p computer with the motors wiring harness
DustyStang306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyStang306 View Post

It's a bit of stuff the 2.3l had a 7.5" rear end and the 5.0 had a 8.8 so you would need that and a t5 trans with the crossmember for it and I don't know if the drive shaft is the same I think you would probly need it tho a 5.0 k member an if your going efi the a a9l or a a9p computer with the motors wiring harness
The trans works just need a different bell housing
Old 03-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Plenty of people fair just fine with a 7.5 for a bit as long as you don't bang on on too hard to often. The 4cyl trans works with a v8 bell and the right pilot bearing.. The 4cyl trans won't hold up to too much abuse though
Old 03-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Plenty of people fair just fine with a 7.5 for a bit as long as you don't bang on on too hard to often. The 4cyl trans works with a v8 bell and the right pilot bearing.. The 4cyl trans won't hold up to too much abuse though
4 cyl it's the same tranny from the bell housing back just has different gear ratios the weak point is the clutch and he will be using the v8 flywheel and clutch
Old 03-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
The 4 cyl cars got a different fuel lines where it meets the fuel rails to I think from what I can remember
DustyStang306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Best bet is to buy a 5.0 donor car and swap out the parts. If not it will be a lot of pieceing together.
Cdbformula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford View Post

4 cyl it's the same tranny from the bell housing back just has different gear ratios the weak point is the clutch and he will be using the v8 flywheel and clutch
Not true. The HP and tq ratings are different and the gear ratios(like said are different) that means they share the same case... Also the diameter of the end of the input shaft is different.. The Tremec T5 in the new edge v6 much more closely mirrors Borg Warner T5 in the Fox v8 cars
Old 03-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Not true. The HP and tq ratings are different and the gear ratios(like said are different) that means they share the same case... Also the diameter of the end of the input shaft is different.. The Tremec T5 in the new edge v6 much more closely mirrors Borg Warner T5 in the Fox v8 cars
Well u learn somthing new everyday thanks
Old 03-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford View Post

Well u learn somthing new everyday thanks
Np, the input shaft issue is easily solved with the right pilot bearing. I've seen stick v8 shaft twisted in half on 4cyl trannys and 7.5 rears in slicks with welded gears.. It's really a crap shot using the 4 banger parts, I've also seen the 4cyl parts break the 1st time out behind a v8
Old 03-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Np, the input shaft issue is easily solved with the right pilot bearing. I've seen stick v8 shaft twisted in half on 4cyl trannys and 7.5 rears in slicks with welded gears.. It's really a crap shot using the 4 banger parts, I've also seen the 4cyl parts break the 1st time out behind a v8
Maybe that's why my trans is messing up lol
Old 03-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I think the torque capacities are about 40 lb. ft. Apart from the v8 to 4cyl t5s. And since it wasn't addressed, the driveshafts are the same. Also someone should be able to chime in, but there are non-engine harness wiring differences between 4 and 8 cyl cars.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
I think the torque capacities are about 40 lb. ft. Apart from the v8 to 4cyl t5s. And since it wasn't addressed, the driveshafts are the same. Also someone should be able to chime in, but there are non-engine harness wiring differences between 4 and 8 cyl cars.
Here's a link to a break down of the diff T5's and what they handle. After just a quick glance there are far too many diff T5's to blanket them with about 40 ft/lbs. I actually had no idea there were so many, with specs so far apart.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/349.shtml
Old 03-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Here's a link to a break down of the diff T5's and what they handle. After just a quick glance there are far too many diff T5's to blanket them with about 40 ft/lbs. I actually had no idea there were so many, with specs so far apart.
The Ranger Station has a simple chart available as well, and with a few rare exceptions they are around that 40 ft/lb difference. Biggest thing to watch for would be the combination of a steeper first gear and less capacity on the 4cyl boxes. The combination of the two could cause "problems".
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/T5ID.htm
Old 03-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post

The Ranger Station has a simple chart available as well, and with a few rare exceptions they are around that 40 ft/lb difference. Biggest thing to watch for would be the combination of a steeper first gear and less capacity on the 4cyl boxes. The combination of the two could cause "problems".
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/T5ID.htm
Amen to that lol the charts appear to be almost identical at a glance, the notes look slightly different, the ranger station looks like it has a few extra notes/info.
That's the great thing about these slightly older cars, basically everything and every combo of parts has been tested and recorded and nowadays all that info is getting easier and easier to find!
Old 03-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Amen to that lol the charts appear to be almost identical at a glance, the notes look slightly different, the ranger station looks like it has a few extra notes/info.
That's the great thing about these slightly older cars, basically everything and every combo of parts has been tested and recorded and nowadays all that info is getting easier and easier to find!
Absolutely. Helps when finding potential "steal" deals. A big name in the 2.3T game turned me onto this chart when he heard I was swapping an SVO mill into an '89. Turns out the stock t5 should suffice. I never would have thought! Gotta love our community.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2.3 Mustang