2.3 to a 5.0 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2.3 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #1

Region: Florida
2.3 to a 5.0

I'm buying a 5.0 to replace my 2.3 in my 1991 mustang convertible. I'm trying to decide if I want to go carburetor or fuel injection, any thoughts?
jacobpytlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Carb is so much less work drop take wire external tap into the ignition and put a ignition control module...I did in a 95 mustang v6 to a 5.0 carb
rghoover3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

What about 2.3 turbo?
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #4

Region: California
2.3 is much more work and most likely gonna coast more then 5.0 I have an 89 coup 4 cycl and I'm swaping it next year to a v8
Beatjunkiexorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I'd go efi it's a 91 so wouldnt be hard to the an a9l and wiring it's all plug an play pretty well an your not pissing around tuning the thing lol
DustyStang306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatjunkiexorge View Post
2.3 is much more work and most likely gonna coast more then 5.0 I have an 89 coup 4 cycl and I'm swaping it next year to a v8
I'm doing a turbo swap right now and I paid 700 for the motor, turbo(t3) FMIC, all the accessories, LA3 ecu, wiring harness. Another 100 for the flywheel, AFPR, and manual boost controller. The NA 4cyl T5 will swap over and work fine. All I need is a clutch and intercooler piping. I doubt that's "much more" money than a 5.0 swap, will make more power than a stock 5.0, and is an easier swap...
Old 05-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange

I'm doing a turbo swap right now and I paid 700 for the motor, turbo(t3) FMIC, all the accessories, LA3 ecu, wiring harness. Another 100 for the flywheel, AFPR, and manual boost controller. The NA 4cyl T5 will swap over and work fine. All I need is a clutch and intercooler piping. I doubt that's "much more" money than a 5.0 swap, will make more power than a stock 5.0, and is an easier swap...
Haha it all on what you want I like low end torque an if you were swapping to a 5.0 why would you do a stock one haha but the 2.3l to 5.0 swap is easy to the 4cyl t5 will work with a 5.0 an the 7.5 rear end would need changed to the 8.8 but thats just bolt in stuff there's no big mods the k member is probably the hardest part to put in...but your swap sounds like it should Work really well how much boost do you plan on running?
Old 05-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyStang306 View Post

Haha it all on what you want I like low end torque an if you were swapping to a 5.0 why would you do a stock one haha but the 2.3l to 5.0 swap is easy to the 4cyl t5 will work with a 5.0 an the 7.5 rear end would need changed to the 8.8 but thats just bolt in stuff there's no big mods the k member is probably the hardest part to put in...but your swap sounds like it should Work really well how much boost do you plan on running?
4cyl t5 is a bad idea with a 5.0.. input shaft is smaller, less torque capacity. It is much more reliable with another 2.3 that won't torque hard off the line. Only reason I said stock 5.0 was to rebute the "much more" cost reference. A built and dressed small block would cost more than I have in my entire project. 2.3t swap is a little easier(not that it matters I guess, as they're both simple swaps) considering you're swapping in an identical block with an almost identical harness. That being said, I'm looking to make around 260-300hp, no more than 20psi. T3 I have should flow the CFM's needed. It's an 89 coupe so it should be light enough to boogie and I have my 04GT for when I need my v8 fix.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange

4cyl t5 is a bad idea with a 5.0.. input shaft is smaller, less torque capacity. It is much more reliable with another 2.3 that won't torque hard off the line. Only reason I said stock 5.0 was to rebute the "much much more" cost reference. A built and dressed small block would cost more than I have in my entire project. 2.3t swap is a little easier(not that it matters I guess, as they're both simple swaps) considering you're swapping in an identical block with an almost identical harness. That being said, I'm looking to make around 260-300hp, no more than 20psi. T3 I have should flow the CFM's needed. It's an 89 coupe so it should be light enough to boogie and I have my 04GT for when I need my v8 fix.
Haha I know it's not just saying you could lol but that sounds sick man an ye it'll be a good fun between your 04gt if it's stock haha should be able to hit high 12's with some good tires
Old 05-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyStang306 View Post

Haha I know it's not just saying you could lol but that sounds sick man an ye it'll be a good fun between your 04gt if it's stock haha should be able to hit high 12's with some good tires
GT has CAI, TB/plenum, and full exhaust. The 4cyl should be faster, it won't be near as nice, though. No creature comforts. My wife drives an 05 v6, so i'll have the option of 4, 6, or 8cyl lol.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

2.3 turbo will be easy. It's all the same stuff all you need to do is redo the wiring harness. Oh and ecu. Plus you'll keep the good gas mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
mustangcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Plus a 2.3 tranny won't work with the

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
mustangcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2.3 Mustang